4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
The (hopefully Not To Embarrassing) Refurbish Thread
Sensible Jones
Apr 19 2014, 07:54 PM
GMC:er
Looking good!!
All these things are learning curves! You should see my first attempts at building, they were nowhere near as good as the results you've achieved here!!
The wiring shouldn't give you any problems, that's about as basic a set-up as you could have!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Spock
Apr 19 2014, 08:07 PM
Thanx S.J.!

You are right, all this has been a wonderful learning experience. I am ready to spend all my obsessive time actually playing again. I think I've played a total of 4 hours in the last 2 weeks because of this.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Apr 20 2014, 06:17 PM
QUOTE (Spock @ Apr 19 2014, 07:07 PM) *
Thanx S.J.!

You are right, all this has been a wonderful learning experience. I am ready to spend all my obsessive time actually playing again. I think I've played a total of 4 hours in the last 2 weeks because of this.

Hehehehe!! I know that feeling only too well!!!
biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Spock
Apr 20 2014, 08:30 PM
The bridge was delivered yesterday and it didn't fit there recessed cavity, so I had to use my dremel tool as a router and make it bigger, then paint that area again - also had to make a thin gasket out of a piece of veneer to go between the body of the guitar and the neck plate on the back, this was to compensate for the lose of the veneer when it was stripped.

I don't have the wiring hooked up, and I'm not sure if the intonation is correct or not yet, but it is in tune, great action - just has a little buzz on the G string - so now going through You-Tube looking for videos on how to set intonation and fix fret buzz on a single locking tremolo.

I put my PRS HFS Treble pickup in it to replace the crap that came with it.

Attached Image

This post has been edited by Spock: Apr 20 2014, 08:34 PM

+Quote Post
Spock
Apr 21 2014, 10:08 AM
Attached Image

Better pic. Volume knob not on cause still don't have electronics hooked up

+Quote Post
bleez
Apr 21 2014, 10:12 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
man, it looks so cool smile.gif what an awesome job you've done on this. excellent choice on the veneer, its really eye catching.

This post has been edited by bleez: Apr 21 2014, 10:13 AM

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Spock
Apr 21 2014, 11:43 AM
Thanks Bleeze.

Truth be known I've coveted Ben's single humbucker Jackson since the first day I saw it, so I drew inspiration from that, knowing I couldn't afford the real thing - but always loved the natural wood grains that aren't duplicated so often - like a quilted or flamed maple - though I still love those looks.

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 21 2014, 04:16 PM
Nice job man! From the pictures it looks really good.

+Quote Post
Blister
Apr 22 2014, 04:55 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Wow! She's looking great! I can see it in her, she's just begging to be played! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Spock
Apr 22 2014, 08:28 AM
Thanks I'm anxious to hear it too. I was able to work out the buzz on the G string. Just figured out how to set the floating bridge and lower and higher the action at the same time.

I'm having the guy that's working on my other Jackson to do the wiring and adjust intonation. I just got black Schaller strap locks for it and some black Jackson reverse head tuning keys too. I really like the black headstock so I think I'm going to leave it as it is - but that should finish out the hardware change.

This post has been edited by Spock: Apr 22 2014, 08:29 AM

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Apr 22 2014, 12:44 PM
Learning Rock Star
Awesome project and it was fun following here! The guitar looks great!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Apr 22 2014, 02:31 PM
It's looking good all polished out!! Great job mate!!
Like I said all through this project, for a first attempt you've done a spectacular job!!
Congrats again and I look forward to hearing it! You may be surprised how different it sounds by having the Neck P/up cavity filled!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Spock
Apr 22 2014, 03:38 PM
If it makes a sound at all I'll be thrilled!

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Apr 22 2014, 05:54 PM
QUOTE (Spock @ Apr 22 2014, 02:38 PM) *
If it makes a sound at all I'll be thrilled!

That shouldn't be a problem!!
biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Apr 22 2014, 06:08 PM
I like it smile.gif it also has a vibe as aging would really make it cooler in time, its a keeper smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Spock
Apr 24 2014, 11:59 AM
Thank you guys for all the very gracious feedback. It was this thread and knowing people were watching which helped make this process be completed and more fun!

