Quick Noob Gear Question
MonkeyDAthos
Jul 15 2011, 03:54 AM
GMC:er
what's the difference btwen' open pickups and covered pickups?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 15 2011, 09:17 AM
Instructor
Other than cosmetic difference, not sure why they used to have all the pups covered in the early days.

I know there is a difference in sound on the same pickups. With covers the sound is more vintage, output gets lower, and there is a slight hi end cut. Sometimes if you have stronger output pickup, you can put cover and make it more vintage, or vice versa. Cover is attached to the pickup back plate with soldering, so it's best that a professional does this.

I did cover my pickup to see how it sounds, and I didn't really like the result. It looked somewhat cool tho.. cool.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 15 2011, 12:21 PM
Instructor
After researching the subject, I can't find any information on why pickups had covers so we can only assume they were for cosmetic reasons.. and possibly to keep dust or any other substances off the pole pieces. smile.gif

I did read that they stopped offering pickups with covers from the factory to keep costs down..

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 15 2011, 01:24 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jul 15 2011, 01:21 PM) *
After researching the subject, I can't find any information on why pickups had covers so we can only assume they were for cosmetic reasons.. and possibly to keep dust or any other substances off the pole pieces. smile.gif

I did read that they stopped offering pickups with covers from the factory to keep costs down..

That makes sense, cause pickups with covers are always slightly expensive then non-covered ones, and soldering is needed. Cover for classic humbucker costs around 10e, it can be found for a lot less on ebay tho..

non covered pickups look better to me btw, dunno about you guys smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 15 2011, 01:39 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jul 15 2011, 01:24 PM) *
non covered pickups look better to me btw, dunno about you guys smile.gif

Yeah I think so, although those plastic covers on EMG's look pretty smart smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 03:35 AM