Guitar Strings, Choosing the right pair of strings
Nidron
May 28 2011, 05:08 PM
GMC:er
So i've been using DR-Tite fit 10 - 46 with a drop D# tuning for the past 2 years, but now times are achanging!
I'm going to start jamming in drop C, and the 46 gauge does not do the trick when i tune down.
The sustain is not quite what you would like it to be, and the strings flop around too much.
So i'm looking for a tight feel when I play riffs on the lower end and at the same time I want to keep a certain smoothness for when I play on the higher strings.

I've got my eyes on on

DR DDT-11 which contains 011",015",019",032",042",054" gauges

DR Alexi Laiho signature 010" 014" 018" 032" 044" 056"

ELIXIR NANOWEB MEDIUM which goes from 011" to 049". And Elixir light-heavy gauge 010"-052"

First of all, I'm not sure which gauge the low E string should be to get an optimal sound when you tune down to C, but I figured it should be around 50-56 (Correct me if I'm wrong)

The Alexi Laiho's signature seem like a fine hybrid between thick and slinky strings if you want to tune down and still have a certain smoothness when you play fast and do vibrato on the higher notes, but are they too slinky to form a good tone?

And i've tried the Elixir strings a while back, and from what I remember they had a great tone but felt somewhat kind of plastic?

If you guys have any tips on other strings or what kind of strings from thoose four you would use I would appreciate it!

Thanks! smile.gif
//Nid

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
May 28 2011, 05:25 PM
Learning Tone Master
It's a lot about taste. If you are used to be in F standard tuning with a drop D# on 10-46, I'd probably go to 11-52 or 11-54 or even 12-56 and see how that works out for you. You might then want tighter low strings or thinner high strings and move from there smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 29 2011, 10:07 AM
Instructor
If you're using drop C, then you could use a hybrid. As Solle said, it's about the taste, and trial & error really. For drop C I used Daddario 11-52 set on my Strat, and it didn't work the best, but it did the job. If you have guitar that is more tighter and modern, you could try something similar, or use 12-56 or something.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 29 2011, 10:36 AM
Instructor
I would be tempted the try the Alexi Laiho strings myself. I used to play in D standard with my old band with standard 10-46.. the high notes weren't too floppy.. I could play normally and the tone was fine.. and for drop C the low 56 should do the trick smile.gif

+Quote Post
Mudbone
May 29 2011, 02:56 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Keep in mind the scale length of your guitar will affect string tension. Strat-type guitars are usually 25.5 inches and Gibson type guitars are usually 24 3/4 I believe. The longer scale length will result in more tension, so that will affect your choice of string gauge.

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
Nidron
May 30 2011, 06:34 PM
GMC:er
Thanks for your answers, much appreciated!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 04:56 AM