2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Berried Alive Accusations Of "fake" Are False
Todd Simpson
Apr 1 2021, 06:34 AM
GMC:er
Berried Alive is a band that gets a LOT of accusations of "FAKE" thrown at him. The guy can play. True, he does most of his fancy stuff in post production. When he records a vid it's not live. But so what? It's still him doing all of the bits that come out as his music. Sure, it's got a harmonizer on it. He's doing three different tracks that he shoots a video showing one pass, etc. Here is he without all of the post processing just playing a real guitar. He realy can play. This is what he sounds like with just him and an amp. He misses notes like anyone does. It's not perfect as no player is perfect.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Apr 1 2021, 06:37 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Apr 1 2021, 07:18 AM
Learning Rock Star
I think a lot of playthroughs are "miming" these days. I'll admit my latest one was, albeit playing the parts on the guitar while shooting the video of course, but it wasn't the actual recording I was shooting.

As with all things music and video production, it's not a competition and whatever sounds good (and can be somewhat replicated live) is fair game with me.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Apr 1 2021, 11:15 AM
Learning Tone Master
To be honest if I like what I hear, I really don't care if the playthrough it's real or it's just "miming". I enjoy listening the music and that's all. I believe that if you don't compare yourself with others, this "miming" thing will never touch you.
Anyway....in most of the cases it turned out that people really know to play.

What people don't understand is the fact that even in a real playing (on YT of course), they will actually always see the best take of the guy/girl. No one will see how many times that person had to stop due to a mistake.
I wonder how would people react if someone will come and say: "Hey...this is my take number 50. I failed the last 49 takes". biggrin.gif

Also, when you want to make a different kind of video using different angles, then you will usually have a main video which is recorded in the same time with the audio, but for the rest of the angles you will need a separately recording.
I personally tried to record using my camera and in the same time two phones positioned in different angles (to avoid some possible comments) but the quality difference between videos was too big. The idea is to improve your videos not to make them looks as a shit. If you aren't lucky to have more good cameras, than you need to make compromises for the sake of result. smile.gif

Unfortunately, some people developed so much frustration that at some point this it turns in pure hate. They make a purpose in finding to comment something bad, no matter if it's true or not.
If they will not find a mistake will invent one, if you compose something definitely they will find 2 notes that was played in the same order in a popular song. If nothing on these are visible than definitely you are fat, too skinny or ugly etc. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Apr 1 2021, 11:24 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Apr 1 2021, 11:15 AM) *
To be honest if I like what I hear, I really don't care if the playthrough it's real or it's just "miming". I enjoy listening the music and that's all. I believe that if you don't compare yourself with others, this "miming" thing will never touch you.
Anyway....in most of the cases it turned out that people really know to play.

What people don't understand is the fact that even in a real playing (on YT of course), they will actually always see the best take of the guy/girl. No one will see how many times that person had to stop due to a mistake.
I wonder how would people react if someone will come and say: "Hey...this is my take number 50. I failed the last 49 takes". biggrin.gif

Also, when you want to make a different kind of video using different angles, then you will usually have a main video which is recorded in the same time with the audio, but for the rest of the angles you will need a separately recording.
I personally tried to record using my camera and in the same time two phones positioned in different angles (to avoid some possible comments) but the quality difference between videos was too big. The idea is to improve your videos not to make them looks as a shit. If you aren't lucky to have more good cameras, than you need to make compromises for the sake of result. smile.gif

Unfortunately, some people developed so much frustration that at some point this it turns in pure hate. They make a purpose in finding to comment something bad, no matter if it's true or not.
If they will not find a mistake will invent one, if you compose something definitely they will find 2 notes that was played in the same order in a popular song. If nothing on these are visible than definitely you are fat, too skinny or ugly etc. biggrin.gif

Very true words, Monica! I always think of music videos from bands, i.e. when they stand in a room or in a desert and play their song. Maybe they play it "well" in that setting, but the audio used will be the one from the studio. So you have miming in music videos too. It's natural. And as you say, it's about the music. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 2 2021, 02:41 AM
Very true. I often "Mime" tracks for video once I record them in audio. I usually do the video later so I have to remember what played and try to look like I'm playing it. He's doing much the same thing. Recording multiple tracks and just trying to do a visual performance to go with it.

