2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Too Much Delay On Reaper
SpiritCrusher
Aug 2 2014, 07:51 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
I'm using Reaper and Amplitube 3 with ASIO4ALL. Whenever I record it, there is always a little delay (about 0,3 - 0,4 secs). When I play I always get confused because of the delay. My only solution to that is to turn off the speaker, but I don't want that, since I want to hear myself play.

My second problem is that my recorded sound is of very low quality.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
Aug 2 2014, 08:28 PM
GMC:er
Go to options-preference; there you'll see requested sample rate and requested block size. I don't use asio4all but this should work, first make sure request sample rate is at least 44.100 and tick that box so it will always open like that.

For delay(latency), block size can be 256 or 128 and tick that too. This blocksize related to cpu/ram usage. The more programs, vsts open the more crackle you might get so try not to use a lot of vst's when recording so you'll get a usable latency.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Huargo
Aug 2 2014, 10:18 PM
Tone Seeker
what audio interface are you using?
if you plug the guitar in a audio interface use the same Audio interface to listen the pc and the guitar...
don't use the build in speakers of the computer. Use the out from the audio interface, with headphones or speakers....
This save my life smile.gif

This post has been edited by huargo: Aug 2 2014, 10:19 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
SpiritCrusher
Aug 2 2014, 11:09 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
I've changed and checked the sample size to 84100 and my block size to 2048, but it didn't help it alot.

And I've started using my headphones, but there is still delay, which annoys me alot.

Could it have something to do with the lenght of the cable?

+Quote Post
Mertay
Aug 2 2014, 11:27 PM
QUOTE (OsbourneOzzyFan @ Aug 2 2014, 10:09 PM) *
I've changed and checked the sample size to 84100 and my block size to 2048, but it didn't help it alot.

And I've started using my headphones, but there is still delay, which annoys me alot.

Could it have something to do with the lenght of the cable?

But these are not the values I recommended, 44100 and 256 give it a try

--------------------

+Quote Post
SpiritCrusher
Aug 2 2014, 11:38 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Mertay @ Aug 2 2014, 10:27 PM) *
But these are not the values I recommended, 44100 and 256 give it a try

I've tried them, and these values are helping me alot, but there is still a small delay, and when I'm playing 16th notes it can be a problem, because I'm not hearing the actual note that I'm playing. Is there anything I can do?

+Quote Post
Mertay
Aug 2 2014, 11:50 PM
QUOTE (OsbourneOzzyFan @ Aug 2 2014, 10:38 PM) *
I've tried them, and these values are helping me alot, but there is still a small delay, and when I'm playing 16th notes it can be a problem, because I'm not hearing the actual note that I'm playing. Is there anything I can do?

ok, if works now try 88200 and 128. Remember we're testing the capacity of the computer so crackle sounds or even slight freezing is normal, if problem occures let me know we'll adjust again.

edit; Also test 44100 to 32

Some info; CD standard is 44100 so this is the minimum value when recording. We can record or play guitar at higher sample rates like 88200 or 96000 but this isn't a must, at least in the learning period.

Blocksize (ASİO buffer size on dedicated soundcards) will help speeding the response (this is called latency) as you drop value but will increase cpu usage.

Using as less plug-ins as possible while record or playing is the way to go as this helps lessening cpu usage. At the mix or mastering stage then buffer/block size is increased.

This post has been edited by Mertay: Aug 2 2014, 11:53 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
SpiritCrusher
Aug 3 2014, 12:20 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Mertay @ Aug 2 2014, 10:50 PM) *
ok, if works now try 88200 and 128. Remember we're testing the capacity of the computer so crackle sounds or even slight freezing is normal, if problem occures let me know we'll adjust again.

edit; Also test 44100 to 32

Some info; CD standard is 44100 so this is the minimum value when recording. We can record or play guitar at higher sample rates like 88200 or 96000 but this isn't a must, at least in the learning period.

Blocksize (ASİO buffer size on dedicated soundcards) will help speeding the response (this is called latency) as you drop value but will increase cpu usage.

Using as less plug-ins as possible while record or playing is the way to go as this helps lessening cpu usage. At the mix or mastering stage then buffer/block size is increased.

I get no sound at all when I use 88200 and 128.
When using 44100 to 32 I get a very very small delay, which can only be heard when playing 16th triplets, but it could still be better, and very rarely I hear some very small crackles, but they're so small that they can't be noticed.

+Quote Post
Mertay
Aug 3 2014, 12:43 AM
QUOTE (OsbourneOzzyFan @ Aug 2 2014, 11:20 PM) *
I get no sound at all when I use 88200 and 128.
When using 44100 to 32 I get a very very small delay, which can only be heard when playing 16th triplets, but it could still be better, and very rarely I hear some very small crackles, but they're so small that they can't be noticed.

Cool, this means the soundcard can't do 88200 or higher so lets stick to 44100 from now on which is both good enough for playing and recording.

