> IS THAT YOUR MAMA?

Nope didn't think so either. We all know parents don't get this.

I can show you how to be the virtuoso your folks could only dream about, but I first need your help:

* Pm me and I will show you where to start. I am online every day and I will help you out directly!

* Join my mentoring program. I will customize your learning experience in a way you haven't experienced before. We will have regular contact so that you can remain inspired every day and eventually reach a new level.

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Oh and did you know that to become a killer guitarist you just need to focus on one thing? Everything
else is secondary. Pm me and I will explain.

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Llibach's Arrangement
llibach
Jan 27 2013, 11:36 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hey just noticed too even though I recorded the song in 120 bpm it's should actually be half that speed it was supposed to be a slow moody piece. So let me re record it at 70 bpm to see how it goes.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 28 2013, 09:02 AM
Instructor
Hey mate - sure, let's experiment! biggrin.gif Although the one you sent is very good! Now, I would like to suggest another thing - once you get comfy and familiar with more grooves I will surprise you by sending guitar tracks spanning over a few bars and you my friend will have to devise the drum tracks tongue.gif We'll have one/ two of those a week and you'll be blazing in no time! How does that sound?

Cosmin

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
llibach
Jan 29 2013, 12:14 AM
Learning Rock Star
That sounds like a plan.
So here is the track re-recorded at 65 bpm with drums. I've basically just looped the pattern you asked me to put together through for now.
https://soundcloud.com/llibach/flood-plain-drum

This post has been edited by llibach: Jan 29 2013, 12:17 AM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 29 2013, 08:53 AM
Instructor
This sounds so awesome and it would most likely turn into a good song smile.gif Something in the direction of a System of Down ballad or maybe even more avantgarde? biggrin.gif Anyway, how about putting in some drum fills? smile.gif Let's try everything you hear in your head - one fill each 4 bars?

+Quote Post
llibach
Jan 31 2013, 01:05 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 29 2013, 07:53 AM) *
This sounds so awesome and it would most likely turn into a good song smile.gif Something in the direction of a System of Down ballad or maybe even more avantgarde? biggrin.gif Anyway, how about putting in some drum fills? smile.gif Let's try everything you hear in your head - one fill each 4 bars?

I'm not completely happy with the fills but at least it's a start. I still can't get EZ to work as a midi instrument unless I put down a sample piece and modify it to what I want.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 31 2013, 08:52 AM
Instructor
Strange smile.gif I thought you can assign it as any other pluggin and build from scratch using the piano roll - with Superior Drummer, you can create your own kit and start any groove from 0.

Anyway - I think the fills are good and now I'd like you to try to build up fills using triplets - I noticed that these ones you have built so far are mainly using 16th notes, so a little variation should be great biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
llibach
Feb 1 2013, 11:57 PM
Learning Rock Star
I've used some triplets in the last few fills this time, sounds better now I think.
Is there some general rules, I've started to pick things up now after talking a bit with my drummer and concentrating more on drum parts off my favourite albums. So hats basically always get played, bass would normally be on 1st and 3rd with the snare on the 2nd and 4th.
Is that pretty much how it goes in it's basic form?

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 2 2013, 09:39 AM
Instructor
This sounds more fluid man, I like what you did - now, I wouldn't think about general rules as for me (remember, I am not a drummer laugh.gif ) things always went down at 'how do I make my music sound solid using a drum groove which serves the music'. The way I do it is, I come up with a riff and build the drum groove in such a way that the bass guitar, drums and guitars become one entity. Don't get scared, it takes a bit of time and practice doing this and you will learn as long as you live, but I think you are on a very good way smile.gif Do you have other guitar ideas which need drumming? smile.gif

+Quote Post
llibach
Feb 3 2013, 12:32 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Feb 2 2013, 08:39 AM) *
This sounds more fluid man, I like what you did - now, I wouldn't think about general rules as for me (remember, I am not a drummer laugh.gif ) things always went down at 'how do I make my music sound solid using a drum groove which serves the music'. The way I do it is, I come up with a riff and build the drum groove in such a way that the bass guitar, drums and guitars become one entity. Don't get scared, it takes a bit of time and practice doing this and you will learn as long as you live, but I think you are on a very good way smile.gif Do you have other guitar ideas which need drumming? smile.gif

Yeah I was thinking maybe a heavy riff this time. I'm always unsure with faster riffs if I should try and follow the guitar part or just lay a solid groove solid behind it.
I'm gonna carry on with this one too see if I can finish the song off and show you the results. smile.gif
Anyway here's the riff.
https://soundcloud.com/llibach/under-the-gaze-of-the-wolf

