5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Stereotypes And Music, Has anyone had a bad experience?
botoxfox
Dec 13 2007, 01:31 PM
GMC:er
When people ask me what music I like and I say mostly metal and shred, they will often say "so you listen to Metallica?" That puts me off, since I mostly can't stand Metallica.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Dec 13 2007, 01:52 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
QUOTE (botoxfox @ Dec 13 2007, 12:31 PM) *
When people ask me what music I like and I say mostly metal and shred, they will often say "so you listen to Metallica?" That puts me off, since I mostly can't stand Metallica.

yup that is a bit annoying, but as I said in a different thread, its only there ignorance of the genre, they bundle up all the forms of metal etc into one label, just as I did with the "techno" thread, so I`m just as guilty in that respect.

When I say I like Heavy Rock music I get band names thrown at me too, some of them I cant stand (some I`ve never even heard of) I usually just smile and say "yea.. that kind of thing"

Never ceases to amaze me tho that some of my friends that are not into rock, metal etc always ask me to play? I`m very blinkered with what I play and the way I play, its only ever ROCK! or Rock orientated so why is it that they hate this music so much yet go "wow! thats cool" when you play??? dont get it blink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Dec 13 2007, 02:43 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Go Girl!

That was a great story, and you were a credit to yourself and to GMC smile.gif

Let us know how the shiny match turns out biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Robin
Dec 13 2007, 02:58 PM
QUOTE (rokchik @ Dec 13 2007, 01:29 PM) *
Thanks PAD smile.gif

The list of songs wasn't that hard to come up with to be honest....it's the songs I usually play when I pick up an acoustic. With the exception of the last two, I just wanted to stick it to buddy verbally without getting too rowdy tongue.gif To be honest I wanted to put my fist through him but that would have turned a bad situation even worse.
To make this story even more interesting, I found out this morning that this guy is playing in our weekly game of shiny hockey on Saturday. If he didn't think I could play guitar wait until he sees me on skates...I'm a much better hockey player then guitar player believe me smile.gif Our shiny games can get pretty rough so hopefully he can stand being checked by a girl smile.gif biggrin.gif laugh.gif

@Tony - Kudos to you for sticking with your friends and putting what's right above all else. I think that kind of loyalty is very rare these days.

I cant wait to hear more about that!! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
PlayAllDay
Dec 13 2007, 04:17 PM
QUOTE (rokchik @ Dec 13 2007, 09:29 PM) *
Thanks PAD smile.gif

Yr welcome Rok smile.gif

QUOTE (rokchik @ Dec 13 2007, 09:29 PM) *
To make this story even more interesting, I found out this morning that this guy is playing in our weekly game of shiny hockey on Saturday. If he didn't think I could play guitar wait until he sees me on skates...I'm a much better hockey player then guitar player believe me smile.gif Our shiny games can get pretty rough so hopefully he can stand being checked by a girl smile.gif biggrin.gif laugh.gif

Haha - I hope he doesn't break a nail... laugh.gif

--------------------
Lead me not into temptation - I can find the way myself...

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Dec 13 2007, 04:29 PM
Instructor
I would have so wanted to be there to see the look on their faces when you played! you totally owned them!! good for you rockchik smile.gif

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Dec 13 2007, 06:31 PM
GO ROK!
Best story ever biggrin.gif
Wish I had seen it happen.
I have tears in my eyes. Your story is like a movie with a happy ending. At the same time I'm laughing myself silly at the guy. And you ended it with perfect choise of songs even though you where so mad. Ownage.

Uncreator and tonymiro too. This feels so good. And your teaching would inspire me more tony. I fall asleep at PP-presentations.

The things that upsets me most I think, is when people judge me on false presumtions, or think they are more than me because of whatever reason, before they even know me. I hate unfairness.

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
rokchik
Dec 13 2007, 08:37 PM
The Dark Canuck
Thanks everyone for your kind words....I'm very touched.