44100 16 seems to be the current limit. The crackles you hear though if you're fine is ok when playing but will be a problem when recording.

What plug-ins are you using and do you have a amp/distortion pedal?

For even lower latency we can use low cpu using plug-ins, or reduce plug-in number by using an amp/distortion pedal between the guitar and computer.

--------------------

+Quote Post
SpiritCrusher
Aug 3 2014, 01:09 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Mertay @ Aug 2 2014, 11:43 PM) *
Cool, this means the soundcard can't do 88200 or higher so lets stick to 44100 from now on which is both good enough for playing and recording.

44100 16 seems to be the current limit. The crackles you hear though if you're fine is ok when playing but will be a problem when recording.

What plug-ins are you using and do you have a amp/distortion pedal?

For even lower latency we can use low cpu using plug-ins, or reduce plug-in number by using an amp/distortion pedal between the guitar and computer.

Well, I'm only using the Amplitube plugin as far as I know. I'm pretty new to this, so sorry if I sound like a complete newbie biggrin.gif

And no, I'm not using any pedals.

+Quote Post
Mertay
Aug 3 2014, 01:36 AM
Thats ok, we're here to learn anyway smile.gif

While amplitube has its strong and weak points, its actually very good to learn building chains of equipment in it. I highly suggest trying to build your own presets instead using the built in ones. I personally don't prefer amplitube but do recommend it for a starting point cause some sense of equipment logic+routing is needed when choosing other software.

After getting to know overall how what sounds, then jump to the freeware world where things are more cpu and shred friendly smile.gif

Freeware stuff are great for low cpu usage and even tone but they aren't "linked" like in amplitube, so you have to open them in an order. These are the freeware sites I personally like;

http://www.soft-amp.com/audio-fx
http://lepouplugins.blogspot.com.tr/
http://www.igniteamps.com/en/audio-plug-ins

You'll notice most amps there doesn't include a cabinet to it. Right after the amp, you'll need to open an ir load (like nadir at igniteamps website) and in that ir loader you'll load a cabinet ir.

There are lots of ir's allover the internet but this forum should cover the popular ones; http://www.guitarampmodeling.com/viewforum.php?f=32

Recently if I remember right instructors Todd and Gabriel made topics on tone creation and using freeware vst, check them out too as there is good info. Every 2-3 weeks a vst amp topic pops up here so make a search and feel free to ask anything needed smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 3 2014, 02:01 AM
Very fine post MERTAY!! smile.gif

The only thing I'd add is that it could be your hardware. What sort of computer are you using to record? If it's a laptop that's a few years old, it may be doing all it can. Also, what sort of recording interface are you using? Or are you plugging directly in to the computer with an adapter to record? If your interface (if your using one) connects via USB 1.1, this can limit the recording bandwidth and cause a tiny bit of lag.

On the other hand, if you are using a Quad core computer with 8 Gig of ram and a USB 2 connected interface, then it's something else entirely smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Mertay @ Aug 2 2014, 08:36 PM) *
Thats ok, we're here to learn anyway smile.gif

While amplitube has its strong and weak points, its actually very good to learn building chains of equipment in it. I highly suggest trying to build your own presets instead using the built in ones. I personally don't prefer amplitube but do recommend it for a starting point cause some sense of equipment logic+routing is needed when choosing other software.

After getting to know overall how what sounds, then jump to the freeware world where things are more cpu and shred friendly smile.gif

Freeware stuff are great for low cpu usage and even tone but they aren't "linked" like in amplitube, so you have to open them in an order. These are the freeware sites I personally like;

http://www.soft-amp.com/audio-fx
http://lepouplugins.blogspot.com.tr/
http://www.igniteamps.com/en/audio-plug-ins

You'll notice most amps there doesn't include a cabinet to it. Right after the amp, you'll need to open an ir load (like nadir at igniteamps website) and in that ir loader you'll load a cabinet ir.

There are lots of ir's allover the internet but this forum should cover the popular ones; http://www.guitarampmodeling.com/viewforum.php?f=32

Recently if I remember right instructors Todd and Gabriel made topics on tone creation and using freeware vst, check them out too as there is good info. Every 2-3 weeks a vst amp topic pops up here so make a search and feel free to ask anything needed smile.gif

+Quote Post
SpiritCrusher
Aug 3 2014, 02:35 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 3 2014, 01:01 AM) *
Very fine post MERTAY!! smile.gif

The only thing I'd add is that it could be your hardware. What sort of computer are you using to record? If it's a laptop that's a few years old, it may be doing all it can. Also, what sort of recording interface are you using? Or are you plugging directly in to the computer with an adapter to record? If your interface (if your using one) connects via USB 1.1, this can limit the recording bandwidth and cause a tiny bit of lag.