I mimed our last collab as a matter of fact!

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Apr 1 2021, 06:24 AM) *
Very true words, Monica! I always think of music videos from bands, i.e. when they stand in a room or in a desert and play their song. Maybe they play it "well" in that setting, but the audio used will be the one from the studio. So you have miming in music videos too. It's natural. And as you say, it's about the music. smile.gif

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Apr 2 2021, 03:10 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
First off, just to be clear...."Miming" = faking it. That being said, I don't really have a problem with it as far as YT playthrough vids are concerned or collab video here at GMC, although maybe full disclosure should maybe be in order on the latter. But under no circumstances should a live performance be faked, ever. Especially when people are paying to see the performance. We have to draw the line there. Unless of course, again, we have full disclosure before spending hard earned money on tickets.

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Apr 2 2021, 04:01 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Apr 2 2021, 03:10 AM) *
First off, just to be clear...."Miming" = faking it. That being said, I don't really have a problem with it as far as YT playthrough vids are concerned or collab video here at GMC, although maybe full disclosure should maybe be in order on the latter. But under no circumstances should a live performance be faked, ever. Especially when people are paying to see the performance. We have to draw the line there. Unless of course, again, we have full disclosure before spending hard earned money on tickets.

It's true that it's miming, but as for YouTube content I think it's fine, depending on what is being shown on the video or what it's supposed to be. If it's a visual presentation of a song, then I don't really mind. If it's a live performance, even on YouTube, of course it should not be faked. Same goes for an actual live in-the-flesh concert.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 2 2021, 05:37 AM
Im with ya smile.gif For a youtube vid where it's me playing the track, just miming the part isnt faking as it's really me playing, im just making a visual to go with it. But yeah, for a live show that would be a ripoff ala MILLI VANILI. If a live band cant play live then they should just not play live imho.

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Apr 1 2021, 11:01 PM) *
It's true that it's miming, but as for YouTube content I think it's fine, depending on what is being shown on the video or what it's supposed to be. If it's a visual presentation of a song, then I don't really mind. If it's a live performance, even on YouTube, of course it should not be faked. Same goes for an actual live in-the-flesh concert.

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Apr 2 2021, 06:01 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Apr 2 2021, 03:01 AM) *

I'm agree with you Ben. A live performance it's totally something else and should definitely be real. Mostly when you pay for it. This things should always be respected.

BTW Todd, I remember after the scandal with Milli Vanilly, MTV started that Unplugged series which was "a showcase for artists wanting to prove they were more than just studio creations". Over the years were many "drama" about miming. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Apr 2 2021, 06:14 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Apr 2 2021, 06:01 AM) *
I'm agree with you Ben. A live performance it's totally something else and should definitely be real. Mostly when you pay for it. This things should always be respected.

BTW Todd, I remember after the scandal with Milli Vanilly, MTV started that Unplugged series which was "a showcase for artists wanting to prove they were more than just studio creations". Over the years were many "drama" about miming. smile.gif

There has been a lot of drama regarding miming, that's for sure.

It's interesting because I consider my music "studio creations". I don't have a big desire to play and perform live, but I do like creating visual presentations, such as videos, to go along with songs. I've never had a big drive for playing live. If anything I would like to do it like Arjen Anthony Lucasson does at times with his Ayreon project. He invites other people to sing on records, sometimes to play instruments as well, and when Ayreon performs live he sometimes only joins in for the last 30 minutes of the show. Of course this is known and it's known to the audience how this project works. They also don't do live concerts often, because it requires many performers, so I suspect it takes a lot of planning. For instance in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AAXtUdM7xE

I think the above show (Ayreon Universe) was only performed a few times and in the same location.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Apr 2 2021, 07:25 AM
Learning Tone Master
@Ben....I don't know why it doesn't work to add your quote.

That's a really cool project idea. Definitely such a show require a lot of planning and money to pay each performer.

Some people like to play live because they are addicted to that adrenaline that you feel on stage. I can understand this because when I played at piano I liked more to do this in public (but I was very younger).

