How To Disable Xp Gs Wavetable Synth
geoboi
Oct 11 2012, 07:36 PM
GMC:er
Does anybody know how to disable the Widows XP GS Wavetable Synth?
I'ts grabbing my port and won't allow sound out. In ASIO4all PDF instructions it says to disable the GS Wavetable Synth. I've tried several ways like removing the gm.dls and swmidi.dls files from Windows Sytem32 folder. Going to Hardware Manager and showing hidden devises and disabling them. I can't un-select it in the Windows Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devises, as there is no way to un-select it. I have a Sigma Tel Audio card that I suspect is the problem. It has no option to un-select the GS Wavetable Synth.

I'm using a Mustang Fender amp that is hooked up to PC by USB. I'm told this should work without an interface.

Would a digital interface such as Line6 UX1 or Mackie Onyx Blackjack eliminate this problem?

Any Ideas?

Thanks
George

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 11 2012, 07:49 PM
Instructor
I've never done this but what's the reason why you should disable it?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
geoboi
Oct 12 2012, 01:02 AM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 11 2012, 11:49 AM) *
I've never done this but what's the reason why you should disable it?

Hey Gabriel
Well like I was explaining the GS Wavetable Synth is prioritizing the sound out. When I open Reaper I can record but I get no sound out. The ASIO driver properties shows the sound out is red X-ed and the popup tag indicates that the GS Wavetable has control of it. This is also the case when using Amplitube. I can get sound in but not out and the ASIO properties indicates that Wavetable has control over that as well. Some people have been able to override this and disable it. Their solutions have not worked for me. It seems it might be a bit complicated to disable it in the XP registry even though I have found all the places it's listed. As I was saying it might be the nature of my sound card a Sigma Tel Auidio, it might not be flexible enough for such a thing. But that's why I'm asking.

According to Fender support I should be able to use the amps USB cord to port into the PC with out a digital interface and use the Apmlitube sim and Reaper.
The GMC vid, How to Record Guitar Videos with Great Sound suggests the same. None of this seems to work.

My reason is I don't have an interface device and it will be some time before I can get one. This is all an effort to get better sound for recording my practice uploads. Right now all I can do is use the cruddy mic on the PC vid cam. The worst that can happen is I'm stuck with poor recording and vid until I can get an interface.

Well that's the story thanks
George

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Oct 12 2012, 01:34 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (geoboi @ Oct 12 2012, 01:02 AM) *
Hey Gabriel
Well like I was explaining the GS Wavetable Synth is prioritizing the sound out. When I open Reaper I can record but I get no sound out. The ASIO driver properties shows the sound out is red X-ed and the popup tag indicates that the GS Wavetable has control of it. This is also the case when using Amplitube. I can get sound in but not out and the ASIO properties indicates that Wavetable has control over that as well. Some people have been able to override this and disable it. Their solutions have not worked for me. It seems it might be a bit complicated to disable it in the XP registry even though I have found all the places it's listed. As I was saying it might be the nature of my sound card a Sigma Tel Auidio, it might not be flexible enough for such a thing. But that's why I'm asking.

According to Fender support I should be able to use the amps USB cord to port into the PC with out a digital interface and use the Apmlitube sim and Reaper.
The GMC vid, How to Record Guitar Videos with Great Sound suggests the same. None of this seems to work.

My reason is I don't have an interface device and it will be some time before I can get one. This is all an effort to get better sound for recording my practice uploads. Right now all I can do is use the cruddy mic on the PC vid cam. The worst that can happen is I'm stuck with poor recording and vid until I can get an interface.

Well that's the story thanks
George

try , in reaper preferences swichting audio devices from segma tel to asio for all

+Quote Post
geoboi
Oct 12 2012, 07:00 PM
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Oct 11 2012, 05:34 PM) *
try , in reaper preferences swichting audio devices from segma tel to asio for all

Howdy jstcrsn;
Thanks for the suggestion. The issue originates way before you would launch Reaper. The GS Wavetable is a Windows Kernel Modual that starts after windows boots. At that time it takes control. So options as you suggest are simply not available. I think it's the flexibility of my sound card because other people have been able to turn it off. I'm pretty sure I can disable it (I think, I hope) in the Windows Registry I just don't know how yet.

When I am able to get a digital interface I won't have this issue and I also just realized I've got a broken computer with a Sound Blaster card that may change things.

Anyhow thanks for taking the time to respond;
George

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 15 2012, 02:50 PM
Instructor
That's weird mate... did you try with Amplitube? going to audio settings and selecting Asio4all as the driver...

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
geoboi
Oct 19 2012, 07:07 AM
Hey Gabriel
Yeah I tried all that stuff. Eventually I succeeded by pulling out another sound card from a broken PC. I did get hosed in the end though. When it came time to get the vid cam with a mic going; I also ran that through the PC, it started all over again. This time the vid cam was competing with the guitar input. Windows XP only allows one sound card at a time, and no matter how I configured Reaper or AISO I only got one or the other. I guess I need a Mac tongue.gif . So for now it's just the vid cam and Movie Maker. No glory eh laugh.gif I did learned a lot though, which will be a benefit as I buy the gear in the future. Hopefully I'll buy it right and buy it once.

Thanks for your time
George

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 04:26 PM