My Cheap $100 Guitar Has A Really Good Tone
shellshock1911
Jan 21 2008, 09:52 PM
GMC:er
I got my first guitar when I was 14, it was an Ibanez GTO, some piece of crap starter pack guitar that cost like $100 with an amp as well. Shortly after getting it, I never seriously played it and when I decided to wanted to become serious about a year later, I got a Fender Strat. and went from there. Then I wanted to be more "heavy" so I sold my fourwheeler and bought can $800 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser which is the best guitar I have right now. Anyway today, I picked up my first guitar for the first time in like 2 years and played it and it actually sounds extremely good and is very easy to play on. The pickups don't even have a brand but they sound really good lol. It might be my new favorite guitar of mine...Anyone else have a similar experience?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
g-forcelover
Jan 21 2008, 09:54 PM
i got a used mockingbird that had gotton the headstock broken off and it plas great, i dont think the headstock affects how the neck plays though

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

i tripped and broke my guitar's neck. :(

+Quote Post
stratman33
Jan 22 2008, 01:39 AM
never happened to me but...i dont know how that could have a better tone than a hellraiser...huh.gif hellraisers have great tone IMO

This post has been edited by stratman33: Jan 22 2008, 01:40 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 22 2008, 01:57 AM
Instructor
Maybe you just got better in playing or something. Maybe the new guitar isn't good for your playing at all and the old one is?

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Jan 22 2008, 02:32 AM
Yea schecters usually have amazing tone! i did this with my old jackson.. once i got my schecter i never touched my jackson but when i picked it up i was sorta like.. u know this aint so bad..

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
swingline
Jan 22 2008, 02:36 AM
I got a cheap Yamaha pack from Costco and it was like $150 (US) and it came with an amp and tons of other stuff. Its got fairly good tone, the amp obviously sucked but it doesn't sound too bad and the necks a lot faster than you would think.

--------------------
--------------------

The Gear:
Jackson Dinky 2M Snow White
Line 6 Spider III 75 watt
Line 6 FBV Express Foot Controller

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jan 22 2008, 12:00 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
EDIT: This post is about swinglines picture in his signature... just to make it clear why I post so strangely wink.gif

I really like that "idiot of the year" picture haha laugh.gif

So funny, appearantly a big moment as it's being filmed and there's a camera flash aswell. And when he runs off his buddy throws coke (not liquor I hope) on his back haha at first just tries to help by wiping the fire off with with his hands.
Wonderful! That burst of fire coming from his mouth is cool too.

Sad really but I can't help laughing laugh.gif

This post has been edited by MickeM: Jan 22 2008, 12:44 PM

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jan 22 2008, 12:40 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Milenkovic Ivan @ Jan 22 2008, 01:57 AM) *
Maybe you just got better in playing or something. Maybe the new guitar isn't good for your playing at all and the old one is?

That's almost what i wanted to say! Usually it's not the guitar that sucks but ourselves! smile.gif You got better and now you can play at your level of skills at almost any guitar. Even the cheapest Ibanez is pretty good so i bet your practicing is the reason why your old guitar sounds good - you got some sound in your fingers now smile.gif

EDIT: typos

This post has been edited by Pavel: Jan 22 2008, 12:41 PM

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Tomotoms
Jan 22 2008, 02:01 PM
QUOTE (shellshock1911 @ Jan 21 2008, 08:52 PM) *
I got my first guitar when I was 14, it was an Ibanez GTO, some piece of crap starter pack guitar that cost like $100 with an amp as well. Shortly after getting it, I never seriously played it and when I decided to wanted to become serious about a year later, I got a Fender Strat. and went from there. Then I wanted to be more "heavy" so I sold my fourwheeler and bought can $800 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser which is the best guitar I have right now. Anyway today, I picked up my first guitar for the first time in like 2 years and played it and it actually sounds extremely good and is very easy to play on. The pickups don't even have a brand but they sound really good lol. It might be my new favorite guitar of mine...Anyone else have a similar experience?

Out of interest; have you tried out any of the higher range Ibanez models? Like a decent RG or a JEM?

+Quote Post
shellshock1911
Jan 22 2008, 10:53 PM
QUOTE (Tomotoms @ Jan 22 2008, 02:01 PM) *
Out of interest; have you tried out any of the higher range Ibanez models? Like a decent RG or a JEM?

Nope, just this cheap GTO or whatever it is called. I'll have to go try some out, a lot of my favorite guitar players play Ibanezes

--------------------

+Quote Post
maxwelldewitte
Jan 22 2008, 10:57 PM
My first guitar is kiddie size.
It has a great sound for gipsy improv biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
T101
Jan 24 2008, 12:18 PM
My first guitar was a Behringer strat copy, and it sounded like ... well, crap laugh.gif But it was ok to start off with, I was just thrilled that I had an electric guitar biggrin.gif

But I do know the feeling when you pick up an old guitar you haven't played for a long time, and then just sit around playing it for hours.

+Quote Post
KloCkWorXx
Jan 26 2008, 02:18 AM
cheap guitars are sometimes really good, just look at SRV Lenny strat the original was bought in a pawnshop for 350 dollars USD.. pawnshop owners never really know what they have...

--------------------
My gear:
epi zakk wylde
ec 1000 cherry
js 100 w dimarzios
dean from hell
5150 half stack
micro cube
Effects: boss delay dd-6, EH small clone chorus, Wylde Wah, Heil talkbox, Boss super overdrive, Rp 250
NS2 Noise Suppressor, DOD YJM308 Yngwie Malmsteen Overdrive

+Quote Post
MattE
Jan 26 2008, 05:30 PM
My first guitar was a Squier Stratocaster from the all famous Fender Strat Pack laugh.gif

It played nicely, but after a while it just started to give out on me
I ended up buying an Ibanez ARX-320 after that one for $320, it's lasted me through my insane guitar projects (if anyone remembers my double guitar laugh.gif )

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 05:48 PM