What To Do, What To Do...
Zephyr
Dec 21 2007, 12:05 AM
GMC:er
At the moment, my main gear is a Schecter C-1 Classic, a Boss GT-8, and a Carvin SX200 (or most of the time, my computer speakers... laugh.gif). What do you guys recommend aiming for next?

I think a tube amp would be very nice to have (Carvin Legacy series? Maybe a Fender/Marshall...), or at least a better amp, but I don't even use an amp very often at the moment, even when I do, I just get all of my effects from my GT-8. While I'm talking about amps, does anyone have any idea where you can buy Bogner amps, or even what kind of price range they're in? I can't find any information online about buying them...

I could look at individual pedals, such as a Bad Horsie (I don't like the wah on the GT-8 at all, one of the few things I dislike about it.), or maybe some overdrive pedals, such as an Ibanez Tubescreamer. I like the tone I have on the GT-8, but I'm kind of a tone freak, I've never had a tone I'm totally content with.

And then, of course, there's always another guitar. If I do save for a guitar, the next victim would almost definitely be an Ibanez JEM. What do you guys think?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Zephyr: Dec 21 2007, 12:08 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 7)
Chris Evans
Dec 21 2007, 12:34 AM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
If you mainly use the PC speakers/headphones then I`d leave the amp and save my cash for a Jem wink.gif

The GT-8 is a fine MFX unit, so I wouldnt change that either, imo anyways smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Smells: Dec 21 2007, 12:35 AM

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
g-forcelover
Dec 21 2007, 12:40 AM
a mockingbird special for $669 is almost as good as a JEM. it shreds so fast!!

--------------------

i tripped and broke my guitar's neck. :(

+Quote Post
Tjchep
Dec 21 2007, 12:44 AM
QUOTE (g-forcelover @ Dec 21 2007, 12:40 AM) *

Wouldnt go THAT far, necks a bit thick, but thats my personal oppinion.

Anyways, something that IS DEFIANTLY compatible to jems are Caparison's very well made, ment to shred, and sound GREAT, and everyone doesn't have them!

tj

--------------------
Check out my playing here - https://www.youtube.com/user/tjchep

+Quote Post
g-forcelover
Dec 21 2007, 12:47 AM
QUOTE (Tjchep @ Dec 20 2007, 06:44 PM) *
Wouldnt go THAT far, necks a bit thick, but thats my personal oppinion.

Anyways, something that IS DEFIANTLY compatible to jems are Caparison's very well made, ment to shred, and sound GREAT, and everyone doesn't have them!

tj

now that i think to when i played it, it was a bit thick (the neck) and the strap thing was on the back and it would rub against me and hurt. But i'm mentioning the mockingbird cause im not used to giving advice to someone that can afford over a $1,000 guitar. tongue.gif

--------------------

i tripped and broke my guitar's neck. :(

+Quote Post
skennington
Dec 21 2007, 05:35 AM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
QUOTE (Zephyr @ Dec 20 2007, 06:05 PM) *
At the moment, my main gear is a Schecter C-1 Classic, a Boss GT-8, and a Carvin SX200 (or most of the time, my computer speakers... laugh.gif). What do you guys recommend aiming for next?

I think a tube amp would be very nice to have (Carvin Legacy series? Maybe a Fender/Marshall...), or at least a better amp, but I don't even use an amp very often at the moment, even when I do, I just get all of my effects from my GT-8. While I'm talking about amps, does anyone have any idea where you can buy Bogner amps, or even what kind of price range they're in? I can't find any information online about buying them...

I could look at individual pedals, such as a Bad Horsie (I don't like the wah on the GT-8 at all, one of the few things I dislike about it.), or maybe some overdrive pedals, such as an Ibanez Tubescreamer. I like the tone I have on the GT-8, but I'm kind of a tone freak, I've never had a tone I'm totally content with.

And then, of course, there's always another guitar. If I do save for a guitar, the next victim would almost definitely be an Ibanez JEM. What do you guys think?

Tone freak, definately look at different amplification.
Link to dealers for Bogner but do consider a Marshall tongue.gif

http://www.bogneramplification.com/

click on dealers!

+Quote Post
Zephyr
Dec 21 2007, 06:13 AM
QUOTE (g-forcelover @ Dec 20 2007, 03:40 PM) *

If I do go for a guitar, then I'm pretty sure it'll be a JEM, unless I happen to run into something better...

QUOTE (skennington @ Dec 20 2007, 08:35 PM) *
Tone freak, definately look at different amplification.
Link to dealers for Bogner but do consider a Marshall tongue.gif

http://www.bogneramplification.com/

click on dealers!

Ah, thanks! I must have missed the dealers link last time. I know a better amp is definitely needed at some point, but right now I always play through my computer at home, expect for Sundays when I play at my church, but even then I just play through an amp there. Besides, I doubt I'll need a tube amp for stuff like that... laugh.gif So, I don't think it would be used much until I start doing gigs. I know it's probably the best thing for me now, but I don't think I would really use it much. sad.gif

This post has been edited by Zephyr: Dec 21 2007, 06:13 AM

+Quote Post
Goliath
Dec 21 2007, 01:59 PM
Zephyr, I'd keep practicing until you find out really what it is you want.

The position you're in is dangerous. Try to buy equipment you have more of a "need" for than a flat out "want". I've bought plenty of equip. that I've regretted a couple months later, and if I had just held onto the cash I could have had a high quality piece of equipment that I actually need (like a nice head).

My advice to you would be record some of your playing then sit down and listen to it. What do you think needs the most improvement? Whatever you decide hold out for something extraordinarily high quality that you won't want to readily replace and keep test driving equipment until you KNOW that is what you want and don't buy that day. Go home, read these boards and make sure you aren't pulled in another direction, come back the next day and buy it.

Heh the reason I say all of this is because I found myself very much like you a month or so ago where I kept buying gear I perceived myself as wanting, and have had to part with much of it simply because once I got it it wasn't all it was cracked up to be. It wasn't until I played the LTD DV8-R that I finally understood what I had been looking for. Now I'm a sucker for string thru/neck thru guitars, especially in the King V format. Now I know I want another King V (Dean VMNT1, or ESP DV8), but at this point I NEED an amp to play with, the pod is cool but not best suited to playing live. So I'm going to chill out and sit back until I come home with an amp I really am satisfied with and won't want to upgrade a year or two down the line. What you might consider doing is just making due in the meantime with your current setup then set a goal of like $3k to save up to then you can really figure out what it is you want. Odds are by the time you get there, you'll have a better understanding of what you really need by the time you get there. Just my $.02 after throwing away thousands of dollars on equipment I didn't need and wasn't completely happy with. Plus, by the time you get there, your chops will have improved to a point where you can more greatly appreciate the equipment as you test drive it.

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 07:07 AM