On the other hand, if you are using a Quad core computer with 8 Gig of ram and a USB 2 connected interface, then it's something else entirely smile.gif

Todd

I'm only using an adapter, that I put into the microphone hole. It's a decent $1000 ASUS laptop that I bought 5 months ago. Intel duo-core 1,6 GhZ with 8 GB of ram.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 4 2014, 11:15 PM
Good to know! At that point, you are limited by what your on board sound card can do. Probably 44.1 k 16 bit sound. Also, the dual 1.6 is workable for audio, but you can't drop the sample times to the quickest levels typically without experiencing some sort of issue. However, certain laptops of the same spec see to have less trouble and there are slight variances per vendor.

You will need to find the magic minimum sample rate and samples setting that your laptop can handle before you hear audio artifacts. Quick tips.

1.)Disable Virus scan
2.)Turn EVERY other program OFF while recording INCLUDING WEB BROWSERS smile.gif
3.)Turner "energy saver" OFF in the control panel.

Make sure those changes are in place then keep pushing down the samples number to find the lowest point. If you find you can't get it quick enough to not have some latency at 16th/32nd notes, you may be looking at a computer upgrade. Your best bet is a quad core system of any spec. The prices have come down and you will be in good shape for some time to come. The high end now is 12 core systems but thats a bit overkill.

Todd

QUOTE (OsbourneOzzyFan @ Aug 2 2014, 09:35 PM) *
I'm only using an adapter, that I put into the microphone hole. It's a decent $1000 ASUS laptop that I bought 5 months ago. Intel duo-core 1,6 GhZ with 8 GB of ram.

+Quote Post
Mertay
Aug 4 2014, 11:29 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 4 2014, 10:15 PM) *
Good to know! At that point, you are limited by what your on board sound card can do. Probably 44.1 k 16 bit sound. Also, the dual 1.6 is workable for audio, but you can't drop the sample times to the quickest levels typically without experiencing some sort of issue. However, certain laptops of the same spec see to have less trouble and there are slight variances per vendor.

You will need to find the magic minimum sample rate and samples setting that your laptop can handle before you hear audio artifacts. Quick tips.

1.)Disable Virus scan
2.)Turn EVERY other program OFF while recording INCLUDING WEB BROWSERS smile.gif
3.)Turner "energy saver" OFF in the control panel.

Make sure those changes are in place then keep pushing down the samples number to find the lowest point. If you find you can't get it quick enough to not have some latency at 16th/32nd notes, you may be looking at a computer upgrade. Your best bet is a quad core system of any spec. The prices have come down and you will be in good shape for some time to come. The high end now is 12 core systems but thats a bit overkill.

Todd

Ah good points smile.gif my pc is now around 5 years old, to add; when recording both guitar and webcam (audio+visual, for youtube stuff) I disconnect the internet right before a fresh restart so needless programs won't occupy ram/cpu smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Aug 4 2014, 11:39 PM
How many processes are running in the background overall? ctrl+alt+delete , task manager (winxp,vista,7, not sure on 8)

You may have a lot of stuff running in the background that you don't need. Try closing some stuff down, the worst that can happen is you have to reboot the pc.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 5 2014, 05:22 AM
More good suggestions from MERTAY and MOONKEY!!

MAN!!! MOONKEY i was looking your guitar list in your signature and getting a bit jealous. You have a serious Ibby collection dude!!! Two modern, two vintage, nice balance. You've got more Ibby's than I do and I'm a bit of an Ibby nut smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (SpaseMoonkey @ Aug 4 2014, 06:39 PM) *
How many processes are running in the background overall? ctrl+alt+delete , task manager (winxp,vista,7, not sure on 8)

You may have a lot of stuff running in the background that you don't need. Try closing some stuff down, the worst that can happen is you have to reboot the pc.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Aug 5 2014, 05:23 AM

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Aug 5 2014, 06:42 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 5 2014, 12:22 AM) *
More good suggestions from MERTAY and MOONKEY!!

MAN!!! MOONKEY i was looking your guitar list in your signature and getting a bit jealous. You have a serious Ibby collection dude!!! Two modern, two vintage, nice balance. You've got more Ibby's than I do and I'm a bit of an Ibby nut smile.gif

Todd

Yeah I got a bit carried away one month! laugh.gif I may look into changing some pickups, the RGs sound great but i know they can sound better.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 6 2014, 10:55 AM
The old V1 and V2 pickups from the MIJ guitars are sorta of Cult Classics, but the INF pickups are sorta making me squirm in my RGT. sad.gif

QUOTE (SpaseMoonkey @ Aug 5 2014, 01:42 AM) *
Yeah I got a bit carried away one month! laugh.gif I may look into changing some pickups, the RGs sound great but i know they can sound better.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Aug 6 2014, 10:55 AM

+Quote Post
SpiritCrusher
Aug 6 2014, 04:23 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
I have set the block size to "2", and I hear no crackles nor anything, and the latency is so little that it doesn't have to be improved.
But I have another problem. No matter what my block size is, I always hear a little noise. It's mostly when I'm using a lot of gain, but it's always there even when I use a clean amp.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 10:13 PM