With the age I changed myself and same as you I love more the process of composition. Probably that's why to make my own band and play on stage it's not anymore my main purpose.
I like more the idea of a session player, to come and play my part on different projects. smile.gif

Also I enjoy very much to create visual something cool. When you don't have money to make a professional video clip for your song, you need to learn and create something on your own. Of course it will doesn't have the same impact as a professional one but if I'm satisfied with it, it's more important than anything else. wink.gif

This post has been edited by Monica Gheorghevici: Apr 2 2021, 07:27 AM

+Quote Post
Timmez
Apr 2 2021, 07:58 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Nice to hear everybodys thoughts on this.
I remember the first time i get into a Small studio of a friend from me. When i first Saw how much processing there was with the stems it felted for me also like cheating. But now ill know that its part of music.
The same when you see the term improvisation on youtube, many time its composed. It doesnt matter to me because i like to listen to creations of others, However some People can make them angry about this.

As with playing live or on YT. I really enjoy playing live because of the adrenaline monica mentioned. Also i have to say that im not that perfectionist. With playing live its not a problem to make a mistake once in a while. Its all about the sensation and performance also. On the internet every mistake you play will be heard. I have respect for guys and Girls who play everything flawless but it isnt for me. Even sometimes after 50 takes i make one mistake i normal dont. Can be so frustrating 🤣

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Apr 2 2021, 07:59 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Apr 2 2021, 07:25 AM) *
@Ben....I don't know why it doesn't work to add your quote.

That's a really cool project idea. Definitely such a show require a lot of planning and money to pay each performer.

Some people like to play live because they are addicted to that adrenaline that you feel on stage. I can understand this because when I played at piano I liked more to do this in public (but I was very younger).

With the age I changed myself and same as you I love more the process of composition. Probably that's why to make my own band and play on stage it's not anymore my main purpose.
I like more the idea of a session player, to come and play my part on different projects. smile.gif

Also I enjoy very much to create visual something cool. When you don't have money to make a professional video clip for your song, you need to learn and create something on your own. Of course it will doesn't have the same impact as a professional one but if I'm satisfied with it, it's more important than anything else. wink.gif

Don't worry about the quote missing. Maybe Kris can help with that.

It's a very cool project idea, and I've been dreaming of doing that format for many years. I think Arjen has bad stage fright, and though he used to tour back in the 80's, he prefers this format smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Apr 2 2021, 09:36 AM
Learning Tone Master

QUOTE (tflava @ Apr 2 2021, 06:58 AM) *
The same when you see the term improvisation on youtube, many time its composed. It doesnt matter to me because i like to listen to creations of others, However some People can make them angry about this.

Exactly....this we see very often on YT.

I realized that many people make a big confusion between improvisation and composition. They have the theory that a composition means a song built from zero. If you play over a backing track made by someone else, they call this improvisation.
This is totally wrong because from my point of view, if you play something that you built and repeated thousand times before to push the "rec" button, it's named composition.
I decided to just enjoy their work and avoid any kind of explanation about improvisation vs composition. Mostly because some people can become verbal very aggressively when you have a different opinion

Anyway, an improvisation will always be audible because we all have a number of "x" licks that we repeat over and over again. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (tflava @ Apr 2 2021, 06:58 AM) *
Even sometimes after 50 takes i make one mistake i normal dont. Can be so frustrating 🤣

Hahaha...I know this feeling because it always happens to me. biggrin.gif
Usually when I push the "rec" button, I play the fast parts great (because I'm always scared about them and I repeat these parts millions of times before recording) and I make mistakes in the most easy and slower part. biggrin.gif

I don't think I have a posted take which is perfect. Even if the mistakes are not so audible for listeners, the fact that I know about them give me the feeling that everybody will hear them. At each mistake of mine I imagine instantly listeners having big ears and popping out eyes like in cartoon. laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Monica Gheorghevici: Apr 2 2021, 09:28 AM

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Apr 2 2021, 09:46 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Apr 2 2021, 09:36 AM) *
Hahaha...I know this feeling because it always happens to me. biggrin.gif
Usually when I push the "rec" button, I play the fast parts great (because I'm always scared about them and I repeat these parts millions of times before recording) and I make mistakes in the most easy and slower part. biggrin.gif

