4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Gibson Drastically Changing Specs, Raising Prices In 2015
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 1 2014, 09:50 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (klasaine @ Oct 1 2014, 06:56 AM) *
Yes, PRS has def taken some of the big G's market share but it needs to put into perspective.

1) Gibson is 120 years old. Very few of anything companies last that long.
2) Gibson grosses between 500 million and if you count all it's subsidiary holdings almost 1 billion a year.
3) Compared to PRSs 25 million or so.

As far as Gibby's being your dads or uncles guitar - ? Well that's all very genre specific. In the modern metal scene sure. Gibson = irrelevant. But for most other music that uses an electric guitar at all, Gibson and Fender are still the dominant players. You should see how the kids in bands out here scoff at my really bitchin gold top when they find upon closer inspection that it's a 'Heritage' (made in the gibson kalamazoo factory by gibson employees that bought the factory and all the wood and tooling with gibson's blessing in 1986 or so). But it doesn't say GIBSON on the headstock - so it's pretty uncool.

Hmmm - in our band, even if we play modern metal, we use Gibson, Fender and PRS smile.gif We are three guitarists and each of us is oriented on a brand - it is how it fell, it wasn't anything intended. But, I think that 'kids' don't have any clue on how to speak with a guitar and thus, they only aim for the voices they see in the media - you wanna play modern rock? Get an ESP! You wanna play blues? Get a Gibson!

How about get a great quality guitar fitting your budget and go find your own voice for a change? smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klasaine
Oct 1 2014, 07:17 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 1 2014, 01:50 AM) *
How about get a great quality guitar fitting your budget and go find your own voice for a change? smile.gif

That's way too revolutionary of an idea for most Cosmin.

My point is that Gibson may be (is) making a short term error in judgement but due to their sheer size it will most likely only result in a small dip in profits (if any - ?).
There have been plenty of gibson 'mistakes' over the years (again, it's a 120 year old company).
Take a look at some of these ...
https://www.google.com/search?q=weird+gibso...mp;ved=0CDYQsAQ

https://www.google.com/search?q=80s+gibsons...ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg

*Both Fender and Gibson probably had their worst years for quality in the second half the 1970s to about '81 or '82. But SO many folks are now paying big money for those (generally badly made, bad playing and bad sounding) guitars just because they are 30 years old. They may always go up in price but they will never sound good. Gibson plays on this way of thinking ... "you want a vintage Les Paul but you can't afford one yet so we'll sell you this new one for $1800.oo and hey, it tunes itself!" As for the ridiculously expensive private reserve or wtf they call it - well there's always a bunch of dentists and real estate agents out there who buy those. God knows a guitar player can't afford those, lol!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
bleez
Oct 1 2014, 07:49 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (klasaine @ Oct 1 2014, 07:17 PM) *

LOL! I had to laugh at the 80s gibsons image search returning so many pictures of Debbie Gibson biggrin.gif It must have been dark days for gibsons everywhere!
Ken, how is your '74 gibson, do you play it much thesedays? Ive never played a proper old LP ( probably never will! ) but it's definitely a bit of a dream of mine to get my hands on one.

This post has been edited by bleez: Oct 1 2014, 07:49 PM

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
klasaine
Oct 1 2014, 09:09 PM
QUOTE (bleez @ Oct 1 2014, 11:49 AM) *
LOL! I had to laugh at the 80s gibsons image search returning so many pictures of Debbie Gibson biggrin.gif It must have been dark days for gibsons everywhere!
Ken, how is your '74 gibson, do you play it much thesedays? Ive never played a proper old LP ( probably never will! ) but it's definitely a bit of a dream of mine to get my hands on one.

Yeah, I thought the Debbie Gibson thing was funny too.
As for my '74, it goes through phases of being played. I am in general more of a Fender guy but the LP is a truly great axe. The bridge pkup lead tone is particularly nice.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Oct 1 2014, 09:43 PM

+Quote Post
Mith
Oct 2 2014, 03:21 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
man I love ESP necks, thin without being crazy thin so I find it quite vercitile

--------------------
I don't suffer from insanity, I love every minute of it

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 2 2014, 06:49 AM
I enjoy some of the ESP necks as well smile.gif But mostly just for variety. I've owned several ESP guitars along the way, most recently one of the rare "monster" guitars that they only made 350 of, which was fun smile.gif But I put it up on ebay for a crazy high price and somebody actually bought it so it's moved on smile.gif

I really like crazy thin necks. But that's a personal pref. I like it about 18mm at the nut which is asking a lot. Necks that thin tend to warp.

As for GIBBY, they aren't going anywhere any time soon as was mentioned, there are plenty of dentists willing to pay high dollar for nice Gibby smile.gif

Attached Image

QUOTE (Mith @ Oct 1 2014, 10:21 PM) *
man I love ESP necks, thin without being crazy thin so I find it quite vercitile

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 2 2014, 06:52 AM

+Quote Post
Mith
Oct 2 2014, 07:01 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
I never measured my charvel modal 4 neck but I'm pretty sure that thing couldn't be any thinner if it tried. At the moment I have it tuned 1/2 step down, Cherry red and it has a floyed on it so its my hard rock baby lol

--------------------
I don't suffer from insanity, I love every minute of it

+Quote Post
Yash
Oct 2 2014, 07:59 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Oct 2 2014, 09:49 AM) *
As for GIBBY, they aren't going anywhere any time soon as was mentioned, there are plenty of dentists willing to pay high dollar for nice Gibby smile.gif

So, if dentists earn so much in the US, I wonder what do doctors earn ? laugh.gif Can they afford the Gibsons ? tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
Oct 2 2014, 08:15 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
LOL! who would have thought dentists had such fine taste in guitars biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 2 2014, 08:54 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (klasaine @ Oct 1 2014, 06:17 PM) *
That's way too revolutionary of an idea for most Cosmin.

