String Bending - Loosens Other Strings
Brandon Earman
Jan 6 2010, 04:40 AM
Learning Roadie
Hey GMC, I recently noticed that when I bend my strings, it audibly flattens my other strings. I've never noticed this before, but it is there any way to avoid this?

I noticed it when looking at the Cliffs of Dover tab. Beginning with striking the open low E string, I bend the 15th fret high E string to a full step bend. The low E is supposed to continue ringing but it sounds terrible since it's now flat from bending the high E string.

Any ideas? I know EJ actually recorded this song on a Gibson, but he mostly plays Strats which is what I'm using. I was thinking maybe the tremolo system could affect it.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"That's alright I still got my guitar, look out now!" -Hendrix
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jan 6 2010, 10:44 AM
Lets go fishing!
What model of guitar do you have? I had this problem alot with some of my first guitars, specifically those with a trem. Usually the cure is to turn it into a hard tail by placing a small block of wood inside the trem system. There are some really great guides on youtube how to do this smile.gif

I went for a hard tail guitar for this exact reason, I love the absolute tuning stability it offers. It allows you too pick up and play any time with no fuss!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by mattacuk: Jan 6 2010, 10:45 AM

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jan 6 2010, 01:50 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (earman @ Jan 6 2010, 04:40 AM) *
I was thinking maybe the tremolo system could affect it.

Yes, for the floating kinds when you bend a string you pull the tremolo upwards from the increased tension of that string. Affecting the others strings to sit looser.

+Quote Post
Ivan Zecic
Jan 6 2010, 03:06 PM
GMC:er
That's completely normal, you can even hear that on fixed bridges if you have an excellent ear. Real guitar masters deal with it by bending the flattened string just a bit, so it stays PRETTY MUCH in tune, but if you don't want to mess around with that, just get a tremol-no, or simply block your tremolo. (the first option is way better)

--------------------
Check out my lessons!

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jan 6 2010, 09:19 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ivan Zecic @ Jan 6 2010, 03:06 PM) *
That's completely normal, you can even hear that on fixed bridges if you have an excellent ear. Real guitar masters deal with it by bending the flattened string just a bit, so it stays PRETTY MUCH in tune, but if you don't want to mess around with that, just get a tremol-no, or simply block your tremolo. (the first option is way better)

Tremol-no for the win. wink.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Brandon Earman
Jan 7 2010, 12:41 AM
Learning Roadie
I'm using an '08 American Strat. Everything's stock on it.

--------------------
"That's alright I still got my guitar, look out now!" -Hendrix

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 7 2010, 12:43 AM
Instructor
Tremol-no is a good solution to the problem, and if you have a vintage tremolo, you can buy some extra springs (although in most cases 3 will do), and tighten up the screws at the back, so that the bridge is now resting on the body. Increase tension for as much as you can until the other strings won't flatten when you bend. It will also improve sustain a bit, since the vibrations will be better transferred from bridge to body. I have 5 springs and the tension is just right for a whole step bend, after that, the bridge starts to raise (just a bit).

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Hammerhead
Jan 7 2010, 07:00 AM
earman,
you have to go to this site! http://joe.emenaker.com/TremStabilizers/

This is not a new problem but it seems that many guitarist don't know of the possible solutions. You can keep your floating tremorlo system! This type of tremolo stabilizer is what steve Vai uses, so you know it works! I have installed the ESP version on my 09 strat for the very reason you stated. I could not bend and keep other stings in tune. From what I've read the ESP version is better made than the HIP-SHot one and it transfers tone better. I can say I put this in and I love it! Now I have NO problem and my bridge is set to float! Tremlo-no will lock your tem in place... which may or may not be what you want? I didn't want to lock it down...and this system works. So take a look and if you have questions just PM me, or post the questions cool.gif

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
When I look down at my hands... I see "FINGERS of DOOM"

+Quote Post
twist
Jan 7 2010, 01:36 PM
I would hurt me if i had to drill holes in my guitar, so the best solutions seems to be a trmol-no. I am currently looking around where i can buy them here in germany. smile.gif

--------------------
rivers just happen

+Quote Post
Hammerhead
Jan 7 2010, 04:40 PM
I'm not big on drilling holes in my guitar for sure... but in the tremolo housing in the back of the guitar, I was ok with. In fact I bought a new mint green pickguard and after swaping the pickups, I discovered that the "Fender" pickguard had one hole in the wromg place? ohmy.gif So the shop I bought it from suggested I just drill a new hole dry.gif so I just left it empty. Here is a video that addresses the issues with the floating bridge...
By the way I felt that the Hip shot was too much drilling for me... the ESP version has 4 very small screws...

