Modern Composers, Works of the great composers
Ramiro Delforte
Feb 7 2009, 01:55 AM
Instructor
In this topic I want to share some music that sometimes is not well known.
As you may know the XX century made a big change in the aesthetics of the classical music. You can notice that even in the late romanticism with the birth of the nationalisms and the impressionism living together and later joined by the second vienna school (Schoenberg, Webern, Berg).

I'm going to leave some links to works of the great composers of the second half of the XX century, and if you like this post I'll consider to talk about the specific composers and maybe some of the composers of the first half of the XX c.

I make this post as a starter into this music. I know that for some of you that are not used to the dissonances and could be harsh to listen.

Luciano Berio (Italy)

Here is the Secuenza for Guitar, he wrote 14 secuenzas for different instruments. I post here the guitar secuenza but there are some amazing pieces like the one for oboe.

Gyorgy Ligeti (Rumania)

He's one of my favourite composers. He works with mass structures and you may have listened to some of his works if you watched the 2001: Space Odyssey.

This is one of the piano etudes that he wrote. This etudes are very complex to play and as you may notice they have some time signatures that resemblance the progressive music.

Lux aeterna is a work for a choir and he uses a cannon technique (although the cannon is not hearable).

Karlheinz Stockhausen (Germany)

He's one of the most controvesial composers, he's got a perspective on the whole music world that is very huge. One of the massive works he composed is an opera that took him 25 years and it's called Licht. It's lenght is almost 25 hours.

I leave here the video that I've found of Hymnen a piece made of a variety of national anthems.

One of his Klavierstuckes that has got the score in the video so you'll see how is written.

Iannis Xenakis (Grece)

He's the most radical composer, he has dedicated a great part of his work to the relation between the stockastics and the music.

Here I leave Metastasis, a work for 60 instruments.

And Rebonds a work for percussion, I really like this one smile.gif

Pierre Boulez (France)

He was, like Stockhausen too, a pupil of Oliver Messiaen. One of the great composers of the serialism and also he became an amazing orchestra director. Also he conducted the famous IRCAM in France for many years.
I'll leave you with his notations for orchestra.

Steve Reich (USA)

I include Steve Reich although his aethetics is radical different from the other composers that I've inlcuded but with this I think you'd feel more close to his music. His a minimalist composer, for my taste, the best and the most cleaver one.

Here is Pat Metheny playing the third movement of the work named Electric Counterpoint.

And this also is one of his most know works "Music for 18 musicians"

I hope this post will encourage to research and if you liked it let me know so I make a more detailed post about more unkown composers.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th May 2024 - 10:06 AM