2 Pages V   1 2 >  
I Got Into University!
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 8 2009, 01:58 AM
Learning Rock Star
Alright, the topic should have been posted at the 30th of July, and I was pretty sure I would get in, as there are usually only just enough that apply for what I'm aiming at (it's not a very popular degree to go through, I geuss). Funny thing though:

I used to work with a guy at the postal service and I never really talked that much to him, though he was a bit metal-ish. Anyway, as you know, I quit that job, and I didn't really think much about the people there untill today when I looked at the "Findoling 2009" (that's Finnish, Indo european languages and Linguistics) group on Facebook, and then this guy is going to study the same as me! Out of 20.000 applicants, where only 26 persons have applied for linguistics, I meet him here again. Crazy coincidents!

He apparently plays guitar too, as well as one of the other guys I'm going to study with (according to his facebook photo he plays guitar). And we're only about 5-6 guys out of the 26 students. And at least 50% of us then plays guitar... I geuss we now know what to discuss in class! laugh.gif

Anyway...to sum it up: I'm going to study linguistics for the next 5-6 years (and maybe a few more years if I want a Ph.d). Really looking forward to it smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Canis
Aug 8 2009, 02:15 AM
Learning Rock Star
Congratulations biggrin.gif
I'm glad you've got some joy in your life again, after the rough couple of months/half a year you seem to have had smile.gif

I wish I had that many people to talk guitar with in class... Actually, I wish I had someone at ALL to talk guitar with in class tongue.gif So far, I haven't been in the same classroom as another guitar player..

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
sigma7
Aug 8 2009, 03:04 AM
GMC:er
congrats man! make sure you study up and absorb all the info you are going to get! and celebrate the college life with some cake. biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
sted
Aug 8 2009, 07:50 AM
Learning Rock Star
Seems an interesting subject for sure mate! Gratz!

+Quote Post
Gus
Aug 8 2009, 08:08 AM
Tillykke!!!

It seems you will be able to understand some Finnish metal?? tongue.gif laugh.gif tongue.gif

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Aug 8 2009, 08:09 AM
Lets go fishing!

Congratulations on getting into Univeristy cool.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Aug 8 2009, 09:49 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Congratulations mate smile.gif
Linguistics is a very interreseting topic, good choice smile.gif

Should be more fun with a bunch of other guitarplayers as well biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 8 2009, 10:30 AM
Instructor
Congrats Cael, languages are cool,
specially with that many guitarists in class, have fun! smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Aug 8 2009, 12:17 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Congrats Cael - have a great time at uni.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
superize
Aug 8 2009, 12:32 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
Cangratz man

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
Fran
Aug 8 2009, 01:49 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Congrats Cae, wish you the best smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Tolek
Aug 8 2009, 02:02 PM
Learning Rock Star
Woooow, finally you can do something that you like! Awesome! I´m so glad for you. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Aug 8 2009, 02:18 PM
Congrats man!!!!!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Aug 8 2009, 03:33 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
What exactly is linguistics? Would be cool to have so many guitarists!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 8 2009, 03:40 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Aug 8 2009, 04:33 PM) *
What exactly is linguistics? Would be cool to have so many guitarists!

Very short: the study of language.

A bit longer and taken from wikipedia:

"Linguistics is the scientific[1][2] study of natural language.[3][4] Linguistics encompasses a number of sub-fields. An important topical division is between the study of language structure (grammar) and the study of meaning (semantics). Grammar encompasses morphology (the formation and composition of words), syntax (the rules that determine how words combine into phrases and sentences) and phonology (the study of sound systems and abstract sound units). Phonetics is a related branch of linguistics concerned with the actual properties of speech sounds (phones), non-speech sounds, and how they are produced and perceived. Other sub-disciplines of linguistics include the following: evolutionary linguistics, which considers the origins of language; historical linguistics, which explores language change; sociolinguistics, which looks at the relation between linguistic variation and social structures; psycholinguistics, which explores the representation and functioning of language in the mind; neurolinguistics, which looks at the representation of language in the brain; language acquisition, which considers how children acquire their first language and how children and adults acquire and learn their second and subsequent languages; and discourse analysis, which is concerned with the structure of texts and conversations, and pragmatics with how meaning is transmitted based on a combination of linguistic competence, non-linguistic knowledge, and the context of the speech act." smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 8 2009, 08:27 PM
Instructor
That sounds very nice man, congratulations, and wish you a lot of success on the studies. smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Aug 9 2009, 06:21 PM
Congratulations man!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Aug 10 2009, 04:47 PM
Instructor
Great news man, congratulations smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Aug 10 2009, 04:58 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Excellent news Cael, enjoy it! smile.gif

--------------------
"Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong."

Guitars & Amps
Brian Moore DC-1 Custom Shop (Cherry Sunburst, mahogany/rosewood)
Eric Johnson Signature Strat (2-tone Sunburst, alder/maple)
Ibanez RG770 (Black, basswood/rosewood)
Peerless Journeyman (solid spruce/maple)
Sixt Bov-105C (Ovation-like acoustic) - Ibanez SGT-130 (Jumbo acoustic)
London City VS-1 (Precision bass) - Baton Rouge U3S (Ukelele)
Fender HotRod Deluxe 40W combo - Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue 5W combo - Marshall JCM 900 50W Hi-Gain combo

Effects & Other stuff
POD Studio UX2 audio interface - Edirol MA-15D monitors
EH Double Muff - Fulltone GT-500 - Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet - Guitarsystems TrebleTool Junior - Guitarsystems FuzzTool Junior
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - TC Electronics Nova Modulator - Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
Shure SM58 - Roland PCR-500 midi controller/keyboard & Yamaha Clavinova CL-910 piano

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 10 2009, 05:21 PM
Learning Rock Star
Thanks, guys! I've already spoken a bit with the guy I talked about on Facebook. He seems to like prog metal as well! laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 11:40 AM