Whats This Style Called?
Mertay
Apr 8 2018, 06:07 PM
GMC:er
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wtd4riW6cM8...eature=youtu.be

Right at the beginning of the video, first 2 minutes.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Mertay: Apr 8 2018, 06:10 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Apr 8 2018, 06:24 PM
The first 2min kinda sound a mix of psychedelic/rock with Ambient. If that's what you meant by style.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Mertay
Apr 8 2018, 08:03 PM
QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Apr 8 2018, 05:24 PM) *
The first 2min kinda sound a mix of psychedelic/rock with Ambient. If that's what you meant by style.

I was thinking the word Genre but felt its might have a more detailed definition? Aside the fx (which to me are overused) I felt it was western related?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Apr 8 2018, 08:17 PM
Learning Tone Master
Sounds a little psychedelic but at the base it's an indian classical style. This guy made a cover after the Beatles song "Within You Without You".

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 8 2018, 08:41 PM
As Monica mentions, he's covering a Beatles song (Within You, Without You) that used traditional Indian Musicians and instruments. This doesn't really fall into a specific 'Indian' regional style or approach as it's really more western in the harmony/melody/rhythmic phrasing.

If you want to tie it to something Indian, check into this. It's blended with some western instruments (guitar w/scalloped fretboard) as well as chord voicings but the music in general comes from South Indian 'Carnatic' music ...

This post has been edited by klasaine: Apr 8 2018, 08:43 PM

+Quote Post
Mertay
Apr 8 2018, 09:22 PM
Interesting!

Guys one more question, and what is a good keyword for the western side of that groove? it reminded me of Bon jovi's "wanted dead or alive" intro if that makes sense smile.gif

I tried to search a few keywords like Nashville, country, slide guitar...and a mix of these but couldn't find much similar groove.

This post has been edited by Mertay: Apr 8 2018, 09:23 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 8 2018, 09:46 PM
Maybe try 'swampy southern rock' or 'swamp rock'.
Or 'Juke Joint Blues'
Maybe 'New Orleans funk' - ?

Because it's got the tabla and drone samples (in your posted video) it doesn't really fall into a neat category.
There's a ton of Indian rock and roll though. Check this out. I love this record ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBj4YogMSmk

This post has been edited by klasaine: Apr 8 2018, 09:47 PM

+Quote Post
George Hlio
Apr 8 2018, 10:02 PM
Experienced Rock Star
All the things you guys said preety much cover everything! My contribution would be a suggestion...If you enjoy listening to metal, a combination of quite what you are listening to in this video and metal is drone metal. Check for example Godspeed you! black emperor...The have no indian like parts but the ambient drone feeling is vast!
That being said, I am not that much into this style anymore...

+Quote Post
Mertay
Apr 8 2018, 10:49 PM
Thanks everyone! you guys gave me a lot to listen smile.gif

PS; During my searches I came across a guitar player named justin johnson a few times, seems like a very active youtuber.

This post has been edited by Mertay: Apr 8 2018, 10:53 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 02:33 PM