2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Faster Movements Vs Smaller Movements
Keilnoth
Jan 5 2010, 10:14 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Today I've realized that I was doing something really wrong while trying to improve my speed. I think I am a fairly slow player. I barely crossed the 80bmp barrier.

I currently read the very good book of Guthrie Govan : Creative Guitar #1. This book is full of nice tips and tricks even for intermediate players to improve every aspect of our playing.

On the chapter about speed, Guthrie points out something very interesting. Speed doesn't come from faster movements but from smaller movements and that experienced players probably move their fingers less than beginners.

Perhaps it sounds very obvious for you. But for me it wasn't. I've just realized how much useless movement I make when picking so I tried during 1 hour or so to concentrate slowly on keeping my fingers right above the strings at a few millimeters and after a few minutes of playing some rhythm I already feel more comfortable and faster. smile.gif

Hope this will be useful for you too...

Cheers biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

My Guitars: Fender Stratocaster Billy Corgan Signature, Ibanez RG270
My Amp: Peavey Bandit 112
My Pedals: Blackstar HT-Dual, Boss DD-7, Boss CS-3, Boss RC-20
My Wishlist: New bridge + Pickups for my Ibanez, EHX POG2, EHX Cathedral / Holy Grail
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ruben_mcn
Jan 5 2010, 10:45 PM
Learning Roadie
Ii have the same problem :S i´m still tryn to figure out how to solve it :S

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
carpathian Etude
Jan 5 2010, 11:55 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Keilnoth @ Jan 5 2010, 09:14 PM) *
Today I've realized that I was doing something really wrong while trying to improve my speed. I think I am a fairly slow player. I barely crossed the 80bmp barrier.

I currently read the very good book of Guthrie Govan : Creative Guitar #1. This book is full of nice tips and tricks even for intermediate players to improve every aspect of our playing.

On the chapter about speed, Guthrie points out something very interesting. Speed doesn't come from faster movements but from smaller movements and that experienced players probably move their fingers less than beginners.

Perhaps it sounds very obvious for you. But for me it wasn't. I've just realized how much useless movement I make when picking so I tried during 1 hour or so to concentrate slowly on keeping my fingers right above the strings at a few millimeters and after a few minutes of playing some rhythm I already feel more comfortable and faster. smile.gif

Hope this will be useful for you too...

Cheers biggrin.gif

yeah its like an economy of movement thing, i notice that smaller movements improve speed, sounds like a good article that you were reading from guthrie. cheers...Paul

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 6 2010, 12:57 AM
Instructor
It's all about micro-movements and micro-pauses on micro-tempos smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jan 6 2010, 10:43 AM
Lets go fishing!

Experienced players are making smaller movements your correct smile.gif

This happens naturally though with allot of practice, I have noticed it myself. It is my personal belief that the sub-conscious mind works out the most efficient way too pick given enough time smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Mr T
Jan 6 2010, 10:53 AM
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Jan 6 2010, 10:43 AM) *
Experienced players are making smaller movements your correct smile.gif

This happens naturally though with allot of practice, I have noticed it myself. It is my personal belief that the sub-conscious mind works out the most efficient way too pick given enough time smile.gif

The sub-conscious is pretty important. I notice that I'm only as fast as with what I feel comfortable and confident. At some point it will be impossible to count everything, but through practice you'll feel what is correct at higher speeds.

--------------------

Roland Cube 30; Toneport GX; Cort kx1; Ibanez RG1570; Ibanez EW35ABE-NT

http://www.last.fm/user/Mr_T83

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jan 6 2010, 11:30 AM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (Mr T @ Jan 6 2010, 09:53 AM) *
The sub-conscious is pretty important. I notice that I'm only as fast as with what I feel comfortable and confident. At some point it will be impossible to count everything, but through practice you'll feel what is correct at higher speeds.

Its also my personal feeling that as long as you are playing clean, you are a better player than all those who are playing fast but sloppy. The speed will always eventually come as long as you are practicing clean and consice smile.gif But untill then as long as everything sounds good that is the main thing smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Jan 6 2010, 11:38 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Keilnoth @ Jan 5 2010, 09:14 PM) *

I agree. I have both parts #1 and #2. Highly recomended for everyone. If you master these 2 books you can easily be there with the top guys.

This is also true but this comes with time and experience where you get to the point that you don't really think much of your finger movement.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jan 6 2010, 09:18 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Jan 6 2010, 11:38 AM) *
I agree. I have both parts #1 and #2. Highly recomended for everyone. If you master these 2 books you can easily be there with the top guys.

This is also true but this comes with time and experience where you get to the point that you don't really think much of your finger movement.

Hell yeah, those books are amazing!! biggrin.gif

And ofc I agree with 2nd statement, you forget about those things eventually
as you get to the stage when your movements are smaller naturally,
the only way to get there is practicing. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
-Zion-
Jan 6 2010, 10:08 PM
Learning Roadie
ya.. i think a lot of the problem lies in the movement radius of your wrist and what i would call "flying fingers", and this i believe is a primary objective to minimize in order to reach faster-than-light-blowing-up-the-sun shredding speed technique..