It had the potential to be a very bad event but it worked out great....Blindwillie your so right that it was movie like and kind of surreal at the time, but I'm just glad I stepped up (My ego was so running rampent that night I must say tongue.gif ). Again I'm not that good of a guitarist...and it would have been a lot better if I could have busted out a riff I created and melted the face off the guy... however I played what I figured the crowd would like (and also what I could sing and play at the same time smile.gif ) and it worked out....THANK GOD! I now see why people love to play live. Even when it's not your songs, when your playing and everyone is singing along it's the most amazing feeling in the world. I could begin to enjoy that. I must admit though I was shaking like a leaf....but the liquid courage did well to calm my nerves...a bit wink.gif

Again everyone thank you and I'll keep ya posted on the hockey game....hopefully I'll get pics.

+Quote Post
Mackietao
Dec 14 2007, 02:15 AM
Great stories smile.gif

it shouldn´t be like that, not to the degree it makes people sad, hurt or angry.. or whatever.
I do think stereotypes is the funniest thing. And humour sort of makes life more worth living.
so it´s good that they exists. Some people are too close minded though!

Considering the subject this made me laugh wink.gif
A softer place huh? rolleyes.gif

"Ladies of GMC
A softer place for our female members to talk and ask questions. No male-started topics please."

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Dec 14 2007, 05:26 AM
that sucks! But whats awesome is that you got to impress the crowd, prove those guys wrong and that he apologized! I enjoyed reading the story although i know you didnt enjoyed living it biggrin.gif,

ive never been stereotyped yet... My whole class knows my passion is music, and that im doing everything to get in a music college, they've never seen me play so that may build many doubts, but they know, and im trying to arrange a gig soon so i can tell them what im talking about cool.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
rokchik
Dec 14 2007, 01:06 PM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (Mackietao @ Dec 13 2007, 09:15 PM) *
Great stories smile.gif

Considering the subject this made me laugh wink.gif
A softer place huh? rolleyes.gif

"Ladies of GMC
A softer place for our female members to talk and ask questions. No male-started topics please."

Sometimes us ladies gotta get tough mad.gif

smile.gif biggrin.gif tongue.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Dec 14 2007, 01:12 PM
Lets go fishing!
Im sorry to hear about this Rok, but I can tell you that these guys most likely behave the way they do because of there own inadequacies !! Anyone who acts in such a manner is not a good person for sure !!

It also sounds like you did a good job in showing them how you "ROK" !!

It would be great if you could hit the circuit one day and blow them away !! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Mackietao
Dec 15 2007, 03:19 AM
QUOTE (rokchik @ Dec 14 2007, 01:06 PM) *
Sometimes us ladies gotta get tough mad.gif

smile.gif biggrin.gif tongue.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

For sure! tongue.gif

I got a friend visiting from the US here and we all call her manbeater... haha.. =)
hits you all the time, "oh shut up" *bam*... She´s funny though.

+Quote Post
rokchik
Dec 15 2007, 07:28 PM
The Dark Canuck
Just got in from the hockey game.....buddy never showed sad.gif

Then again I really can't blame him it was really cold out on the pond, -17C. Hot chocloate after was very nice I must say...vanilla bean from Second Cup, best hot chocolate ever!

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Dec 16 2007, 01:32 AM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (rokchik @ Dec 15 2007, 01:28 PM) *
Just got in from the hockey game.....buddy never showed sad.gif

Shame! We were looking forward to part 2 of the story where you humiliate him with some amazing jockey moves, then he wises up, becomes humble and says "Rokchik, show me the ways of hockey and guitar, be my master I have much to learn from you!" smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
PlayAllDay
Dec 16 2007, 01:59 AM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Dec 16 2007, 09:32 AM) *
Shame! We were looking forward to part 2 of the story where you humiliate him with some amazing jockey moves, then he wises up, becomes humble and says "Rokchik, show me the ways of hockey and guitar, be my master I have much to learn from you!" smile.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif Yep that's what I was hoping for too!

--------------------
Lead me not into temptation - I can find the way myself...

