In A Rut
sigma7
Nov 25 2009, 09:47 PM
GMC:er
Hey GMC, I am stuck. Not with my learning abilities but with my solo compositions. I recently started a metal band at college and I am lead guitar. I got a solo in a song we just created but I can't finish it. Every time I have a lick of sorts, I throw it out as garbage because I feel like its nothing spectacular. Obviously, if I feel like my solos are generic, they are. I know I just need some inspiration or something to work off of. Can you terll me what inspires your solos. What do you do to write one?

-Alex

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
fkalich
Nov 25 2009, 10:56 PM
GMC:er
Rather than say just look internally rather than externally, I thought to give some advice. Anymore I base my practice on my study of recent findings in brain research. And I have discovered the secret to speed and precision, it works. However that is my secret for now. But there are two other elements of interest, one that I have not figured out yet, one is creativity.

I will lay that out for you, how I am approaching that, and you can think about it. If I can help a kid to get an edge, good deal. I have seen you here before, and you seem like a nice kid.

You have two sides to your brain. Now the brain is more plastic that recently thought, more has been learned in the past 10 years how the brain works, and how it learns things, than was understood in the past 10 thousand. For example some people are born with just half a brain hemisphere, and their brain can learn to handle all functions tolerably. However the left side does tend to be the controlling factor for the most part, the right side the creative part. And you are looking for creativity.

The left side is the side which inhibits that. There is an evolutionary reason for this. If there was not a controlling factor in the brain, it would go out of control, like flooring the gas pedal on a car. So the left side tends to shut down the right side when it thinks the tasks are complete, when it has the details it thinks are required. Problem is, the right side of your brain may not feel the same way, the creative part. But the left tends to have the authority, unless the right side can trick it. So your right side has got to get out from under the whip of the left.

I am thinking about this myself, and have no answers. But I have read of techniques to trick the left side of the brain. For example, artists may be instructed to copy some classic portrait, but to do so upside down. This tricks the left brain into thinking the job is not done yet, so it does not shut down creativity. I am trying to figure out ways to do that with the guitar. You can to. However whatever I figure out, if it works, it will be my secret for awhile.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 02:29 PM