Amp Doesn't Work, Just a buzz
GregA
Nov 26 2008, 06:16 PM
GMC:er
The situation: guitar is plugged trough G1 effects into amplifiers input. There is also an iPod plugged into aux in and headphones where they belong. I was playing with some background sounds and it was working well, then I paused iPod and played without it for a while. It went into 'sleep' mode and when I turned it on again amp produced a long buzz and stopped working. I checked the fuse, it had blown. I changed it, unplugged everything from amplifier and turned it on. Again, only buzz and the indicator light, that lights when amp is turned on was flashing, like it has very little power. So I turned it off. So if anyone knows what could cause the problem and if it is possible for me to fix it (I know something about those electronics smile.gif , and I have a friend who could help if he knew what to fix), cause I will need it soon and if I take it to the store for repairs it would probably be there for some time... Any help would be greatly appreciated. BTW, the amp is Fenders frontman 15R.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 5)
fkalich
Nov 26 2008, 06:31 PM
look at this recent thread, and the referenced site. that should help you. a lot of info on that site. in the thread I describe how I diagnosed my problems successfully, but you should go to the site.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=21817

edit: I assumed you had a tube amp. this won't help you if you have a solid state amp.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by fkalich: Nov 26 2008, 06:32 PM

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 27 2008, 01:17 AM
Instructor
hmm, this is strange. There are two possible things that happened:

1. When the POD came from standby it send some kind of a signal that made the issue.
2. When the POD came from standby, some electrical interference from the main grid made the issue.

Either way, I would suggest taking it to guitar tech mate.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Zephyr
Nov 27 2008, 01:31 AM
You could have burned up a resistor in your amp, did that myself a little while ago. Before you take it in to a tech, open it up and check to see if anything is visibly burned. If it's just a burned resistor, you can change it yourself and save a lot of money (this is the kind of thing that techs tend to massively overcharge for, a 30¢ resistor and 5 minutes of soldering is not worth $40 in my opinion). Make sure you don't damage anything opening it up, and make sure you can put it back together correctly.

+Quote Post
GregA
Dec 8 2008, 10:56 PM
Thanks for advices, I checked it out yesterday (meanwhile using firends amp) and I still have no idea what could be wrong (no burned resistors). I decided to take it to a guitar tech and se if it is even worth repairing it. I also decided that I am oging to buy a new amp :) . I would appreciate your suggestions on what to buy since I don't know much abou

Thanks for advices, I checked it out yesterday (meanwhile using firends amp) and I still have no idea what could be wrong (no burned resistors). I decided to take it to a guitar tech and se if it is even worth repairing it. I also decided that I am oging to buy a new amp smile.gif . I would appreciate your suggestions on what to buy since I don't know much about this and would need some advice.

Amp should be:
-loud enough for practising with a band (around 50, 60W probably)
-solid state
-price of 500$ max.
-for rock music

And I will check out some stores and test some amps, so what are the best settings for testing them, to really see the difference between them and se + and - for each?

I think that's it for now smile.gif .

LP

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 8 2008, 11:26 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (GregA @ Dec 8 2008, 10:56 PM) *
I also decided that I am oging to buy a new amp smile.gif . I would appreciate your suggestions on what to buy since I don't know much about this and would need some advice.

Amp should be:
-loud enough for practising with a band (around 50, 60W probably)
-solid state
-price of 500$ max.
-for rock music

I can recommend AVT50 Marshall for you mate, check out my review of it here.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:43 PM