Website's Mining Cryptocurrencies
Mertay
Mar 12 2018, 10:49 AM
GMC:er
Just read a report that a site I often use (gearslutz) was reported to be mining from its users (uses your cpu). So apparently websites can do this without asking you...

You'll notice by checking your cpu while surfing. I use a browser called opera and it has such protection but Mozilla and chrome still seems to be vulnerable.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Mertay: Mar 12 2018, 02:03 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Mar 13 2018, 01:08 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Do you know if it was actually gearslutz, or a third-party ad network they were using? They're often the cause of drive-by malware too.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Mar 13 2018, 01:12 PM
Experienced Rock Star
QUOTE (yoncopin @ Mar 13 2018, 12:08 PM) *
Do you know if it was actually gearslutz, or a third-party ad network they were using? They're often the cause of drive-by malware too.

It was a third party, according to the administrators, and I'd tend to believe them.

There has been talk of openly mining on web sites as an alternative to advertising, but AFAIK the only instances that have appeared so far have been done surreptitiously.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 13 2018, 06:07 PM
it's a clever way to generate revenue that's for sure. i'm surprised it's not more wide spread? a site could just hijack your cpu as a sort of "fee for service" while you are using their site. I'll be Dimes to Diamonds we are going to see this sort of thing as a standard revenue model for non pay wall web sites. But time will tell smile.gif

The "coin" thing is really blowing itself in to a huge bubble these days. It's not beyond anyone to make a ICA initial coin offering and now we have thousands of coins from DEEP ONION COIN to JESUS COIN. Money is flooding in. If anyone puts money in to any coin system, just make sure you can get it back out smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Rammikin @ Mar 13 2018, 08:12 AM) *
It was a third party, according to the administrators, and I'd tend to believe them.

There has been talk of openly mining on web sites as an alternative to advertising, but AFAIK the only instances that have appeared so far have been done surreptitiously.

+Quote Post
Arpeggio
Mar 25 2018, 07:47 PM
Bitcoin is mad. If you bought $100 in 2010 and sold at the peak you'd have $1.7 million. Wish I had bought some.

Long Gold, Silver and Platinum here. Sold all my shares in Oct 2016. Russia and China are buying loads of Gold. If you thought the last crash was bad that was a speed bump to the main event. More global debt now than before 2008, way more.

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 13 2018, 06:07 PM) *
The "coin" thing is really blowing itself in to a huge bubble these days. It's not beyond anyone to make a ICA initial coin offering and now we have thousands of coins from DEEP ONION COIN to JESUS COIN. Money is flooding in. If anyone puts money in to any coin system, just make sure you can get it back out smile.gif

Todd

BEHOLD...Jesus Saves!.....with JESUS COIN

here's a few ideas....JEDI COIN, the PATRIOT COIN, JUSTIN BEIBER COIN.

--------------------
Founder of new startup social network site that brings the good aspects of MySpace, Twitter and FaceBook together.

MyTwitFace.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 26 2018, 04:20 AM
The next crash is gonna be a doozy smile.gif We have been in a Bull Market so long that folks have forgotten what a bear market looks like smile.gif The past few days have seen some pretty bit downward plunges just from the TARIFF talk. It will be a great time to make money on short calls!

The crypto coin market is still inflating and sometimes contracting. But yeah, no matter what, just make sure you can get the money back out!

Todd

QUOTE (Arpeggio @ Mar 25 2018, 02:47 PM) *
Bitcoin is mad. If you bought $100 in 2010 and sold at the peak you'd have $1.7 million. Wish I had bought some.

Long Gold, Silver and Platinum here. Sold all my shares in Oct 2016. Russia and China are buying loads of Gold. If you thought the last crash was bad that was a speed bump to the main event. More global debt now than before 2008, way more.

BEHOLD...Jesus Saves!.....with JESUS COIN

here's a few ideas....JEDI COIN, the PATRIOT COIN, JUSTIN BEIBER COIN.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 11:11 PM