Uploading To Youtube Speed Rage
Spock
May 9 2017, 09:34 AM
GMC:er
Attached Image

Anyone know how the fuck to get YouTube to suck videos in a little faster?

Good gawd I've got about 50 15 to 20 minute videos to upload and each one is taking anywhere from 6 to 8 hours.

Is there a trick? Some sort of deep dark wizardry to get around this? I wonder if uploading to DropBox (which is lightning fast) then maybe dragging from DropBox to YouTube would be faster (so that the bandwidth speed would be DropBox servers to YouTube and bypassing my upload limitations all together.

Or will I just have to turn old and gray while these upload?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 3)
Todd Simpson
May 12 2017, 05:21 AM
There is a trick smile.gif It's about encoding them before uploading them. What are you exporting the videos using in terms of the compression codec? E.G when you export from your video editing app, what settings are being used for the video? If you are exporting using an uncompressed codec (codec = compressor/decompressor such as H.264 for example), or a mildly compressed codec, you end up with HUGE files. These files take FOREVER to go over the pipe. Most broadband vendors only offer a fractional upload speed compared to download speed. To find out what your upload speed is, go to

http://www.speedtest.net/

here is mine for example. Upload only 6 mb (megabits, not megabytes) per second. While download is 10 TIME FASTER! So upload is already 10 times slower, and this is typical for many major broadband vendors in the states. Remember, there are 8 bits per byte. So if your video file is 500 Megabytes, and your upload speed is 5 megabits, you can math it out that is gonna take forever to get that file up.

So exporting files using something like the H.264 codec is crucial. It will take off some quality but it will save you the 8 hour upload hopefully smile.gif

Also, are your vids really 20 minutes long? Those are HUGE videos. Most videos are under 5 minutes. What are you putting up that is that long in play time?

So in short, export using a compressed codec, test your upload speed, and try to keep vids short. smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Spock @ May 9 2017, 04:34 AM) *
Attached Image

Anyone know how the fuck to get YouTube to suck videos in a little faster?

Good gawd I've got about 50 15 to 20 minute videos to upload and each one is taking anywhere from 6 to 8 hours.

Is there a trick? Some sort of deep dark wizardry to get around this? I wonder if uploading to DropBox (which is lightning fast) then maybe dragging from DropBox to YouTube would be faster (so that the bandwidth speed would be DropBox servers to YouTube and bypassing my upload limitations all together.

Or will I just have to turn old and gray while these upload?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Spock
May 12 2017, 04:50 PM
Hey man - just now seeing this. I actually had a program the whole time made specifically for this and I didn't know it. It's part of Adobe Creative Cloud called Media Encoder.

It makes the files much smaller MP4s and I was able to upload (10) 15 - 20 minutes videos in a couple of hours as opposed to 1 / 6-8 hours.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 13 2017, 09:52 PM
BINGO! Media encoder is very handy smile.gif However, you can do everything that media encoder does when you do your export from PREMIERE, assuming your using premiere, as they use the same rendering engine! smile.gif Media encoder is for when you already made your movies, and made them to big. So for that it's perfect!

Yeah, mp4 is the way to go smile.gif It's using the H.264 codec that I mentioned. It's just about squashing the file before you send it over the pipe. Huge files are just a bad idea.
Todd

QUOTE (Spock @ May 12 2017, 11:50 AM) *
Hey man - just now seeing this. I actually had a program the whole time made specifically for this and I didn't know it. It's part of Adobe Creative Cloud called Media Encoder.

It makes the files much smaller MP4s and I was able to upload (10) 15 - 20 minutes videos in a couple of hours as opposed to 1 / 6-8 hours.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 04:24 AM