Instrumental Work In Progress, Please critique
Taka Perry
Dec 1 2013, 06:12 AM
Learning Rock Star
Hi guys,

I'm working on this instrumental rock tune. If you guys can give it any critique, it would be great! It's still a work in progress, and I'm not sure what to add after it :\ Any sort of suggestions would be appreciated smile.gif

Attached File  Reality__In_Progress_.mp3 ( 5.86MB ) Number of downloads: 215

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 10)
Doug Lane
Dec 1 2013, 06:25 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Taka Perry @ Dec 1 2013, 05:12 AM) *
Hi guys,

I'm working on this instrumental rock tune. If you guys can give it any critique, it would be great! It's still a work in progress, and I'm not sure what to add after it :\ Any sort of suggestions would be appreciated smile.gif

Attached File  Reality__In_Progress_.mp3 ( 5.86MB ) Number of downloads: 215

The more I listen to your work, the more I dig it. the harmonic movement and structure of your tune is sounding really good, and the drums are killer. I cast a vote for you in the momentum festival a couple days ago, good luck with it dude!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Dec 1 2013, 07:06 AM
Hey Taka Perry, sounding pretty good, nice mix.

Just the middle bit quite high pitch drawn out sound I didn't like too much of, it actually does my ears in when coming from my audiophonic soundcard. It's probably just me and not as bad for others. Apart from that, I quite enjoyed it. Got a bit of atmosphere to it.

That's not you on the album cover is it? Spike up the hair and it looks like a slightly younger version of one of my friends. It's uncanny the likeness.

+Quote Post
Taka Perry
Dec 1 2013, 07:16 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Azzaboi @ Dec 1 2013, 05:06 PM) *
Hey Taka Perry, sounding pretty good, nice mix.

Just the middle bit quite high pitch drawn out sound I didn't like too much of, it actually does my ears in when coming from my audiophonic soundcard. It's probably just me and not as bad for others. Apart from that, I quite enjoyed it. Got a bit of atmosphere to it.

That's not you on the album cover is it? Spike up the hair and it looks like a slightly younger version of one of my friends. It's uncanny the likeness.

Yes, that high pitch guitar came out a bit louder than I expected, so I turned it down on my DAW smile.gif

That is me on the album cover, it somehow ended up as the default image for exports from Studio One, it's just an old photo from a while back. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Doug Lane @ Dec 1 2013, 04:25 PM) *
The more I listen to your work, the more I dig it. the harmonic movement and structure of your tune is sounding really good, and the drums are killer. I cast a vote for you in the momentum festival a couple days ago, good luck with it dude!

Thanks man! I can't wait for the song to be complete smile.gif

This post has been edited by Taka Perry: Dec 1 2013, 09:50 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Dec 1 2013, 11:08 AM
Instructor
Very melodic and interesting - good chill out music.

The 'high pitch' guitar part also sounds a bit flat.. on the second note. You could either re-record it or use the pitch shift edit function and raise it by a few micro tones.

As for where to go from there, I can't say - it's your tune.. but I would probably use the last chord progression (after the choral synth has ended) for a solo. You could build up from a relaxed melodic solo to a more fuller backing, with distorted guitars providing a nice bed to reach a climax in the solo.

+Quote Post
Taka Perry
Dec 2 2013, 08:55 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Dec 1 2013, 09:08 PM) *
Very melodic and interesting - good chill out music.

The 'high pitch' guitar part also sounds a bit flat.. on the second note. You could either re-record it or use the pitch shift edit function and raise it by a few micro tones.

As for where to go from there, I can't say - it's your tune.. but I would probably use the last chord progression (after the choral synth has ended) for a solo. You could build up from a relaxed melodic solo to a more fuller backing, with distorted guitars providing a nice bed to reach a climax in the solo.

Thanks Ben, it's funny, I'm writing this song as I record it, which I guess had both it's pros and cons. I'll probably end up re-recording all the guitars anyway, as it's in a demo stage at the moment smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Dec 2 2013, 01:15 PM
Instructor
Well mate ...Your stuff is getting better and better smile.gif Congratulations! Nice to be a witness of Your musical evolution smile.gif

+Quote Post
Mertay
Dec 2 2013, 02:09 PM
I liked it even with the demo sound smile.gif to be honest I thought of turning it into a song but just adding a vocal, the material in it is very usable for such approach and whats already there can be replicated in it (with minor changes) to find the right duration and song form.

--------------------

+Quote Post
coffeeman
Dec 2 2013, 05:33 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I really liked it, but are your sure to make instrumental? That song is begging for some vocals!

--------------------
The only thing yo can do, is what you love!

Visit my youtube

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 2 2013, 10:49 PM
Instructor
Hey Taka!! Nice to hear from you. I think that your track is really cool! I like the style, it's very connected with my band's style. As Coffeeman said, this one is calling for vocals! smile.gif If this is not the idea, I think that you should search for some extra melodies that work as the lead for this one. There is a main voice lacking that can be an human voice, guitar or any other instrument. Besides this, the intro melody and the clean arpeggios sound really fresh. Well done!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Taka Perry
Dec 5 2013, 11:25 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Dec 3 2013, 08:49 AM) *
Hey Taka!! Nice to hear from you. I think that your track is really cool! I like the style, it's very connected with my band's style. As Coffeeman said, this one is calling for vocals! smile.gif If this is not the idea, I think that you should search for some extra melodies that work as the lead for this one. There is a main voice lacking that can be an human voice, guitar or any other instrument. Besides this, the intro melody and the clean arpeggios sound really fresh. Well done!

I like to keep it instrumental, but I might take the suggestion Coffeeman and you made and experiment with melodies. I'll let you know what I come up with smile.gif I think the fact that I bought EZDrummer has added a new level of realism in my mixes that were not there before biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 08:48 PM