I don't think I have a posted take which is perfect. Even if the mistakes are not so audible for listeners, the fact that I know about them give me the feeling that everybody will hear them. At each mistake of mine I imagine instantly listeners having big ears and popping out eyes like in cartoon. laugh.gif

I think your takes are always great, Monica smile.gif

I do know the "rec"-button syndrome. When I was doing my last playthrough video I kept playing wrong notes and I had to do so, so many times, you wouldn't believe it. I needed to record several parts with 3 different guitars, and I kept making mistakes, so in the end I had to look through something like 2 hours of video to find the correct takes, and then I could stitch the parts together. This felt like cheating of course, but it's a product and a visual for the song, more than an "actual playthrough", though I did call it a playthrough (I think that generates more views! But sssh! laugh.gif). I did try to play the parts as precise as possible when I was recording the videos, so that they would line up with the DAW-version of the track. smile.gif But as mentioned, I don't consider myself a live-musician, but more of a studio-musician. When playing live or just jamming with friends I prefer to improvise for the most part, that's what I find most joyful.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Apr 2 2021, 11:10 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Apr 2 2021, 08:46 AM) *
I think your takes are always great, Monica smile.gif

I do know the "rec"-button syndrome. When I was doing my last playthrough video I kept playing wrong notes and I had to do so, so many times, you wouldn't believe it. I needed to record several parts with 3 different guitars, and I kept making mistakes, so in the end I had to look through something like 2 hours of video to find the correct takes, and then I could stitch the parts together. This felt like cheating of course, but it's a product and a visual for the song, more than an "actual playthrough", though I did call it a playthrough (I think that generates more views! But sssh! laugh.gif). I did try to play the parts as precise as possible when I was recording the videos, so that they would line up with the DAW-version of the track. smile.gif But as mentioned, I don't consider myself a live-musician, but more of a studio-musician. When playing live or just jamming with friends I prefer to improvise for the most part, that's what I find most joyful.

You are very, veeeery kind smile.gif

But as an example in my last take posted, Darius found more than 10 mistakes. biggrin.gif Nothing too obvious or so wrong/audible to affect the overall take or to be need it another recording.
I mean, I had some tiny slip of timing in some spots, not all the notes perfect equal in the run, one, two vibrato too nervous, etc. Are little things but I know about them, Darius know about them (anyway...his ears are definitely not from this earth laugh.gif ) and in my mind everybody noticed all these things.
Things like this happens even if I played and repeated the song 2 weeks before the final recording. Unfortunately I'm just a human, not a robot. biggrin.gif

I love your videos and your playing. Looks and sounds awesome! smile.gif

Believe me, I'm a very good opponent if we make a contest about "how many times you can fail a take before to make a good one". laugh.gif

As for a complex video editing. Any additional video that you record will always make the work harder. But coming with a different vision for the videos has it's beauty and I love this (and also bring some followers). smile.gif

Since I started playing better, I got used to having fewer views on YT. I never thought that naming the video in a particular way, can bring me more views. That's a good trick. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Apr 2 2021, 11:18 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Apr 2 2021, 11:10 AM) *
You are very, veeeery kind smile.gif

But as an example in my last take posted, Darius found more than 10 mistakes. biggrin.gif Nothing too obvious or so wrong/audible to affect the overall take or to be need it another recording.
I mean, I had some tiny slip of timing in some spots, not all the notes perfect equal in the run, one, two vibrato too nervous, etc. Are little things but I know about them, Darius know about them (anyway...his ears are definitely not from this earth laugh.gif ) and in my mind everybody noticed all these things.
Things like this happens even if I played and repeated the song 2 weeks before the final recording. Unfortunately I'm just a human, not a robot. biggrin.gif

I love your videos and your playing. Looks and sounds awesome! smile.gif

Believe me, I'm a very good opponent if we make a contest about "how many times you can fail a take before to make a good one". laugh.gif

As for a complex video editing. Any additional video that you record will always make the work harder. But coming with a different vision for the videos has it's beauty and I love this (and also bring some followers). smile.gif

