2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Ultimate Guitar Shape, Lp Or Strat?
Ultimate Guitar Shape, LP or Strat?
So what do you think is the ultimate guitar shape (not tone)? Les Paul or Stratocaster?
Les Paul [ 12 ] ** [32.43%]
Stratocaster [ 25 ] ** [67.57%]
Total Votes: 37
Guests cannot vote 
Mudbone
Aug 17 2010, 09:07 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
There are infinite different guitar shapes out there, but these two are the most dominant, and most divisive amongst players. This poll is about the shape and not about the tone, simply because the tone comes more from the components and wood type than the shape of the guitar. The two things you should really factor in are the ergonomics and aesthetics of the shape.

Personally, I think the Strat shape is the best of any guitar. Its well balanced and is very comfortable to play for hours on end. Not only are the ergonomics fantastic, as far as looks are concerned, its a damn sexy shape. The Les Paul shape is also very sexy, but the ergonomics aren't nearly as good as on the Strat shape. Its bulky, has poor balance, and doesn't feel like it was formed around the human body. On the other hand the Strat shape is very organic, and feels as if Mother Nature herself designed it.

To reiterate what said earlier, This poll is about shape, NOT tone. Peace smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Aug 17 2010, 09:09 PM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
Strat without a doubt. The Les Paul I owned for a short time almost fell off my lap too many times!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Aug 17 2010, 09:16 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Awww, where the Flying V? smile.gif

Between those two though, Strat I guess.

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Aug 17 2010, 10:07 PM
GMC:er
Both really sexy guitar, it's a toss up...
Is also depends what your comparing - Gibson Les Paul Standard VS. Fender American Stratocaster Guitar?
It's kinda like comparing Slash VS. Hendrix, they are both great in their own ways!

The Strat I guess would win because it is more balanced playing (specially sitting down) and lower cost. Feels more comfortable.

The Les Paul grows on you however and the double cut is one of my favs, words can't describe how nice it sounds and plays.
If it was comparing tones, Les Paul would win. However, this does not mean that it will be the right guitar for you.

Not be a quick, simple decision. It's personal taste.

This post has been edited by Azzaboi: Aug 17 2010, 10:10 PM

--------------------

Play Games Arcade
Take a break, Play Games! Play the best free online flash games at Aaron's Game Zone like Bloons Tower Defense 4!

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Aug 18 2010, 12:07 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Ibanez RG...... smile.gif

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Aug 18 2010, 12:15 AM
Learning Tone Master
Strat shapes are way easier to play but they just look ugly so the LP wins by aesthetics and we get a tie.

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Dexxter
Aug 18 2010, 12:59 AM
Learning Tone Guru
Flying V. Ergonomics and aesthetics

But since that is not an option I'll go with the strat shape. I have never tried an LP, yet.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran
Aug 18 2010, 02:33 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
I voted strat, I guess it's "the guitar" in my mind, when I think about electric guitars, strats are what I imagine, I love the shape, the balance, how they stick to you while playing, easy fret access, etc.

Having said that I also like many other guitar shapes, such as SGs, Vs and LPs. Someday I'll get a LP.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 18 2010, 11:11 AM
The strat shape provides better high fret access and has been modified by Ibanez, Jackson and other vendors to allow even greater upper fret access. Some guitars even trim down the lower cut away making it smaller than the top cut away to keep it from getting in the way.

That said, the LP shape does look pretty darn good and provides better sustain in many cases due to the lack of a "bolt on" neck in many cases and the fact that the top cutaway is actually connected further up the neck than the strat shape. But the the poll was on shape, so Strat shape! smile.gif It's all about access to frets high and low.

Todd

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Aug 18 2010, 11:59 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Between those two, I'll have to say the Les Paul smile.gif

But the ultimate shape for me is a mix between Tele and LP (I have two), looks great biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 21 2010, 01:01 PM
Instructor
Not really sure, I love both of these shapes, they are completely different, so comparing is a bit strange. Both Strat and LP look cool, and every guitar has it's own characteristics that cannot be matched on the other. So, I would say - both smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Wilska
Aug 21 2010, 01:46 PM
I would also say Flying V. Ergonomics and aesthetics, hands down.
But between a strat and a LP, the LP would win every time. The strat shape is really really ugly, sure it's nice if your sitting with it on your right leg (if you're right handed), but that makes for a very bad posture. Standing up the LP wins, especially the ESP LPs, with the lighter weight and the small belly cutout.

For sexiness... Well the strat is just a tiny step above a tasteless BC Rich guitar in my mind =)
The LP is classy, but the Flying V rules them all wink.gif

--------------------
------ Wilska's Gear ------

Guitars: Gibson Flying V Faded '67, ESP Ltd Alexi 600, Jackson Kelly KE3
Pickups: SD Blackout, Emg 81/85
Amp: Krank Rev Jr Pro
Effects: Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah, Digitech Hardwire CM-2, Digitech Hardwire DL-8, MXR Phase 90
Recording: Blackstar HT-DistX, Line6 Pod X3 Live
Pick: Dunlop Jazz III XL black, Dunlop Ultex Sharp 1.14 and 1.40
Strings: GHS Boomers 10-52, Rotosound 10-46

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
Aug 21 2010, 02:38 PM
Learning Tone Master
For playability/ergonomics, Id say this one:

But its almost as bad looking (for me) as a Les Paul, so my vote goes to Strats biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Alexiaden93
Aug 21 2010, 05:08 PM
Learning Rock Star
Strat smile.gif No question ^^ Both playability and looks, there's nothing more beautiful than a pristine white Stratocaster smile.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel
Lost in all the 2000+ GMC lessons? Check my Lesson Plan

Guitars
Fender American Standard Stratocaster - Olympic White body, Maple fretboard, White Pearl pickguard, 21 frets, SSS
Yamaha Pacifica

Amplifier
Marshall 15CDR, 45 watts

Recording equipment/software
Line 6 POD Studio GX
Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000
Reaper v3.04
Sony Vegas Pro 8.0

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Aug 21 2010, 06:09 PM
Instructor
i love Flying V's also smile.gif.
but between those, both wins smile.gif

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Aug 22 2010, 01:09 AM
Instructor
Stratshaped guitars are probably easier to sit and play with, at first. LP's might feel a bit heavy and uneven at first, but it's nothing you cant get used to.
I've had my LP for around 15 years now, but the whole feeling of it being heavy went away after the first month.

