2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Getting That Perfect Tone?
Azzaboi
Jul 20 2010, 07:58 PM
GMC:er
Awesome, again Zakk your answered my dieing question spot on, you must really know your stuff!

If you haven't noticed I'm a money saving freak, but ever now and then I'll buy big (if I think it's worth it) after researching it like crazy.

I might get the those pickups for my birthday, they sound pretty sweet and versatile. smile.gif
Thanks again.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Azzaboi: Jul 20 2010, 09:13 PM

--------------------

Play Games Arcade
Take a break, Play Games! Play the best free online flash games at Aaron's Game Zone like Bloons Tower Defense 4!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fre
Jul 20 2010, 08:43 PM
Learning Rock Star
Nobody uses Ibanez picks?
I like 'em a lot! They have this fine sand grip and point.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Jul 20 2010, 09:14 PM
I've never actually tried Ibanez picks before, I'll see if I can find them in the guitar shop to try out.

--------------------

Play Games Arcade
Take a break, Play Games! Play the best free online flash games at Aaron's Game Zone like Bloons Tower Defense 4!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 20 2010, 11:29 PM
Instructor
These Ibanez picks look very nice. I gotta find some to check them out, they seem like a good pick to use. I wonder what's the material used?

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jul 20 2010, 11:37 PM
Learning Tone Master
I don't play the Ibanez sandgrip ones any more... The material is grinding down way to fast!
I play one thrash metal song with them and they become very dull! You can sharpen them once or twice and by then there is so much material gone that you can't use them anymore -.-

Also they are quite expensive compared to other picks (Jazz III= 0,90$ , Ibanez= 2,00$)

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Jul 20 2010, 11:49 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Jul 21 2010, 12:37 AM) *
I don't play the Ibanez sandgrip ones any more... The material is grinding down way to fast!
I play one thrash metal song with them and they become very dull! You can sharpen them once or twice and by then there is so much material gone that you can't use them anymore -.-

Also they are quite expensive compared to other picks (Jazz III= 0,90$ , Ibanez= 2,00$)

+1

Though the both cost the same at my store, 10NOK/1,5$ per pick, I agree that they is worn out too fast. I used to play the heavy ones, but I found out that Jazz III (amongst several) were more durable

--------------------
Take your music seriously, but not yourself

+Quote Post
Fre
Jul 21 2010, 10:12 AM
Learning Rock Star
The problem is that it is the only good pick in the local music store.
But it isn't expensive here in Belgium. But I really need to try the Jazz III

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Jul 22 2010, 12:25 AM
The Gibson pickups are good for Rock and blues stuff but they are wound to sound vintage like and that's what makes them muiddy under high gain. For a Les Paul, I would get a Seymour Duncan SH-5 in the bridge and an Sh-1 in the neck.

The Sh-5 Custom has a ceramic magnet which gives you more cut, a sharper sound and tighter attack (and also more output). The pickup however is not too hot and has a balanced sound - you can play extremely heavy stuff with it aswell as Rock or blues!
The Sh-1 59 is a classic PAF style neck pickup that fits perfectly to the sound of the SH-5 in the bridge. It's also very versatile!

You will hear A HUGE diffrence in your guitars sound and pickung response!

I went to a couple of guitar stores to check the cost + install of the SH-5 and SH-1, they however said they don't recommend swapping the pickup because its a toss up to if it would be a major difference and it would decrease the re-sale value of the original guitar? If you do go for it research it like hell and keep the original picksup, it would cost $160NZ - $199NZ per pickup and $100NZ install cost = ~$500NZ. Hard to find with the Nickel covers, maybe SH-6 instead of SH-5?

Still wondering if it's worth doing?

--------------------

Play Games Arcade

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jul 22 2010, 12:52 AM
Learning Roadie
V-Picks!!! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Jul 22 2010, 01:03 AM
I've sent v-pick vinnie a couple of emails already (three days ago+) but they never reply to me - contact forum or directly sad.gif
So much for their always replying to customers - maybe they don't want any of my cash i guess...

I was wondering which one(s) would be best to get for my style of playing and setup?

Also if they would deliver outside of US (to New Zealand)?

Praetorian is also kindly sending me a Jazz III XL pick to try out for free, should be awesome, thank you thank you thank you biggrin.gif
I can't find them anywhere in guitar shops around here, just the normal small Jazz IIIs.