Since I started playing better, I got used to having fewer views on YT. I never thought that naming the video in a particular way, can bring me more views. That's a good trick. wink.gif

We are own our worst critics. Sometimes I have to tell myself "no one will notice", so I go with something that maybe isn't 100% perfect, because I know I can keep finding mistakes and things to improve, so if I don't stop somewhere, I will keep going! Many times people will not notice the small mistakes we notice, unless they are told to specifically look for mistakes - and I think that is the mindset Darius has in this, because he wants you to improve, so he finds those mistakes to make you better smile.gif

Thank you for the kind words! smile.gif

I think titles can definitely help generate more views. Of course there are various levels to it, from just naming it literally "random song", or something unrelated, to "Final Fantasy VII - Anxious Heart (Playthrough)", which was the title of my last track and then to the clickbait title of "BEST GUITARIST PLAYS THE BEST SOLO EVER" laugh.gif You have probably seen titles like that. laugh.gif I try not to do clickbait titles, but I have been thinking more and more about what the best way to get more traffic is.

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 2 2021, 03:56 PM
If you're 'showing off' technique - and lets face it a lot of these vids are about guitar players showing off their chops not the composition or the production - you should be able to play it "live", all the way through, in one take and w/o mistakes.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 2 2021, 05:08 PM
MONICA AND BEN you are both very fine players and I enjoy every track that i hear you play. You both play from the heart and pull your emotions in to the guitar and that's what I really like hearing. I think you both may be a bit over critical of your own playing but this is a natural thing with most musicians. We pick apart our own work even when other people like it a lot smile.gif

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Apr 2 2021, 06:18 AM) *
We are own our worst critics. Sometimes I have to tell myself "no one will notice", so I go with something that maybe isn't 100% perfect, because I know I can keep finding mistakes and things to improve, so if I don't stop somewhere, I will keep going! Many times people will not notice the small mistakes we notice, unless they are told to specifically look for mistakes - and I think that is the mindset Darius has in this, because he wants you to improve, so he finds those mistakes to make you better smile.gif

Thank you for the kind words! smile.gif

I think titles can definitely help generate more views. Of course there are various levels to it, from just naming it literally "random song", or something unrelated, to "Final Fantasy VII - Anxious Heart (Playthrough)", which was the title of my last track and then to the clickbait title of "BEST GUITARIST PLAYS THE BEST SOLO EVER" laugh.gif You have probably seen titles like that. laugh.gif I try not to do clickbait titles, but I have been thinking more and more about what the best way to get more traffic is.

They lost their best new artist grammy after it came out that they were not singing on their own record! Then during a live show the backing CD skipped and showed they were just miming the entire thing. Similar thing happened to Jessica simpsons sister on saturday night live when she tried to mime her new song and they played the wrong track by mistake on the cd player. ouch!

yeah that stuff aint cool. If someone is doing a live show, they should probably actually play it live ya know?

QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Apr 2 2021, 01:01 AM) *

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Apr 2 2021, 05:09 PM

+Quote Post
Timmez
Apr 2 2021, 08:15 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Apr 2 2021, 08:36 AM) *
Exactly....this we see very often on YT.

I realized that many people make a big confusion between improvisation and composition. They have the theory that a composition means a song built from zero. If you play over a backing track made by someone else, they call this improvisation.
This is totally wrong because from my point of view, if you play something that you built and repeated thousand times before to push the "rec" button, it's named composition.
I decided to just enjoy their work and avoid any kind of explanation about improvisation vs composition. Mostly because some people can become verbal very aggressively when you have a different opinion

yes thats exactly what i mean. I have to be honest that sometimes i dont know how to call it myself. most of the time i call an improvisation a Jam, and soloing over a backing of someone else alos an improv, and making my own backing and solo an arangement smile.gif
But i respect all forms i just love to see people enjoy music.

funny how you and Ben are both so strict for yourself because to my opininion your vids are almost flawless smile.gif

Another question. Do you guys and girls post recordings for the views or not? Because the the title definitely matters i think:)

This post has been edited by tflava: Apr 2 2021, 08:16 PM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:03 AM