Tone Knob Example
Mertay
Feb 25 2018, 06:35 PM
GMC:er
Was playing around with my pedals I wanted to share.

https://soundcloud.com/gitarg-nl-kleri/vai

The "vai" example is my typical OD setting which I like how it sounds on the clean channel too. The toneknob is set to a brighter position so although legato-tapping and harmonics jump out a bit easier, specially on the lower notes clarity decreases when picking. The faster you play the more scrambled it sounds.

https://soundcloud.com/gitarg-nl-kleri/petrucci?in=gitarg-nl-kleri/sets/toneknob

So without changing the OD settings, I chopped the highs between the OD and amp and called this the "petrucci" example. You immediately notice the notes come out more direct as thats what you want for faster runs. But if you cut too much highs then your bridge PU can sound like a neck or expression will be lost.

You can use an eq or od/clean boost (with eq) pedal to cut highs digital or analog doesn't matter but be careful don't add to much noise. Since pickups matter too experiment the high-cut before and after the OD pedal.

Rolling down the tone pot of the guitar as an alternative didn't work for me as gain is lost. You can always settle with a sweetspot but for recording purposes or if one never closes the OD I thought this should help.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Mertay: Feb 25 2018, 06:45 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 25 2018, 07:32 PM
How does it work with a mix? That's the where the rubber meets the road on tone. Sounds like you have a good handle on your tone! Are you still using a small amp and then running in to your laptop from the lineout? Or have you switched to an interface?

Todd
QUOTE (Mertay @ Feb 25 2018, 01:35 PM) *
Was playing around with my pedals I wanted to share.

https://soundcloud.com/gitarg-nl-kleri/vai

The "vai" example is my typical OD setting which I like how it sounds on the clean channel too. The toneknob is set to a brighter position so although legato-tapping and harmonics jump out a bit easier, specially on the lower notes clarity decreases when picking. The faster you play the more scrambled it sounds.

https://soundcloud.com/gitarg-nl-kleri/petrucci?in=gitarg-nl-kleri/sets/toneknob

So without changing the OD settings, I chopped the highs between the OD and amp and called this the "petrucci" example. You immediately notice the notes come out more direct as thats what you want for faster runs. But if you cut too much highs then your bridge PU can sound like a neck or expression will be lost.

You can use an eq or od/clean boost (with eq) pedal to cut highs digital or analog doesn't matter but be careful don't add to much noise. Since pickups matter too experiment the high-cut before and after the OD pedal.

Rolling down the tone pot of the guitar as an alternative didn't work for me as gain is lost. You can always settle with a sweetspot but for recording purposes or if one never closes the OD I thought this should help.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Mertay
Feb 25 2018, 08:25 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 25 2018, 06:32 PM) *
How does it work with a mix? That's the where the rubber meets the road on tone. Sounds like you have a good handle on your tone! Are you still using a small amp and then running in to your laptop from the lineout? Or have you switched to an interface?

Todd

Thanks smile.gif

If the amp is set high-gain like the soundcloud examples, it doesn't affect the overall tone much (maybe aside the bridge PU's scream). Think of it like changing pickups but keeping the rig same. Thats actually why I named them vai-petrucci; Vai prefers PU's with edge and a pedal with bright tone (legato, tapping...) while petrucci PU's have more mid focus (like your AN PU's) and his OD's tone knob setting is very dark with high-output (speedy picking).

You got me confused with someone else I guess (no laptop, 1-2 years ago I did use the onboard soundcard briefly after my previous soundcard died but that was temporary). What you heard was the boss gt-1 boosted with my EHX od Glove, the gt-1 is connected to a soundcard. My tone is never final biggrin.gif I still have my metalzone but I'm experimenting with an amp in the gt-1 (I think its based on Boss st-2)

Reason for soundcard is simply I don't want to keep the gt-1 open while watching movies etc. on my computer, if I'd want to take the recording tone serious I just select the gt-1 asio in DAW and connect my headphones to the gt-1.

This post has been edited by Mertay: Feb 25 2018, 10:09 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 05:33 AM