hi here

i look for some nice pickup to replace my Epiphone Les paul studio's pickups

theses seem to be cool

http://www.irongear.co.uk/irongear_pickups_031.htm

any advices ?

i'm convived that chines people can do great stuff for a nice prices

Laurent

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Jun 10 2015, 12:16 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (fzalfa @ Jun 10 2015, 12:03 AM) *
hi here

i'm convived that chines people can do great stuff for a nice prices

Laurent

they look a little light if you ever want to get any higher gain. 80,s metal I would be lookin for bridge pickup in the 13 - 14 ohm range, 16 ohm for higher gain stuff. This is were being a good player comes into play. With a good volume pot and a coil splitter there is not much a seymour duncan JB http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/elec...t/sh4_jb_model/ . I would see if they could match these specks

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jun 10 2015, 12:57 AM
GMC:er
The values, magnet type...on paper they look pretty cool.

About affordable PU's, I disassembled stock ibanez PU sometime ago and discovered the magnetism was very weak on them(every component including the magnet smile.gif ). This leads to lifeless/ almost muddy sound I'm sure everybody is familiar with. For wax, I believe it was simple candle wax as it was very different from what I found when opened my dimarzio's.

These sort of stuff can't be understood on paper so its really up to you to try them, just don't keep expectations high.

I'm actually a believer for using low output PU's on heavy distortion. Rule is you should have enough gain on the beginning of the chain (like clean booster or an overdrive set for volume boosting) and also before hitting the distortion the highs must be cut a little.

Very high freq. tend to sound disturbing when distorted or overdriven and low output PU's are known (actually prefered) for this quality. Great on Clean and vintage sounds but potentially gets problematic as gain increases. Best is to spend time testing capasitors for the perfect spot or use an eq/filter on a pedal to tame them. Boring maybe but really worth the effort.

This is one of the reasons why I like dimarzio's, some models can sound open but still the highs are tame. I encourage their airzone model for bridge to friends as I took the time to modify my tonezone to it and can't be happyer but the neck (to me) is really personal as lots more "obvious" variety/preferences can happen there.

You can check Kristofer's new Tele and listen to his jamming, perfect and fresh example how vintage based PU's can shred too smile.gif

This post has been edited by Mertay: Jun 10 2015, 01:04 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Jun 10 2015, 01:17 AM
Learning Roadie
This is were being a good player comes into play

don't be so fast, i started to learn no so far ago !

i only want to have better pickup from the stock one on my LP studio, for a nice price

Laurent

--------------------

</div>

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 10 2015, 03:29 AM
I have to agree with the other posters and say they look a bit light. They would probably be good for blues but for adding tone to a guitar it's worth it not to skimp on the pickups. If you like alnico, ( I do to) there are a great many choices from Seymour Duncan that are well known in terms of how they sound in various instruments.

I like trying boutique pickups but you are always gambling in that there are not wads of youtube videos to let you know how they sound. If you know the type of sound you want, and have a couple hundred to spend, you can get whatever you like wink.gif

What sort of tone are you wanting?

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Jun 10 2015, 06:40 AM
Learning Roadie
as many i love the slash sound.

maybe i can buy a second hand dimarzio slash pickup for about 100€

i have watch the video about the chinese pickup, they seem to sound good.... but

i know a guy near me, who produce guitars and he do pickup himself, 120€ each, at the specs you want

i must dig more or wait the right one

Laurent

--------------------

</div>

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jun 10 2015, 07:32 PM
QUOTE (fzalfa @ Jun 10 2015, 05:40 AM) *
Laurent

Me too but do make a research as those pickups (Seymour duncan makes them) can be extremely picky for the amp.

I know a lot of people from web who changed them right after install. My guess is his amp is sort of uniqe, also the album sound makes the guitar much bigger sounding than solo. If I wanted to get that tone, I'd rather go for the PAF direction.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 10 2015, 07:39 PM
I wouldn't trust a no name china pickup unless I'd played it in an axe very similar to what I was thinking of installing them in. You have a good point on the slash pickups smile.gif They are a very nice set and yield very good tone and are well priced on the used market.

Having a builder/vendor close by who will build to your specs is very handy smile.gif He's only charging a bit more than mass produced pickups also. Some boutique builders charge $200 per pup. For your epiphany though, the slash are a great way to go as you already know what they sound like and if you ever happen to sell the guitar it's got an upgrade to distinguish it from a standard epiphone. I"ve found that reselling guitars with boutique pickups nobody has heard of can actually decrease the value.

Todd

QUOTE (fzalfa @ Jun 10 2015, 01:40 AM) *

maybe i can buy a second hand dimarzio slash pickup for about 100€

i have watch the video about the chinese pickup, they seem to sound good.... but

i know a guy near me, who produce guitars and he do pickup himself, 120€ each, at the specs you want

i must dig more or wait the right one

Laurent

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 08:54 PM