Pickup Suggestions, For an Ibanez Rg
ZakkWylde
Apr 18 2008, 01:15 PM
Learning Tone Master
I recently bought a Prestige Ibanez Rg 550 and I am very happy with it. I'm just disappointed by the stock Ibz/Dimarzio Pickups. The Neck Humbucker is totally useless, no tone no feel; the Bridge is an ''OK'' pickup but too weak for my needs and the single coil is quite good but it has magnet knobs on top of it and I keep striking them while picking which slows me down so this one needs replacement too. I need a bridge humbucker for metal and soloing, a neck humbucker with a smooth tone for leads,melodies and shredding and a coil for cleans.

I am looking for the new pickups:

-Bridge: Pretty sure that I will go for a Seymour Duncan Jeff Beck here but I am open for other suggestions
-Neck: Can't decide if I should go for a SD 59 or Jazz here
-Middle: I don't know anything about coils, maybe a coil sized SD 59? Must have good cleans

If I can not find anything that fits my sound perfectly then I will go for a complete Dimarzio Evolution Set, but it's not my first choice since I played Jem long enough to know how they sound...

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by ZakkWylde: Apr 18 2008, 01:15 PM

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 18 2008, 03:10 PM
Instructor
I would go for a Jazz in the neck for a greater versatility. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
Apr 18 2008, 11:30 PM
Instructor
you can use active EMG /Duncan /demarzio

+Quote Post
Danilo Capezzuto
Apr 19 2008, 05:34 PM
Instructor
Air norton neck, jem single, steve's special bridge.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Man0waR
Apr 19 2008, 06:05 PM
GMC:er
I have an RG370dx and I'm also interested in upgrading the current pickups - INFS3 in the mid and INF4 brige/neck.

Will any Seymour Duncan usual humbucker fit with this RG ? I pretty much am interested to slap a SH13 Dimebucker in the bridge and I want something that will be very calm and clean in the middle as my single coil and the neck - open for suggestions ... any help smile.gif ?

+Quote Post
Moon Boots
Apr 19 2008, 09:17 PM
Zakk Wildes EMG 81 and EMG 85 set are pretty popular. They aren't to everyone's taste but if your looking for a seriously dirty heavy metal tone then they're the best around.

Edit: Yeah, any Seymour Duncan should fit the humbucker slot on an RG.

This post has been edited by Moon Boots: Apr 19 2008, 09:18 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bali
Apr 19 2008, 09:24 PM
I've got an ibanez RG with dimarzios:

Paf Pro on the neck
Fred on the bridge

This 2 pups cover all the possible sounds, I love this combo.
The paf is clean and ringing, the fred is the pup with more armonics on DM line (designed for joe satriani). Great for saturation and sustain.

+Quote Post
Danilo Capezzuto
Apr 20 2008, 01:16 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Man0waR @ Apr 19 2008, 07:05 PM) *
I have an RG370dx and I'm also interested in upgrading the current pickups - INFS3 in the mid and INF4 brige/neck.

Will any Seymour Duncan usual humbucker fit with this RG ? I pretty much am interested to slap a SH13 Dimebucker in the bridge and I want something that will be very calm and clean in the middle as my single coil and the neck - open for suggestions ... any help smile.gif ?

Yes the humbucker fit with you guitar. What kind of music you play? The standard setup for Seymour Duncan is a JB bridge and a Little '59 neck...but post your style and music before we suggest you a type of pickup ok? Bye.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 01:45 PM