All in all, i voted for LP. It's the superior shape. It looks classier and is (in most cases) built way more robust.
You can almost break a Strat by looking at it the wrong way.

This post has been edited by Trond Vold: Aug 22 2010, 01:10 AM

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Aug 22 2010, 01:12 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Trond Vold @ Aug 22 2010, 02:09 AM) *

That's the best description of a strat I ever heard laugh.gif

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Aug 22 2010, 02:17 AM
QUOTE (Trond Vold @ Aug 21 2010, 08:09 PM) *
Stratshaped guitars are probably easier to sit and play with, at first. LP's might feel a bit heavy and uneven at first, but it's nothing you cant get used to.
I've had my LP for around 15 years now, but the whole feeling of it being heavy went away after the first month.

All in all, i voted for LP. It's the superior shape. It looks classier and is (in most cases) built way more robust.

I beg to differ Trond, the Stratocaster in my humble opinion is exceptionally more rugged of an instrument than the Les Paul. When was the last time you've seen a beat up old LP? Never, because it can't even survive the first drop. Beat up old Strats however are all over the place, and survive years of abuse. SRV used to stand on his Strat and beat the day lights out of it night after night. In fact, Fender now beats up brand new Strats and markets them as "road worn" smile.gif Of all the guitars in production the LP has the highest rate of neck fractures, most likely do to it lacking a neck volute.

If you've never heard of Ed Roman, you should check out his web page, its pretty interesting. He is one of the premier builders of custom guitars. Ed has worked for Gibson and even was a ghost builder for them. He also has a service department that fixes guitars, and they fix more Les Paul necks than all the other guitars combined. Heres an article he has written, check it out, its really eye opening.

Les Paul Necks Break!!!

Aesthetics and comfort are pretty much a matter of personal preference, but reliability and ruggedness are a matter of statistics.

--------------------

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Aug 22 2010, 02:22 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mudbone @ Aug 22 2010, 03:17 AM) *
I beg to differ Trond, the Stratocaster in my humble opinion is exceptionally more rugged of an instrument than the Les Paul. When was the last time you've seen a beat up old LP? Never, because it can't even survive the first drop. Beat up old Strats however are all over the place, and survive years of abuse. SRV used to stand on his Strat and beat the day lights out of it night after night. In fact, Fender now beats up brand new Strats and markets them as "road worn" smile.gif Of all the guitars in production the LP has the highest rate of neck fractures, most likely do to it lacking a neck volute.

If you've never heard of Ed Roman, you should check out his web page, its pretty interesting. He is one of the premier builders of custom guitars. Ed has worked for Gibson and even was a ghost builder for them. He also has a service department that fixes guitars, and they fix more Les Paul necks than all the other guitars combined. Heres an article he has written, check it out, its really eye opening.

Les Paul Necks Break!!!

Aesthetics and comfort are pretty much a matter of personal preference, but reliability and ruggedness are a matter of statistics.

Well, i too beg to differ smile.gif
How many live-shows have you seen someone break a LP? There's a reason why everyone who bashes up a guitar on stage use a strat as their victim..

And.. you wouldnt believe the abuse my LP has endured! It's just 15 years old but it looks like it's been through both WW1 and WW2.
Still plays as good as new though, if not better smile.gif

This post has been edited by Trond Vold: Aug 22 2010, 02:23 AM

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Aug 22 2010, 02:40 AM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Aug 21 2010, 08:01 AM) *
Not really sure, I love both of these shapes, they are completely different, so comparing is a bit strange. Both Strat and LP look cool, and every guitar has it's own characteristics that cannot be matched on the other. So, I would say - both smile.gif

True they are both different, one was designed (strat) and the other was slapped together (LP) tongue.gif But the reason why I decided to limit the poll to these two guitars is because they are by far the most dominant shapes on the market. I considered adding the Flying V but then people would ask how come I didn't add the SG, or Tele, or Explorer etc... (On a side not, I love the Explorer shape) I tried to keep the argument to the aesthetics and ergonomics of the shapes, but we've seen how well that went looool

QUOTE (Trond Vold @ Aug 21 2010, 09:22 PM) *
Well, i too beg to differ smile.gif
How many live-shows have you seen someone break a LP? There's a reason why everyone who bashes up a guitar on stage use a strat as their victim..

And.. you wouldnt believe the abuse my LP has endured! It's just 15 years old but it looks like it's been through both WW1 and WW2.
Still plays as good as new though, if not better smile.gif

Of course musicians break more Strats on stage, who in their right mind would smash up a $3000 guitar? Strats are waaay cheaper than Les Pauls. By the way, I have a 1981 Yamaha Lawsuit Les Paul, and it has been to hell and back, and survived mostly intact, (chipped headstock biggrin.gif) It even survived the desert heat of Kuwait, which can reach 50 C. But this Lawsuit Les Paul has a neck volute and is bolt-on rather than set, thereby eliminating the originals design flaws. I love that guitar, its got a nice sound to it, but it isn't nearly as comfortable as the Strat shaped LTD Horizon that I got sitting next to it smile.gif But thats mostly personal preference, to each his own smile.gif

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 03:24 AM