"flying fingers" is of course when you hit a note with your finger your finger fly too far away from the fretboard when you remove your finger again.. i do this, and my finger gets 3-4 cm away from the fretboard..

usually the index finger is alright, but the rest is just flying too far away most of the time.. the ideal would be to just raise the finger just above the string so it can just vibrate without your finger hitting it..

I've heard that if you focus completely on the flying fingers it can be "cured" by lots of practice, and the flying will be greatly minimized in a matter of week(s)..

+Quote Post
Keilnoth
Jan 6 2010, 10:15 PM
That's what I am trying to do. Consciously working on the problem, because unconsciously it's gonna take years. smile.gif

--------------------

My Wishlist: New bridge + Pickups for my Ibanez, EHX POG2, EHX Cathedral / Holy Grail

+Quote Post
Staffy
Jan 6 2010, 10:25 PM
Learning Tone Master
I agree to almost all Guthrie say's, if not all... These books is by the best I read on guitar playing so far. But regarding the fingers position I think the keyword is "control", since sometimes You will need those flying fingers to hit some notes really hard with hammer-ons, and sometimes You need Your thumb above the neck as well as holding it like a classical player. If You master all way's of playing You can't go wrong.... smile.gif

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
twist
Jan 6 2010, 10:31 PM
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Jan 6 2010, 11:38 AM) *

Hey, as i read all this good stuff about those books it made me want to have them.
Can you please tell me if these are the ones you were speaking about?

Book #1
Book #2

Thank you!

--------------------
rivers just happen

+Quote Post
Staffy
Jan 6 2010, 10:39 PM
Learning Tone Master
Yeps, these are the ones!

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2

+Quote Post
Keilnoth
Jan 6 2010, 11:49 PM
There is a third one but not written by Guthrie. It is about effects and is a lot more about hardware. I haven't fully read any of those for now tho.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jan 7 2010, 01:54 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Staffy @ Jan 6 2010, 10:25 PM) *
I agree to almost all Guthrie say's, if not all... These books is by the best I read on guitar playing so far. But regarding the fingers position I think the keyword is "control", since sometimes You will need those flying fingers to hit some notes really hard with hammer-ons, and sometimes You need Your thumb above the neck as well as holding it like a classical player. If You master all way's of playing You can't go wrong.... smile.gif

//Staffay

Absolutely!!
You can't have small movements for everything, both hands included. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 7 2010, 03:04 AM
Instructor
I agree, big movements are just as good, as long as they are executed properly.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
zen
Jan 7 2010, 09:08 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (-Zion- @ Jan 7 2010, 08:08 AM) *
ya.. i think a lot of the problem lies in the movement radius of your wrist and what i would call "flying fingers", and this i believe is a primary objective to minimize in order to reach faster-than-light-blowing-up-the-sun shredding speed technique..

"flying fingers" is of course when you hit a note with your finger your finger fly too far away from the fretboard when you remove your finger again.. i do this, and my finger gets 3-4 cm away from the fretboard..

usually the index finger is alright, but the rest is just flying too far away most of the time.. the ideal would be to just raise the finger just above the string so it can just vibrate without your finger hitting it..

I've heard that if you focus completely on the flying fingers it can be "cured" by lots of practice, and the flying will be greatly minimized in a matter of week(s)..

This is one of my main obstacles in achieving speed .. Thank you for the wonderful term .. Yes, I got flyin fingers too laugh.gif .. I will try and get my hands on those books immediately. Cheers.

--------------------
"If the need is deep, you WILL find a way , if it isn't, you'll find some excuse"

Check out my Student Instructor Lesson on Metal Riffing HERE

Visit My Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
-Zion-
Jan 7 2010, 09:42 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Jan 7 2010, 01:54 AM) *
Absolutely!!
You can't have small movements for everything, both hands included. smile.gif

QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jan 7 2010, 03:04 AM) *
I agree, big movements are just as good, as long as they are executed properly.

Ya, indeed.. however, for faster-than-light shredding you cannot have flying fingers.. thats my theory anyways.. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Staffy
Jan 7 2010, 09:56 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (-Zion- @ Jan 7 2010, 09:42 AM) *
Ya, indeed.. however, for faster-than-light shredding you cannot have flying fingers.. thats my theory anyways.. laugh.gif

Yeah, You've right about that, but on the other hand I would'nt put so much importance in this matter since the hands pretty much adjusts themselves to get the job done. In my experience - studying my own technique and comparing it to what it say's in books and even here - I have discovered that I'm playing pretty much how it "shall" be. And that is without ever paying any importance on such things as holding the guitar right, put Your fingers here or there or doin this or that etc. I think the hand movements just will come naturally if You practice a lot.... Picking is another story though.... (but I'm not a faster-than-light shredding player, so I might be wrong bout this... tongue.gif )

//Staffay

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 10:21 PM