Sweeps
staticstef
Oct 18 2008, 02:05 PM
GMC:er
Ok im sorry if this has been brought up a few times already but im trying to imprve the accuracy/ speed of my sweeps. I seem to be having trouble with this sort of arpeggio in particular (the A shape). The example ill use is the C major arpeggio that has the A shape.

________________________3________________________
____________________5_______5____________________
________________5_______________5________________
_______2____5_______________________5____2_______
___3_________________________________________3___

Ok below the tab is the fingering that i am using for this arpeggio, please tell me if i am doing this wrong btw. I find it really hard to do the sweep with my little finger over 3 strings, any one got any advice on how to do the sweep using the little finger i.e. shud it be at a certain angle, shud it be flat etc

Thanks in advance

Stef

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by staticstef: Oct 18 2008, 02:06 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mark.
Oct 18 2008, 02:15 PM
I would play this arpeggio like this

E----------------------------------------3----8----3------------------------------
B-----------------------------5---------------------------5-----------------------
G--------------------5------------------------------------------5-------------------
D-----------5------------------------------------------------------------5-----------
A-3---7------------------------------------------------------------------------7
E----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 4 2 2 2 1 4 1 2 2 2 4

Same notes but much easier for your fingers

But if I needed to play the way you tabbed it I would use
2 1 3 3 3 1

Playing the roling part with your 3 finger is also better because if you would sweep it like this

E-----------------------------3----8----3----------------------------
B------------------------5--------------------5---------------------
G-------------------5---------------------------------5--------------
D------2------5--------------------------------------------5-------2
A-3------------------------------------------------------------------
E--------------------------------------------------------------------
2 1 3 3 3 1 4 1 3 3 3
The high C note would be much easier to play with your pinky

Another edit: If I would play this arpeggio starting from the C at the 15th fret A string I would use my 2nd finger for the roll just like I used my 2nd finger with the shape I posted first

E-----------------------------------------15----20-----15--------------------------------------------
B---------------------------------17----------------------------17---------------------------------------
G---------------------17---------------------------------------------------17----------------------
D---------14----17-----------------------------------------------------------------17---14--------
A--15------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2 1 2 2 2 1 4 1 2 2 2 1

But this is just because the frets are less big up high.

But anyways your way using your pinky isn't incorrect or anything it just a bit awkward to play it fast imo
If you really wanna use your pinky you should just train it the same way as if you would roll it with your 3/2/1 finger

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Mark.: Oct 18 2008, 02:33 PM

+Quote Post
fkalich
Oct 18 2008, 02:17 PM
QUOTE (staticstef @ Oct 18 2008, 08:05 AM) *
Ok im sorry if this has been brought up a few times already but im trying to imprve the accuracy/ speed of my sweeps. I seem to be having trouble with this sort of arpeggio in particular (the A shape). The example ill use is the C major arpeggio that has the A shape.

________________________3________________________
____________________5_______5____________________
________________5_______________5________________
_______2____5_______________________5____2_______
___3_________________________________________3___

Ok below the tab is the fingering that i am using for this arpeggio, please tell me if i am doing this wrong btw. I find it really hard to do the sweep with my little finger over 3 strings, any one got any advice on how to do the sweep using the little finger i.e. shud it be at a certain angle, shud it be flat etc

Thanks in advance

Stef

well, I tend to finger in different ways than most people, quite often, but here, I would go with the typical, and you are not doing that. I would play the first note with the index finger, then the second on the same string as the first, at the 7th fret, bar the next three notes with one of the middle fingers, then index on top string. You can also then play with pinkie on the top string at 8th fret if you like. Can't see why you want to finger it that way.

Again, I do different fingerings, just don't see the point in that one. Unless I am missing something.

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Oct 18 2008, 02:21 PM
Get to da Chopper!
Well, like mark said- there are easier ways to play it, either using a different fingering or a different position.

However- if you're using this example as a technical challenge- i suggest you try that 3 string roll (all on the 5th fret) with each finger, concentrating on seperating the notes. Once you're comfortable doing it with your other 3 fingers then you can practise it with your little finger, then eventually work it back into the arpeggio.

You've picked quite a challenge for the little finger here, most people complain about rolling but rarely even try it with their little finger! Best of luck mate biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
staticstef
Oct 18 2008, 02:32 PM
Hey mark thanks for your advice i will take that on board i think your way is much easier just tried it laugh.gif , Spot on advice, i was just going by the book and neva actually thought about altering them, in that case there is many that i will alter because this books fingerings are not exactly the easiest laugh.gif Thanks again

Hey fkalich i no it isnt exaclty the easiest way to finger but i am pretty new to arpeggios because i have been sticking to a few that i no well but want to expand my ability, therefore i bought a book on arpeggios and this book i have contains the recommended fingering for these shapes and the one that i posted was straight out of the book so dont blame me lol

Hey deeproots like your way of thinking, it is a challenge and i will probably continue to practice using the pinky for the roll (challenging the little finger to do hard things might increase my ability smile.gif), but that will only be for practice i will most likely use the arpeggio that Mark suggested

This post has been edited by staticstef: Oct 18 2008, 02:41 PM

+Quote Post
Mark.
Oct 18 2008, 02:36 PM
Hehe I editted it like 15 times or something could make a lesson out of it tongue.gif

+Quote Post
staticstef
Oct 18 2008, 02:44 PM
QUOTE (Mark. @ Oct 18 2008, 02:36 PM) *
Hehe I editted it like 15 times or something could make a lesson out of it tongue.gif

Thanks again smile.gif really appreciate ur advice and it was very helpful smile.gif your fingering makes more sence than the one in the book lol

+Quote Post
Mark.
Oct 18 2008, 02:46 PM
QUOTE (DeepRoots @ Oct 18 2008, 03:21 PM) *
However- if you're using this example as a technical challenge- i suggest you try that 3 string roll (all on the 5th fret) with each finger, concentrating on seperating the notes. Once you're comfortable doing it with your other 3 fingers then you can practise it with your little finger, then eventually work it back into the arpeggio.

I like this shape laugh.gif

E----------------------------------------12----15----20---15----12--------------------------------------------
B----------------------5----8-----13------------------------------------13-----8----5--------------------------
G-----------------5------------------------------------------------------------------------5-----------------------
D------2----5------------------------------------------------------------------------------------5-----2----------
A--3- -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------3--
E-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2 1 1 1 1 2 2 1 3 T 3 1 2 2 1 1 1 1 2

This post has been edited by Mark.: Oct 18 2008, 02:48 PM

+Quote Post
Ian Bushell
Oct 19 2008, 01:01 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mark. @ Oct 18 2008, 03:15 PM) *
I would play this arpeggio like this

E----------------------------------------3----8----3------------------------------
B-----------------------------5---------------------------5-----------------------
G--------------------5------------------------------------------5-------------------
D-----------5------------------------------------------------------------5-----------
A-3---7------------------------------------------------------------------------7
E----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 4 2 2 2 1 4 1 2 2 2 4

Same notes but much easier for your fingers

This is how i would play it too. There is always more than one choice of playing something on the fretboard.
You just have to decide what's comfortable and what works best for you.
I have a sweep picking lesson full of different shapes applied in the way shown here by Mark.
You can use it to build speed and accuracy as an entire piece or breaking off sections for seperate sweep licks fast or slow.
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...king-arpeggios/
Hope it helps:)

--------------------

+Quote Post
staticstef
Oct 19 2008, 04:13 PM
Hey Ian thanks alot for your link i will be practicing with your lesson smile.gif my accuracy is pretty near perfect jus the speed needs work lol. Thanks again

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 11:27 AM