Distractions, Looking for tips on staying focused
Blister
Oct 5 2023, 02:40 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
[/img]

When I resubscribed to GMC I had more time. I was working part time but then got promoted to full time & being a family man, family has to come first. Time is a precious resource that needs to be utilized efficiently. I'll start practicing a lesson then... (squirrel!) I'll see another lesson or whatever & lose my focus. Not to mention that life has a way of stealing your time. I also posted when I resubbed that I would do a minimum of 12 REC's this year. Well, so far I'm up to ZERO ohmy.gif . I am still a firm believer in the REC program & really want to participate more. So I am looking for tips. Particularly those that have done a few REC's & what do you do to reach your goal, stay focused & of course, continue to enjoy playing smile.gif ?

I am slowly building back those callouses that I had lost. unsure.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Manu RASSE
Oct 5 2023, 04:59 AM
Veteran Tone Master
Hi Blister

Finding the perfect lesson is sometimes difficult.
I sometimes learn 3 or 4 before having a real crush.

The GMC archives are full of exceptional guitarists.
These who have provided great lessons for beginners but also many lessons that are impossible for most amateurs.

An example of a great guitarist : Emir Hot composed a magic lesson for beginners.
Neoclassical solo for beginner

He composed so more crazy lessons so speed.
THERE are some that I learn knowing that I will not be able to submit them to the REC.
Hot Country Licks
Mozart Turkish March

For me, the REC is not an objective in itself, it represents a finalization.... I move on to another lesson.
There is a paradox in submitting your take.... You have pride but you know you're going to be criticized
It wreaks havoc on morale because the criticism is subjective and destructive "you're a great player but...

Hang in there, have fun and don't forget that the guitar is a hobby and not your life.

Have a nice day with your family. wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Manu RASSE: Oct 5 2023, 05:33 AM

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Oct 5 2023, 06:27 AM
Learning Tone Master
Hi Blister!

For me, family also come in the first place, but no matter how many things I have to do in a day, I always find time to play my guitar. It's all about finding a good balance. smile.gif

If playing guitar is important for you and it makes you feel good, then try to make yourself a schedule. If you can play, even 15 minutes/day will be more than great. smile.gif

As tips for focusing:

- set a small goal and give yourself a deadline. Choose a lesson and learn the first part of it in 1-2 weeks. Then, record yourself and post the take in the practice room and you will get our feedback. In this way, you will have a constant task, it will give you the motivation to continue, will help you build a kind of discipline and the lesson will be learned piece by piece. When you end the lesson, you can proudly post this in the REC section (I always loved the REC section and it helped me a lot).
As additional advice, be very careful what lesson you choose, because this part is much trickier than people think. If you choose something too hard, it will make you lose confidence and you will stop practicing. If it's something too easy, it will become boring. Balance is the key word here. You need to look for a lesson manageable but with new stuff that push your skills further. wink.gif

- when you practice turn off the phone, TV and any other device. Be unavailable 15 minutes for everybody.

- stop looking for other lessons. Practice the one that you choose for 15 minutes and then, if you have more time, play anything you want for fun.

Have an awesome day!

+Quote Post
Blister
Oct 6 2023, 02:50 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Thank you so much, Manu! You are an inspiration to me as I enjoy your REC takes & appreciate your posts in the forum. Thanks also for your suggestions which are very helpful!

QUOTE (Manu RASSE @ Oct 4 2023, 11:59 PM) *
https://www.si.edu/sites/default/files/blog...is-630x4321.jpg[/img]

For me, the REC is not an objective in itself, it represents a finalization.... I move on to another lesson.
There is a paradox in submitting your take.... You have pride but you know you're going to be criticized
It wreaks havoc on morale because the criticism is subjective and destructive "you're a great player but...

Hang in there, have fun and don't forget that the guitar is a hobby and not your life.

Have a nice day with your family. wink.gif

Thank you very much, Monica! Thank you for the tips & for how much help you are to everyone. You go above & beyond & it's appreciated. I guess I never thought of uploading my takes on lessons to the Practice Room. I guess I had never really thought about that & that's a great idea. I hope to get something up soon as I am having some issues with the lessons I'm practicing. Thank you again! smile.gif

QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Oct 5 2023, 01:27 AM) *
As tips for focusing:

- set a small goal and give yourself a deadline. Choose a lesson and learn the first part of it in 1-2 weeks. Then, record yourself and post the take in the practice room and you will get our feedback. In this way, you will have a constant task, it will give you the motivation to continue, will help you build a kind of discipline and the lesson will be learned piece by piece. When you end the lesson, you can proudly post this in the REC section (I always loved the REC section and it helped me a lot).
As additional advice, be very careful what lesson you choose, because this part is much trickier than people think. If you choose something too hard, it will make you lose confidence and you will stop practicing. If it's something too easy, it will become boring. Balance is the key word here. You need to look for a lesson manageable but with new stuff that push your skills further. wink.gif

- when you practice turn off the phone, TV and any other device. Be unavailable 15 minutes for everybody.

- stop looking for other lessons. Practice the one that you choose for 15 minutes and then, if you have more time, play anything you want for fun.

Have an awesome day!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Manu RASSE
Oct 6 2023, 06:53 AM
Veteran Tone Master
Hi Blister

You'r welcome

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Oct 6 2023, 10:00 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Blister @ Oct 6 2023, 01:50 AM) *
Thank you very much, Monica! Thank you for the tips & for how much help you are to everyone. You go above & beyond & it's appreciated. I guess I never thought of uploading my takes on lessons to the Practice Room. I guess I had never really thought about that & that's a great idea. I hope to get something up soon as I am having some issues with the lessons I'm practicing. Thank you again! smile.gif

You're welcome! I'm always happy to help. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Oct 11 2023, 08:14 PM
GMC Founder
Hehe I think we all have a squirrel in us ph34r.gif

I try to not force things. So if for some reason I am not motivated enough to keep focus on the guitar - I'll take a break.

If I wanted to push myself I would probably take a " musical break" - meaning I'd try to get some guitarist inspiration on Social Media or maybe find some cool tutorial or listen to some classic guitar tune. That kind of stuff tends to kick you back into practicing mode again cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Oct 12 2023, 02:36 PM
GMC:er
If possible, the best thing to ward off distractions and kick you in the ass ...
Join a band.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 10:48 PM