Whole Purpose Of Legato?
Ryan
Jul 18 2007, 10:57 PM
GMC:er
When do you use it ( I know its soley up to us)?? When is best to use legato?? Whats the sound difference between legato, and AP?? Accuracy??

What you can use legato on. You can just as easily use AP on right?? Is it faster?? I think so.

Im not very good at legato, and can just easily AP it instead, but well how much of a difference does it make, hwen you legato it?? And when you AP it??

I think i got all my questions in there!!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
AIB234
Jul 18 2007, 11:02 PM
It's got a much smoother sound.

Legato is more noticeable in wind instruments, especially the trombone to exaggerate for a second here.

Imagine if a trombone player didn't stop the air between his notes. His playing would literally be a constant sliding sound, I'm sure you know what it sounds like!

The sound you are trying to achieve is the same with legato. Instead of having a split second of what I will refer to as rest, it is constant, smooth sound.

Hope this helps!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jul 18 2007, 11:03 PM
Instructor
Legato gives much smoother sound than AP. It's also much faster than AP (if you make it faster) and with legato you are also avoiding that picking noise. Playing fast shred runs with AP makes it sound like a saw but if you play it legato it sounds much smoother. I use legato only for fast runs (like the one in my Sweeping Etude Lesson). Also some things can't be played legato because the pattern is too wild but also sometimes it's much better to use legato than AP.

Also if you practice legato you'll gain a lot of stamina for your left hand!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Ryan
Jul 18 2007, 11:11 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Jul 18 2007, 05:03 PM) *
Legato gives much smoother sound than AP. It's also much faster than AP (if you make it faster) and with legato you are also avoiding that picking noise. Playing fast shred runs with AP makes it sound like a saw but if you play it legato it sounds much smoother. I use legato only for fast runs (like the one in my Sweeping Etude Lesson). Also some things can't be played legato because the pattern is too wild but also sometimes it's much better to use legato than AP.

Also if you practice legato you'll gain a lot of stamina for your left hand!

Awesome thanks guys. Just what I needed!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Jul 21 2007, 05:11 AM
This is really a great thread, nice responses in here smile.gif

-John

Edit. I bookmarked this aswell smile.gif

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Ryan
Jul 22 2007, 08:14 AM
I guess my problem with legato is just keeping it smooth. Thats more or less the reason why i asked these quesitons. My legato isnt to smooth, and can alternate pick so much better. So now im gonna put a lot of time into my legato. I need a smooth fast legato.

I think that would help my playing a lot!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
AIB234
Jul 22 2007, 05:15 PM
Like anything else it takes practice.

Ironically enough, I find playing Legato slow much more difficult than playing it fast. Legato takes a lot of left hand endurance which, after a bit of playing it, I found out I don't have. Haha.

Be careful that if you're starting out that you don't have too much pressure between your index and thumb pressing down too hard. I was getting cramps and pain when I first started I was pushing so hard.

+Quote Post
Ryan
Jul 23 2007, 01:02 AM
Well i can tel I have gotten a lot better with my left hand. I was so bad with legato last week. When i tried to play pavels lesson. I coudl even keep it ini time at 60 BPM, and i couldnt fully sound out every note. Now its easy for me a week later. Still got to speed it up though biggrin.gif. I think its cus ive been doing a lot of Excerices. More than usual. biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Jul 23 2007, 03:08 AM
everytime i try to play small legato passages the notes just seem to start loosing volume. Can this be because of lack of Pull-Offs? sad.gif

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
stratman33
Jul 23 2007, 04:06 AM
QUOTE (FretDancer69 @ Jul 22 2007, 10:08 PM) *
everytime i try to play small legato passages the notes just seem to start loosing volume. Can this be because of lack of Pull-Offs? sad.gif

I have the same problem, but i think it's the crappy quality of my guitar dry.gif ...The sustain is HORRIBLE

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ryan
Jul 23 2007, 04:14 AM
If your new to it, and havent practiced much. Well thats some of yoru problem. Just keep on practicing it, slowly talways making everynote sound the same. It will take a little bit to get it right. It could be yoru pull-offs, bu thten again. You just might not be hammering on hard enough!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
AIB234
Jul 23 2007, 04:21 AM
Your legato will never be as loud as a normal picked note.

However, there is one way I've found that does help which is to increase your quickness, not the strength at which you hammer on with.

It's like badminton. It doesn't matter how hard or fast you swing your entire arm, the birdie will never go very far. However, as soon as you give a quick flick of the wrist, that birdie goes like no other.

I do believe the same principle is applicable here.

+Quote Post
Ryan
Jul 23 2007, 04:27 AM
Ok so when you do your hammer-ons, you dont use yoru arm, you sue yoru wrist?? tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jul 23 2007, 08:33 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (stratman33 @ Jul 23 2007, 05:06 AM) *
I have the same problem, but i think it's the crappy quality of my guitar dry.gif ...The sustain is HORRIBLE

The only problem is finger strength. If you are new to it - it's normal. It will take some time to get finger strength and coordination to hit the string, and do it in the right place. And one more thing is - stamina. Legato is a great way to build stamina but also requires stamina so - just practice!

Oh and btw - guitar sustain has nothing to do with it. smile.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Francis Viviers
Jul 23 2007, 08:42 AM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Jul 23 2007, 09:33 AM) *
The only problem is finger strength. If you are new to it - it's normal. It will take some time to get finger strength and coordination to hit the string, and do it in the right place. And one more thing is - stamina. Legato is a great way to build stamina but also requires stamina so - just practice!

Oh and btw - guitar sustain has nothing to do with it. smile.gif

Yep, my teacher in real life told me, to use something called the 6 minute trill exersise. So in essence you would do hammer on and pull offs non stop for 6 minutes. Really helps me allot. Another option is to use the 3 note per string major scale and practice it with hammer on and pull offs only. The pull of part is the worst sad.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 06:10 AM