+Quote Post
rokchik
Dec 17 2007, 01:15 PM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Dec 15 2007, 08:32 PM) *

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Too funny Andrew. However he'd have to prove himself worthy of such knowledge.....he does not seem the type that deserves to have cookies and milk smile.gif smile.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
dango
Dec 17 2007, 11:58 PM
Hi rokchik
sorry what happen to you. but it was interesting story to read. I am glad what you did. Well done you! I wanted to see those guys' face when you played the guitar.

Two years ago I was thinking to buy an electric guitar. so i went to the shop, the man in the guitar shop was not very nice to me. He was not helpful at all and even humiliate me. After that i didn't even want to play my acoustic guitar for a while because he depressed me so much. Maybe i didn't look like stereotype rockchik or not young enough for him to talk. I am ok now complitely but still i don't like to go to the music shop though. ( i bought my guitar from internet music shop) Anyway, so it is nice to hear your story, you beat them.

And, Muse is the good choice. I love muse. i can play some of their songs, too. ,and i enjoy very much, but i never played in front of anybody. It must be so good feeling to play in front of the poeple who are listening to you.
well done. smile.gif

+Quote Post
rokchik
Dec 18 2007, 12:28 AM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (dango @ Dec 17 2007, 06:58 PM) *
Hi rokchik
sorry what happen to you. but it was interesting story to read. I am glad what you did. Well done you! I wanted to see those guys' face when you played the guitar.

Two years ago I was thinking to buy an electric guitar. so i went to the shop, the man in the guitar shop was not very nice to me. He was not helpful at all and even humiliate me. After that i didn't even want to play my acoustic guitar for a while because he depressed me so much. Maybe i didn't look like stereotype rockchik or not young enough for him to talk. I am ok now complitely but still i don't like to go to the music shop though. ( i bought my guitar from internet music shop) Anyway, so it is nice to hear your story, you beat them.

And, Muse is the good choice. I love muse. i can play some of their songs, too. ,and i enjoy very much, but i never played in front of anybody. It must be so good feeling to play in front of the poeple who are listening to you.
well done. smile.gif

Thanks dango. Means a lot. I wasn't really thinking at the time about the people I was playing in front of as much as wanting to stick it to this guy. That's why I kept the songs to ones I knew I could play well and sing OK. Thankfully it worked.

As for your ordeal with the music store that's not fun either. Music stores can be so intimedating even with the nicest salesmen in the world giving you all the help you need, let alone being served by a jerk. One of these days you should go back and rock the place with what you learned here at GMC. Muse would be a great choice smile.gif Show them us 30+ ladies can rock with the best of them 'eh girl? smile.gif smile.gif biggrin.gif laugh.gif

rok

+Quote Post
dango
Dec 18 2007, 12:50 AM
QUOTE (rokchik @ Dec 18 2007, 01:28 AM) *
Thanks dango. Means a lot. I wasn't really thinking at the time about the people I was playing in front of as much as wanting to stick it to this guy. That's why I kept the songs to ones I knew I could play well and sing OK. Thankfully it worked.

As for your ordeal with the music store that's not fun either. Music stores can be so intimedating even with the nicest salesmen in the world giving you all the help you need, let alone being served by a jerk. One of these days you should go back and rock the place with what you learned here at GMC. Muse would be a great choice smile.gif Show them us 30+ ladies can rock with the best of them 'eh girl? smile.gif smile.gif biggrin.gif laugh.gif

rok

Thanks rokchik
wow, I can't play and sing. haha, now you got taste, you would like to do more, don't you? laugh.gif

It is true, the music shop is intimedating place , but since i am member of GMC, it gave me a confidence. If i want to know something, there are answer in forum or i could ask someone in GMC. And GMC is very welcoming place, and safe. I know i wouldn't be get hurt. I am practicing a lot of lessons, and enjoying it.
Thanks to the instructors for all lessons and thnaks to Kris make such nice place. GMC take care of ladies , too. I've never thought to post something on forum by myself, this is quite new for me. thanks to rokchik to creating this ladies forum, too. smile.gif

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 11:31 AM