This post has been edited by llibach: Feb 3 2013, 12:33 AM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 3 2013, 02:26 PM
Instructor
Hehe! Nice one mate - I say, try and follow the guitar part AND have a solid groove while doing this wink.gif This is the sort of mammoth sound that is created by taking care of serving the music and making instruments back up one another smile.gif Let's see what you have in mind and we'll take it from there wink.gif

+Quote Post
llibach
Feb 7 2013, 11:50 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hey Cosmin. After playing about with the drums I've finally got something I'm fairly happy with (not completely). I've been checking out youtube for drum tutorials and tried to implement a few of the ideas.
Let me know what you think and if you have any suggestions not just about the drums but the whole thing, sound, mixing, timing etc. smile.gif

This post has been edited by llibach: Feb 7 2013, 11:53 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 8 2013, 10:38 AM
Instructor
Hey man! I like the drums - I only think that the intro drum part should be somewhat more flowing - add a few elements to sustain the riff, without crowding it up - something that builds tension and atmosphere smile.gif On the other hand, the playing is almost there, you have some slight tightness things here and there - you need to sound as perfect and in synch with the drums as possible.

Let's focus on the intro - you need to underline the riff somehow - hope I am being clear enough, when it comes to writing music, it can get messy laugh.gif

+Quote Post
llibach
Feb 11 2013, 12:32 AM
Learning Rock Star
Here's another take then. I've added to the drums at the start, I was trying for some more cymbal work but wasn't getting what I was aiming for but I got near enough to get the idea. I've also double tracked the guitars and added a bass too.
It does sound a bit messy but I'm not a big fan of the over processed modern metal sound and I like the guitars a little raw and rough ( but not as raw as this laugh.gif ) but I'm working on it and picking up some great tips and advice off youtube tutorials.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 11 2013, 09:11 AM
Instructor
smile.gif I understand what you mean and indeed, this is a bit too messy at this point and it needs cleaning up.

Mate, I was thinking about something more atmospheric... such as https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Deftones-Style/ (shameless pluggin, right?) laugh.gif

In the beginning, I have worked with velocities, in order to humanize the sound of the drums - the piece has to grow into an explosion but it has to grow from a lower more discrete intensity - hope I'm making sense here biggrin.gif What do you think?

+Quote Post
llibach
Feb 15 2013, 12:46 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Feb 11 2013, 08:11 AM) *
smile.gif I understand what you mean and indeed, this is a bit too messy at this point and it needs cleaning up.

Mate, I was thinking about something more atmospheric... such as https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Deftones-Style/ (shameless pluggin, right?) laugh.gif

In the beginning, I have worked with velocities, in order to humanize the sound of the drums - the piece has to grow into an explosion but it has to grow from a lower more discrete intensity - hope I'm making sense here biggrin.gif What do you think?

Hey Cosmin, I understand completely what you're on about don't worry and that kind of thing is what I'm aiming for I'm just not able to create it. So here's another attempt though I'm still not getting the right vibe at the start although I hope I'm getting closer. huh.gif
I've also cleaned up the guitars and bass a lot too by cutting the gain and adding compression and eq.

This post has been edited by llibach: Feb 15 2013, 12:47 AM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 15 2013, 09:24 AM
Instructor
Hey mate smile.gif It's getting better and better though - It gives me a grungy feel somehow - something smelling like Alice in Chains somewhere - that's good! biggrin.gif Still, the recording could be tighter - but no hurry, take your time to practice all the riffs slowly and record a perfect take with the drum groove.

I would suggest that we move on a bit and ask you if you have another piece in the bag? Also - a great exercise would be to write down your favorite song in terms of drumming. You could then sort out the guitars and bass and make up a 'no vocals' version of the song, recorded by you smile.gif It's a great drill!

+Quote Post
llibach
Feb 15 2013, 01:03 PM
Learning Rock Star
Ok, i'll have a listen and find a song to cover. I have other riffs but what i want is to go back to the first song and develop that one i think. Take it in a heavier direction for the chorus. This is always my problem starting a song but never finishing it so i want to try to get this one done.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 16 2013, 04:24 PM
Instructor
Alright man! Finishing one thing and then moving on, is a very good idea smile.gif

How does the chorus sound like?

+Quote Post
llibach
Feb 19 2013, 11:45 PM
Learning Rock Star
Ok this is real rough but just to get the idea of where I think it should go.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 20 2013, 09:02 AM
Instructor
Hey mate! Even if I like the overall feeling of the guitar and actually the perspective of what this could end up into (a song, of course biggrin.gif), I must notice that as the name suggests, it is plain biggrin.gif In short, the question is - how will you develop this idea into something that has dynamics and would keep my attention hooked? Do you have a continuation in mind already?

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 06:07 PM