I put the new black nut and black tuning knobs on it last night. All that is left is the soldering of the wire to the volume and pickup jack - which I'll let someone else do. Also waiting on black Schaller strap locks in the mail.

I'll post a final picture once all that is done showing all black hardware and everything hooked up.

BTW - the back plate won't go on it, because the tremolo bracket that screws into the guitar stick out just a hair above the back of the guitar - this is from losing that veneer I'm sure. and the plate that goes over the volume knob cavity over hangs the edge by a hair too - I can use the dremel tool on that however.

My next project is going to be a Dean Edge bass that someone gave me a few years ago. I just want to make it natural and I'm hoping the wood is a light color. I'll know on this bass not to go after the current finish like a madman with the heat gun and take more care to preserve the wood underneath.

This post has been edited by Spock: Apr 24 2014, 12:02 PM

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Apr 24 2014, 01:33 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Spock @ Apr 24 2014, 11:59 AM) *
My next project is going to be a Dean Edge bass that someone gave me a few years ago. I just want to make it natural and I'm hoping the wood is a light color. I'll know on this bass not to go after the current finish like a madman with the heat gun and take more care to preserve the wood underneath.

IMO , get a high grade paint stripper( you will need a respirator and good acid resistant gloves )this will produce less damage and strip it ia about half an hour,There is a learning curve to using stripper well ( no pun intended),but not much,especially if you ever want to use the natural wood of the guitar

+Quote Post
Spock
Apr 24 2014, 01:41 PM
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Apr 24 2014, 08:33 AM) *
IMO , get a high grade paint stripper( you will need a respirator and good acid resistant gloves )this will produce less damage and strip it ia about half an hour,There is a learning curve to using stripper well ( no pun intended),but not much,especially if you ever want to use the natural wood of the guitar

Good idea, I have used stripper before while refinishing a dining room table - that was a loooooong time ago. What I remember most about it is how bad it burned when it got on my bare skin.

I inspected the bass this morning and you can see the wood grain under the poly. It is a red stain - covered with poly but the top is quilted maple and the back is beautiful.

Just like this - but this is not my bass...

Attached Image

I'll start researching a little because I have heard that striper won't work on some poly coatings on guitars now days - but if I can go that route I will most definitely.

This post has been edited by Spock: Apr 24 2014, 01:42 PM

+Quote Post
Spock
Apr 25 2014, 11:19 PM
CATASTROPHIC FAILURE ALERT!!!

I would say "utter humiliation" but I would rather chalk it up to excruciating amateur hard lesson learned.

And, I had fun in the process.

On the way home from work I got a call from the luthier I took the guitar to for wiring.

Well..

Remember this picture...

If you notice just to the right of the neck pocket on the body, located on the neck you will see a finish line, and I'm not sure if I mentioned it on this thread, but I know I did at home, that I did not remember taking that much wood off the guitar to leave that sort of impression on the finish on the neck.

So - that neck is not the original neck for that guitar - which explains everything.

Oh, but wait!!! It gets worse!

When I first got the guitar, the B and E strings were tight against the fretboard and would not play - I figured it was just the tremolo and needed to be set up.

Turns out - the neck is bowed back, and the truss rod is all the way out already - there is no fixing it.

Now, I did get this guitar just to practice quietly on - so that is what it's for now. Not going to bother with a new Warmoth neck for it or wiring. As of now it is in tune, but not intonated - so, any hopes of really getting the best out of this guitar are gone.

I could say I was screwed over by Guitar Center - but I was the fool that took the guitar apart before having it checked out - used - and I had 30 days to make up my mind about it.

So - we win some, we lose some.

I wondered if I would have rather spent that $350 at a strip club, which would have beaten throwing it out the car window, but no, I have exactly what I purchased that guitar for - the frets - and the experience of refinishing and learning.

I'm okay with that.

wink.gif

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Apr 25 2014, 11:55 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Spock @ Apr 25 2014, 11:19 PM) *
CATASTROPHIC FAILURE ALERT!!!

And, I had fun in the process.

On the way home from work I got a call from the luthier I took the guitar to for wiring.

wink.gif

Warmoth might have a neck for it

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 08:39 PM