Singing And Playing
Jayrobyn
Sep 30 2011, 10:52 PM
GMC:er
Probably a thread on here somewhere with tips for this but anyone got any.

my rhythms fine when i do one of these at a time and theirs odd songs i can play and sing but more complicated rhythm stuff any ideas ?

like i said in my initial post i am pretty dyslexic so never sure if that's the mental block i have with doing both. the few i've learnt took a lot of practice. which im fine with haha but if theres a trick to this im missing let me know!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Oct 1 2011, 12:45 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
As much as possible try to basically associate the lyrics with a melody, imagine what syllables are - like eight notes, sixteenth, triplets or whatever. This makes timing easier although now its more akin to playing two separate parts at once, which may or may not be difficult depending on the music you are playing.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 2 2011, 09:24 PM
Instructor
I am currently struggling with the same issue smile.gif as I became full time vocalist and guitarist in my band Aria. We have a lot of formulas and I need to play them while singing...tough stuff sad.gif but it's beautiful and I'm starting to enjoy it more and more. Now what I'm doing is writing down the bar on a sheet of paper and divide it into 16th notes as the Uncreator said! Then I figure out where the syllables come in and i start practicing it slowly so that I can focus on both guitar and voice..that's about it smile.gif hope this helped!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 3 2011, 05:52 AM
Instructor
I think that we need Dave Mustaine in this thread! laugh.gif
I use to sing backing vocals with my band and I don't have problems but I think that it's very difficult when you play different rhythms with the guitar and with your voice. I think that Cosmin's method should work...

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 3 2011, 06:44 AM
Instructor
Yeah, that can be tricky, but it's not tricky if you follow Cosmins advice. As with everything practice is the key, even the most trickiest of rhythms will be easy if you break them down and slowly learn them properly, then gradually increase the tempo.

Good thing with this method is after you learn bunch of these little non-synced parts, it will become more easier and easier to learn next stuff, because the knowledge adds up. I think the only problem is that at first (once you learn that first problematic part), you won't be able to play it & sing it any other way cool.gif

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Oct 3 2011, 06:45 AM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 3 2011, 07:41 AM
Instructor
I was in the rehearsal room yesterday with the guys and I was struggling to get a pattern right with my guitar and my voice as the time signature goes from 6/8 to 4/4 but the riff stays the same and honestly I felt pretty silly for not being able to sing..I just couldn't open my mouth laugh.gif

This thing with being a vocalist and playing the guitar in the same time is serious business and it needs more and more attention out of what I'm seeing so far, but I love it and I'm starting to see the fact that me being a vocalist is far from being a compromise. It's a new level in my evolution and I want to do it right!

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Oct 4 2011, 11:02 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 3 2011, 05:52 AM) *
I think that we need Dave Mustaine in this thread! laugh.gif
I use to sing backing vocals with my band and I don't have problems but I think that it's very difficult when you play different rhythms with the guitar and with your voice. I think that Cosmin's method should work...

dude, sometime i watch some megadeth videos on youtube where they play live with alot more speed than the studio version, and i am like HOW!!! does he do that.

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Oct 4 2011, 11:56 PM
Learning Rock Star
Practice - that's all I can say. It's like drumming - your hands are doing one thing while your feet are doing another. There's no short cut. This is my own passion - I've been practicing for a few months now trying to get to a place in my playing that I can front a band - that means singing and playing. While there are tricks you can do, it all boils down to practicing songs that require your voice to go one place while your hands are going another. things will come together, but it's not easy at all. I've seen progress, so I know you will too biggrin.gif

I started off playing and singing Proud mary - seems simple at first glance, but the rhythm requires slow triplet strums, while the verse is in standard 4/4. It's probably a good starting song - at least it was for me.

Another easy, but a little tricky is Summer of 69. That too is fairly simple AFTER you understand the strumming pattern - but even then, you have to concentrate on where the down strum goes while you're singing.

Try singing a familiar song to a 4 chord progression - in time with the beat. For instance, try singing happy birthday to you, or mary had a little lamb to a chord progression that you can create with slight variations in timing. You can keep it in tune, but strum a pattern than is different than you would normally strum for Happy Birthday.

This could be a good a lesson thread actually. Anyone wanna come up with a tutorial video on some practice tunes?! I'll try doing one when I get a chance - I'm currently trying to learn Holy Diver - that has some challenging parts in it to sing AND play - maybe I'll use that as lesson fodder - just the difficult parts that is.

Chris

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
rhoads
Oct 5 2011, 03:50 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I remember having the same problem. Couldn't sing (and play) even the simplest songs.

I think the first thing you should do is tap along with your foot on the whole song or at least the parts where you have also vocals. You probably did this, but if you didn't then try it and if you have problems doing it then it means that this is the root of your problem. First you must be able do tap along.

After this is pretty much like the other said. You should play SLOW and first see each syllable goes ( on what beat or sub beat). Slow down as much as possible and don't worry about hitting the right note with your voice at the beginning. If you cannot figure out where each syllable goes then maybe you can find the song that you want in a Guitar Pro tab version with the vocal line also (you can most of the famous and simple songs) and look there.

After you are comfortable at the lower speed, just speed up until you reach the original smile.gif

This is the way I did it. It took me some time but now I can figure out pretty easy every song. The problem for me now is to hit the right notes every time smile.gif.

Good luck!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 02:53 PM