Resolving Notes
bballkid2076
Oct 23 2007, 11:24 AM
GMC:er
I can hear when a scale or note is resolved but can someone explain using theory how this works so I can create it on my own? Thanks!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 5)
Andrew Cockburn
Oct 23 2007, 08:07 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (bballkid2076 @ Oct 23 2007, 06:24 AM) *
I can hear when a scale or note is resolved but can someone explain using theory how this works so I can create it on my own? Thanks!

Its mainly about leading the listener back to the tonic chord in easy steps. Most songs "want" to end on the tonic chord (the chord with the root note as its first note) - songs that do this sound completed or ... resolved. In a chordal sense, the best way to do this is to use a chord with the 7th note of the scale in it - this tone is actually called "the leading tone" because it is so important in this function. So, in a scale of C major we have the notes C D E F G A B C. C is the root note that we want to resolve to, B is the leading tone. If we use a chord that has this note in it (the obvious one is the V of the scale which would be G B D - see that B in there?). If we use this chord, because of the use of the leading tone (cool.gif it feels very natural to resolve this to the tonic. This combination of chords is in fact called a perfect cadence because it finishes everything up so well. Slightly less musical or equally valid would be using B diminished to resolve to the root - it still has that B in it which helps with the resolution.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
JCJXXL
Nov 2 2007, 09:56 PM
GMC:er
Good question. Good answer.

Scary part is that it made complete sense to me.. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Nov 4 2007, 12:25 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (JCJXXL @ Nov 2 2007, 09:56 PM) *
Good question. Good answer.

Scary part is that it made complete sense to me.. smile.gif

laugh.gif Scary Mr.Cockburn wink.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Nov 4 2007, 09:39 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (muris @ Nov 4 2007, 07:25 AM) *
laugh.gif Scary Mr.Cockburn wink.gif

The scary part is that I wrote it!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Nov 4 2007, 11:57 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Nov 4 2007, 09:39 PM) *
The scary part is that I wrote it!

I feel you absolutely biggrin.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:14 PM