This post has been edited by Azzaboi: Jul 22 2010, 01:08 AM

--------------------

Play Games Arcade

+Quote Post
slash48
Jul 25 2010, 04:11 AM
QUOTE (Azzaboi @ Jul 21 2010, 08:03 PM) *
I've sent v-pick vinnie a couple of emails already (three days ago+) but they never reply to me - contact forum or directly sad.gif
So much for their always replying to customers - maybe they don't want any of my cash i guess...

I was wondering which one(s) would be best to get for my style of playing and setup?

Also if they would deliver outside of US (to New Zealand)?

Praetorian is also kindly sending me a Jazz III XL pick to try out for free, should be awesome, thank you thank you thank you biggrin.gif
I can't find them anywhere in guitar shops around here, just the normal small Jazz IIIs.

If I may butt in about picks... I have tried all the Jazz III picks, a few V-Picks, and many other assorted brands. The first time I tried a regular Jazz III black pick I thought it was heaven for lead but not so great at all for chords. They were a tiny bit too small and the material felt like I was strumming chords with a rock. Same for the Jazz III XL with the material.
And then I found the Eric Johnson Jazz III... Eric Johnson had them scan a vintage Jazz III from his collection and had them recreate it to his standards. (The Jazz III on the market a while back used to be different then the one today.)
First of all it's just a tiny bit bigger then the regular Jazz III making it better in my taste. Second and most important, it allows you to play lead AND chords effortlessly by making it with versatile material and keeping a distance between your fingers and the pick where it takes less effort to play lead but your hand isn't cramped playing chords making it ideal for Rock, Metal, and all types of other genres. Third, it has indented letters so you can grip it easily.

Anyways, sorry for the pick rant, I've always been a pick freak. tongue.gif Order some, you'll like 'em. Take it easy

--------------------

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jul 25 2010, 12:08 PM
Learning Tone Master
The sh-6 is more metal and less versatile than the sh-5.

How would and UPGRADE decrease the resell value of a guitar?!? Maybe to some Gibson fanatics that only want the original stock parts... It's not like you are getting rid of the stock pickups - you can put them back into the guitar when you try to sell it or you can include them to the guitar when you are selling it.

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Jul 25 2010, 06:42 PM
Yeah, I'm definitely keeping the original pickups so it can be reversed back (if and when it comes time to sell). Like you said Gibson fanatics want the guitar in it's classic original state, still allowing that option is highly recommended.

I guess I'm scared, scared by the so many options and different tones pickups make in different guitar bodies - don't want to hurt my baby. But I did pick up my *censor* and go for it after I got a great deal $100-$200NZ cheaper than anywhere else because no install/delivery charges. It's in the store now, will take around 5 days to complete. Been 2 days so far, I already miss her and feel empty, gees, I really need to get a gf again rather than the guitar! lol

Thanks slash48 for the advice, I might try those another time.

I'm getting a Jazz III XL to try, thanks to Praetorian smile.gif
I'm getting the SH-5 and SH-1 pickups installed at the moment, thanks to Zakk's advice.
It also sounds like my parents order a couple v-picks for me, thanks to theFireBall's advice.

It's a waiting game now, fingers crossed, will let you know how it goes. Thanks all!

--------------------

Play Games Arcade

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Jul 30 2010, 04:44 AM
Got my guitar back with the new pickups installed...
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in the bridge and an Sh-1 in the neck.

I would say at first I didn't actually like them, but I grew to love it!

I lost some of the blues and vintage sound sound and the low bass, it also has a slight buzz compared to the original Gibson pickups. Seems to have less volume so I turned the Amp volume up from 2 to 3, lol.

They also changed the tone pots from 300k to 500k, making it a much brighter sound rather than warm and smooth.

It didn't sound too different until I ripped into a solo.

The clarity is insane, you can hear each note ring over the previous, sweep picking is so much cleaner. Harmonics are louder and much greater high end, sloped mids and slightly raised lows. I'm loving solos, much cleaner, rythm also has more attack. You can dig into more.

I also got the v-picks in the mail to play with today, interesting, makes a different tone yet again (again not too huge at first). The grip does help with keeping the hand relaxed and smooth, played 'Flight of the Bubblebee' from beginning to end perfectly for the first time, the pickups and shred v-pick made a huge differences at those speeds. You can clearly hear every note!

Yet to get the Jazz III XL from the post, might take a little longer. I'll like to see the different between that and the pointed v-pick.

I guess you can clearly hear mistakes too, heh, I better go practice more.
Love the feel and sounds of the guitar and those picks, the more I play, the more I love it!

This post has been edited by Azzaboi: Jul 30 2010, 04:48 AM

--------------------

Play Games Arcade

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 06:07 AM