You're right Ken, but trust me, at some points, this whole chase after the PERFECT tone for metal, or whatnot, tires me a lot. People are trying too hard to do anything else, but music. I mean, why do we pick up an instrument? In the first place smile.gif That childlike curiosity.. each sound is like magic... that gets lost along the way, doesn't it? smile.gif I think that we should always keep this sort of feeling close by even when we have 20-30 years of playing. In that way, we will always strive to work on our own musical ego, rather than chasing all sorts of apparent musical goals, such as playing alternate picking at 300 BPM laugh.gif But all these come with age and experience - I tend to forget that myself. There are steps that each person must take in their personal musical journey.

+Quote Post
klasaine
Oct 2 2014, 05:04 PM
QUOTE (Yash @ Oct 1 2014, 11:59 PM) *
So, if dentists earn so much in the US, I wonder what do doctors earn ? laugh.gif Can they afford the Gibsons ? tongue.gif

The high-end, boutique market - including the top of the line Gibsons - is modeled around the fact that doctors, dentists, movie stars, stock brokers, CEOs of any kind, etc. (which there are a lot of) are the ones buying this gear that costs $3500.00 and more. They played in a band when they were in high school and maybe college. Got a job at the firm, got married, had kids. Now they make a ton of dough in 'the real world' and they want to play guitar again (also, lots of these guys around) . They always wanted a Les Paul custom when they were in school but could never afford it. Well now they can - and then some. They generally also buy Corvettes and custom Harley Davidsons and trade their wife of 25 years for 19 year old exotic dancer. Rock and Roll man!
Mind you I have no problems with any of that.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Oct 2 2014, 06:32 PM

+Quote Post
Yash
Oct 2 2014, 08:04 PM
QUOTE (klasaine @ Oct 2 2014, 08:04 PM) *
The high-end, boutique market - including the top of the line Gibsons - is modeled around the fact that doctors, dentists, movie stars, stock brokers, CEOs of any kind, etc. (which there are a lot of) are the ones buying this gear that costs $3500.00 and more. They played in a band when they were in high school and maybe college. Got a job at the firm, got married, had kids. Now they make a ton of dough in 'the real world' and they want to play guitar again (also, lots of these guys around) . They always wanted a Les Paul custom when they were in school but could never afford it. Well now they can - and then some. They generally also buy Corvettes and custom Harley Davidsons and trade their wife of 25 years for 19 year old exotic dancer. Rock and Roll man!
Mind you I have no problems with any of that.

That totally sounds like me tongue.gif If I be a good doctor that is. The only thing I won't do is trading my wife smile.gif And no Harley Davidson tongue.gif Am in for everything else. Wow.. being a doctor is great biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Oct 2 2014, 09:03 PM
QUOTE (Yash @ Oct 2 2014, 12:04 PM) *
That totally sounds like me tongue.gif If I be a good doctor that is. The only thing I won't do is trading my wife smile.gif And no Harley Davidson tongue.gif Am in for everything else. Wow.. being a doctor is great biggrin.gif

Just tell me how that black 3 pkup Les Paul Custom is when you do get it wink.gif ... seriously.
What type of doctor?

+Quote Post
Mertay
Oct 2 2014, 10:11 PM
tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
Oct 3 2014, 06:19 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Mertay @ Oct 2 2014, 10:11 PM) *
tongue.gif

LOL! Forward this to Gibson immediately, its a perfectly reasonable reaction to their monstrous changes laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 3 2014, 10:16 AM
Instructor
Our friend Hexabuzz sent me this video, which I thought I should definitely share with you, mates:

+Quote Post
klasaine
Oct 3 2014, 03:36 PM
Nice guitar.
So what is this 'tone' knob he speaks of?

+Quote Post
bleez
Oct 3 2014, 09:46 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 3 2014, 10:16 AM) *
Our friend Hexabuzz sent me this video, which I thought I should definitely share with you, mates:

If you cant find a decent gibson, its probably because JB has them all ohmy.gif

I stumbled across this pic today and thought...... "probably a dentist" smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 4 2014, 12:52 AM
"I'd rather slame my N**S in a car door than by a Gibson with MinEtune!" nice smile.gif Laughed my head off.

QUOTE (Mertay @ Oct 2 2014, 05:11 PM) *
tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 4 2014, 07:32 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (klasaine @ Oct 3 2014, 02:36 PM) *
Nice guitar.
So what is this 'tone' knob he speaks of?

It's a forgotten pedal biggrin.gif Well, I have been reading Victor Wooten's 'The music lesson' and there are a few things in there written about tone. It's amazing how much you can achieve by understanding how to express certain things with the use of tone. Why not take those things and apply them in guitar playing with the aid of the tone knob? smile.gif I totally recommend that book!!

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 05:22 AM