> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

Melodic Satch, Lesson By Ben Higgins
Grade
1-10
1 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
5 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
6 [ 3 ] ** [100.00%]
7 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
8 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
9 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
10 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 3

gl0ry
Dec 27 2014, 10:20 AM
Learning Rock Star
Original lesson: Melodic Satch by Ben Higgins

Hey guys! I'm back with a new take. Overall I thought it was an okay take. Timing was off in some spots and I was not able to hit some pinch harmonics that I wanted, Hopefully you guys still enjoy it. Hope everyone had a great holiday and looking forward to the new year!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Dec 27 2014, 12:48 PM
Instructor
Hi my friend, it's great to see you back in the REC Zone !

This is a very solid attempt. I really like your tone too. Guitar Rig maybe ?

As you've said yourself, the timing could be tighter. With these slow ballads, any notes that are out of time really stand out so this type of track is a real challenge to any player because it really demands a lot of control. You relaxed a bit more as the track went on but at the start you were just in front of the beat a bit, during the sliding phrases.

The pinch harmonics are a taste thing, if you manage to get them then great but even if you don't it's not going to count against you. For the pinch harmonics on the top E string I use an upstroke technique that allows you to use the flesh of your index finger to get the 'squeal' instead of the thumb. I explain it in the spoken video too (I think) That may help you get those high squeals too.

Your string bending technique is good with getting the pitch but your finger strength is still lacking so try to work on holding bends for longer.

The quicker phrases are a bit beyond your level at the moment but it doesn't mean you can't get them.. it might take a few weeks (or even longer) to build the finger reflexes for those passages but keep at it. As well as playing them slowly and perfectly you can play small fragments of them at high speed. Just pick a few notes that you can confidently hit at speed and cycle them with a rest in between. This trains speed without burning you out of stamina. It also prevents making mistakes by trying to play faster than you can. So remember to keep the speed bursts to small fragments of a lick. Add more notes as you get better until you can string an entire run together.

Good work, keep it going !

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Dec 27 2014, 08:03 PM
Instructor
AS Ben says - some phrases sound a bit beyond Your skills at the moment - You loose some notes in the middle of a lick. Also You tend to get out of pitch while making vibrato. I can probably detect the reason because I had similar issue. Sometimes we overreact while playing. We would like so much to translate our feelings to the guitar that we do some things a bit more intense than they really have to be. It's like" I wanna play like I feel but it sounds a bit to emotional". Most common effect of this is too fast, too wide vibrato or a little incorrect pitch. It happens smile.gif It nothing weird. The cure is to to focus on those moments to not overexpose those long notes with too much of motion while those notes in fact are a moments of breath in the melody. It's a bit hard to describe but I hope trying to imagind that "here is the spot for release of the tension i feel" is a best way smile.gif

Anyway You took a lot of effeort to bring us that version and it's visible You try a lot. It's a good way to success! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 28 2014, 12:46 PM
Instructor
Hey mate smile.gif

I think that the guys pointed out the important aspects linked to your playing in this take, which is clearly starting to build up very nicely. In order not to repeat something that they have already said, I would like to mention an important aspect, linked to the position of your thumb when bending and vibrating - I noticed it is positioned behind the neck, not really grabbing it - the guys mentioned the fact that you are having trouble with sustaining the bends and that happends due to not having enough grip and strength. If you position the thumb over the neck, you will get that strength smile.gif Watch Ben do it around 0:33 - 0:34 - it's very obvious there smile.gif Hope it all made sense!

Keep rocking!

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Fran
Dec 28 2014, 01:16 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Almost there, 6

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 08:55 AM