This post has been edited by Hammerhead: Jan 7 2010, 04:49 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jan 7 2010, 05:21 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (twist @ Jan 7 2010, 01:36 PM) *
I would hurt me if i had to drill holes in my guitar, so the best solutions seems to be a trmol-no. I am currently looking around where i can buy them here in germany. smile.gif

Have you searched on ebay?

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jan 7 2010, 05:24 PM
QUOTE (Hammerhead @ Jan 7 2010, 03:40 PM) *
By the way I felt that the Hip shot was too much drilling for me... the ESP version has 4 very small screws...

I've installed the Hipshot for a few people and have to say that they're a great little unit!!!
I hadn't heard of the ESP one before, I'll be sure and check it out!! Thanks for the H/up!!!
biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Hammerhead
Jan 7 2010, 05:31 PM
I've installed the Hipshot for a few people and have to say that they're a great little unit!!!
I hadn't heard of the ESP one before, I'll be sure and check it out!! Thanks for the H/up!!!
biggrin.gif

Jones,
Glad I could help... I have to say I love this device! Really, I recommend it to any one who needs help with their floating bridge, it really works as advertised! This link,

http://joe.emenaker.com/TremStabilizers/
he guy seems to have worked with a few different ones and compares them... definitely worth a look! cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jan 7 2010, 06:24 PM
QUOTE (Hammerhead @ Jan 7 2010, 04:31 PM) *
Jones,
Glad I could help... I have to say I love this device! Really, I recommend it to any one who needs help with their floating bridge, it really works as advertised! This link,

he guy seems to have worked with a few different ones and compares them... definitely worth a look! cool.gif

Very interesting reading!! Thanks for that link!!!
Next time I'm asked to install one I'll try to get them to go for the ESP or the Goldo!!!
biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
twist
Jan 7 2010, 08:26 PM
QUOTE (Hammerhead @ Jan 7 2010, 05:31 PM) *
biggrin.gif

Jones,

Would you realy rely on those things with a lot of plastic parts? Like Tremsetterand Ibanez Backstop.

--------------------
rivers just happen

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jan 7 2010, 09:58 PM
QUOTE (twist @ Jan 7 2010, 07:26 PM) *
Would you realy rely on those things with a lot of plastic parts? Like Tremsetterand Ibanez Backstop.

I can stand by the Tremsetter 100%! I installed one on a friends guitar 15 or so years ago and it's never been touched since. The guitar holds tune perfectly and has never needed anything adjusting! I've never had a call from anyone else I've installed them for either, so (hopefully) they are all still working correctly!
As for the 'Backstop' not having actually seen one 'in the flesh' I can't pass an informed judgment on it, but unless you're going to start throwing your guitar around, dropping it and generally abusing it there's no reason for it to fail! It looks like a fairly easy install and set up. Just maybe a bit tricky to do any small adjustments on with the way it sits under the centre spring and not leaving a lot room for fingers or tools.

As I mentioned, I would really like to install one of those ESP ones as I think it looks like the best one of the bunch!

It's all about your budget too, the Hipshot is about half the price of the ESP.
smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hammerhead
Jan 8 2010, 07:26 AM
I have a friend who travels to Japan and got me mine for less (like $25) biggrin.gif so they are not to much, just look internationally. ESP seems to have a license issue in the USA ( with Gibson... go figure wacko.gif) , so if you have friends or others who can look elsewhere it may pay off for you wink.gif I think it is worth trying some of these devices if you have the patience and you can find enough encouragement from friends or from reviews on the internet. I've read some great reviews about Hipshot on the Web, so I think that they are going to hold up... I like the ESP version for the reasons I've stated but I also know that everyone has different needs.These tremolo stabilizers can help I know "cause I have tried one. The ESP version is not easy to adjust, that is a fact. blink.gif The slight on Hipshot maybe that they have plastic parts, but reviews will tell you that they do work. For me I like the all metal, bullet proof look, and feel, of the ESP trem stabilizer. For me it's less invasive, and I was able to find it for less... wink.gif I can say that I am a happy guy cool.gif I want to say to all Tremolo bridge fans, you can have your cake and eat it too!

You will still have to tune your guitar, just like a hard tail or a non-floating bridge, because all guitars will go out of tune if you pull on the strings hard enough! cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 04:46 AM