Which New Guitar...
Spock
Jun 28 2014, 01:28 AM
GMC:er
Okay, so.

I am interested in:

Ibanez, Tele, Les Paul, Custom Jackson.

Itching for that Wizard Neck but I don't have a clue about Ibanez, their models are a complete mystery to me.

My friend has an awesome Tele, so I can always play one of those.

Whatever I get must have a tremolo.

This time, no mid-range guitar, I'm looking for a trophy piece that plays me as opposed to me playing it - hey, I need all the help I can get!

No more than $3,500. What should I get?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Jun 28 2014, 01:48 AM
QUOTE (Spock @ Jun 27 2014, 08:28 PM) *
Okay, so.

I am interested in:

Itching for that Wizard Neck but I don't have a clue about Ibanez, their models are a complete mystery to me.

This time, no mid-range guitar, I'm looking for a trophy piece that plays me as opposed to me playing it - hey, I need all the help I can get!

Lol with that price range, you could probably almost get 1 of everything minus the Jackson.

I would honestly add PRS/EBMM to that list. Fast necks but not super thin. Both are very versatile guitars in the end.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Jun 28 2014, 02:01 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Spock @ Jun 28 2014, 01:28 AM) *
Okay, so.

I am interested in:

I BOUGHT out of necessity , being left handed and just could not find anything , did n't want to spend a grand for something that sucked. I went with this one , and can not pick up any of my other guitars , at all, so I am selling them
http://www.rondomusic.com/hawker727bkflameleft.html
here are some of their right handed models
http://www.rondomusic.com/7string.html

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 28 2014, 02:58 AM
He's got a good point smile.gif For that kind of money, you could get an entire collection of nice guitars. As far as IBBY axes go, you can get a used axe and save wads. If you are willing to spend that kind of money, you can't go wrong with any IBANEZ JEM or pretty much any IBANEZ JCUSTOM.

To be honest, if you really have that kind of cash to spend, I'd think about buying several guitars over time and allowing yourself time with each one. It's the only real way to get to know what you do and don't like.

Spending a large wad of cash on a guitar before you know what your getting in to is fraught with problems. Sort of like a Mail Order Bride.

You have tried some starter guitars and now it looks like you are skipping the middle and heading to the pricey units straight away?

Honestly, for under $600 you can get some killer axes if you are willing to buy them used. They don't have the "new car smell" but so freaking what? smile.gif Every axe you've seen me post pictures of in the past two years has been under $600. Most have been under $500. Sure, they all "list" for over a grand but street price/used is a different story smile.gif

So in short, I'd say what I always say. Take the day. Spend it in a guitar shop. Play everything. Find the one that speaks to you. Buy it smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (SpaseMoonkey @ Jun 27 2014, 08:48 PM) *
Lol with that price range, you could probably almost get 1 of everything minus the Jackson.

I would honestly add PRS/EBMM to that list. Fast necks but not super thin. Both are very versatile guitars in the end.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jun 28 2014, 02:58 AM

+Quote Post
SixStringSamurai
Jun 28 2014, 04:08 AM
What do you want this guitar to sound like?

What do you intend to play on it?

What kind of neck profiles do you like?

What kind of body shapes have you found most comfortable?

--------------------
http://www.six-string-samurai.com - Gear reviews for the terminally GAS-afflicted.

Thank you to John at GMC for inviting me to hang out and talk gear with you guys!

+Quote Post
Spock
Jun 28 2014, 10:09 AM
All great points. Truth is I'm in no hurry for a new guitar, i like the ones I have, but I've played with the idea of getting something really nice and I noticed a Steve Vai Ibbi was in that range - $3k, but I'd rather not spend that much money on one to be honest.

I like the way different guitars feel, and so far PRS is my favorite so far, but I remember loving that $700 Ibanez I had years ago that I traded for a bass.

I like the Les Paul Axcess too. But I have not felt enough Les Paul's to know if there is a neck on one that I'd fall in love with. My friend with the Tele has a LP and I've played it and it doesn't blow me away, and a friend from work has many of them and wouldn't own anything else - but I've never played any of his.

So - like you said Todd, I'm just going to take my time and play different ones at different music stores - not order one, and just see what happens.

This post has been edited by Spock: Jun 28 2014, 11:43 AM

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jun 28 2014, 11:24 AM
Learning Roadie
Suhr Modern is another one for your list

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Spock
Jun 28 2014, 11:47 AM
No doubt about the Suhr's. And there is a local dealer with them hanging on the wall.

I think I really want to play with different Ibanez and Jackson models. So I guess the thin neck is what I'm looking for. I also like the almost scalloped feel of the Wizard neck, not between frets, but from what I remember, the neck from the top E to the bottom E felt almost like it was curved in, and that is what I'm looking for I think, all that but with some nice hardware already installed. And even though I prefer natural finishes, I am really digging matte black too.

I'm taking this week off work, so I hope to get plenty of looking around done.

+Quote Post
bleez
Jun 28 2014, 02:12 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Spock @ Jun 28 2014, 11:47 AM) *
No doubt about the Suhr's. And there is a local dealer with them hanging on the wall.

I think I really want to play with different Ibanez and Jackson models. So I guess the thin neck is what I'm looking for. I also like the almost scalloped feel of the Wizard neck, not between frets, but from what I remember, the neck from the top E to the bottom E felt almost like it was curved in, and that is what I'm looking for I think, all that but with some nice hardware already installed. And even though I prefer natural finishes, I am really digging matte black too.

I'm taking this week off work, so I hope to get plenty of looking around done.

Ive been sniffing out some ibanez's as well the last couple of weeks. Going through to a store this weekend to play a few. Ive never played one before so Im really looking forward to it. I may absolutely hate them of course smile.gif Im hopefully trying out a used MIJ rg3270 and a S970. They have a JEM as well which I'll need to have a shot of, its the cheaper 555 one so I dont know if it will be as good as the other two.
Awesome budget you've got dude smile.gif will you be checking out the Lifeson signature Paul?

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Spock
Jun 28 2014, 02:17 PM
QUOTE (bleez @ Jun 28 2014, 09:12 AM) *
Ive been sniffing out some ibanez's as well the last couple of weeks. Going through to a store this weekend to play a few. Ive never played one before so Im really looking forward to it. I may absolutely hate them of course smile.gif Im hopefully trying out a used MIJ rg3270 and a S970. They have a JEM as well which I'll need to have a shot of, its the cheaper 555 one so I dont know if it will be as good as the other two.
Awesome budget you've got dude smile.gif will you be checking out the Lifeson signature Paul?

The Lifeson model is what got me really wanting a Les Paul, but after looking into more I think it's a little too much gadgetry for me. I just want a thin bodied LP with a gut-cutaway and a recessed tremolo - and I think that is the Axcess pretty much.

As far as budget, well, we just got our annual bonus at work and we had a very good year smile.gif

+Quote Post
Spock
Jun 28 2014, 02:45 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jun 27 2014, 09:58 PM) *
You have tried some starter guitars and now it looks like you are skipping the middle and heading to the pricey units straight away?

Todd

Forgot to address this. No - I have 2 PRS's that are my go-to guitars. Both were over $2K. A Custom 22 and a Standard 24

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Jun 28 2014, 03:20 PM
QUOTE (Spock @ Jun 28 2014, 09:45 AM) *
Forgot to address this. No - I have 2 PRS's that are my go-to guitars. Both were over $2K. A Custom 22 and a Standard 24

If you really like the PRS give the EBMM JP model a try, it will fit in nicely with those.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 09:39 AM