Apr 7 2009, 09:55 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Apr 7 2009, 06:54 AM) *
You;re not bugging me at all Monte, don't worry about! smile.gif

However I've been having some problems to hear whole progression
in this tune, I guess you recorded using mic on your cam,
sound of your guitar was too loud compared with BT,
it covered it almost entirely.
Could you re-record it with better mix this time?
I would also need backing track (MP3 please, not Wave)
to do the same as I did with previous tune. smile.gif

Btw, nice melodies once more, specially tapped harmonics, very sweet and bright theme! smile.gif

Thanks Muris,
I'll get crackin on this one and see if I can't re-record it.
Here is the backing and again...sorry for the crappy midi file. smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  breaking_dawn.mp3 ( 3.88MB ) Number of downloads: 6

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Apr 8 2009, 12:30 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (lcsdds @ Apr 7 2009, 10:55 AM) *
Thanks Muris,
I'll get crackin on this one and see if I can't re-record it.
Here is the backing and again...sorry for the crappy midi file. smile.gif

Thanks Monte.
However I'll wait for your new take, listen closely to what's going on
in there and then I'll do my take, is that ok? smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Apr 8 2009, 02:38 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Apr 8 2009, 12:30 PM) *
Thanks Monte.
However I'll wait for your new take, listen closely to what's going on
in there and then I'll do my take, is that ok? smile.gif

Yeah...I've made some small changes to it since then...just added a few fills and different runs. I'lll get you a new take as soon as I'm able. Thanks Muris. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Apr 8 2009, 03:07 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (lcsdds @ Apr 8 2009, 03:38 PM) *
Yeah...I've made some small changes to it since then...just added a few fills and different runs. I'lll get you a new take as soon as I'm able. Thanks Muris. smile.gif

You're very welcome, looking forward to it. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Apr 13 2009, 05:13 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hi Muris,
Just wanted to update you where I am at.

AP etude: Still working on it. Still don't have the very last section memorized....the sycopated part. I have had a tough time with this piece so I have had to spend a lot of time just trying to get used to using AP on the arpeggios. I'm getting there though. I really like this and it is helping....this will be one I will be working on into the forseeable future. tongue.gif Long term goals right.

My tunes: I'm relearning these and I'm reworking both of them a little bit.

Hopefully in a week or so I will be back up and running and can start posting some videos again. They still haven't even looked at my Mac yet. mad.gif

Last night I put together my last project guitar and was playing it for a little while and I was actually playing some AP licks and they sounded pretty good. This is HUGE for me. I NEVER use AP when I am just jamming. So this shows me that I am making progress with it. Hopefully I can start using it in my collabs and my own music.

My focus has shifted in the last month to trying to write my own stuff. It is coming along nicely and I am having fun.

Thanks for all your help Muris. I'll get some vids posted as soon as I can. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Apr 13 2009, 06:58 PM
Instructor
It's GREAT to hear that you feel progress
cause I can see it too Monte!!

Take your time, looking forward to new clips and mp3s. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Apr 20 2009, 04:24 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Muris.....Can I just give you an upload of what I have so far with the AP etude to a drum beat rather than the backing? I am thinking just a half speed version so you can see my technique. This lesson is a BEAST. I have had to really break it down into small chunks and isolate the different parts.......it is basically like 8 or 9 AP excercises. I still have to learn the last part with all the rests in it......I'll learn that in the morning.

Sorry about my lack of activity in the last few weeks. I have had some personal issues I have had to deal with....and you know about my computer issues. Good news is that my computer is up and running. I'm gonna start learning to use either Logic 8 or Sonar in the next few weeks. I have relearned the Breaking Dawn tune and will record a real take of that this week so you can actually hear the backing and then you could give me your take when you get a chance.

Hopefully I can get back on track here shortly. I have still been working on my AP A LOT.....it has improved a TON. I am actually starting to think about where to use it when I am doing collabs and trying to write my own stuff now. I wanted to try and use it in Emir's Satch collab but the tempo was 180 bpm......I can barely tap that fast. laugh.gif

I'll get you an AP etude take at about 80 bpm or so so you can check my technique.....this is gonna be a tough nut to crack at full speed but I'll keep at it until I get there. Thanks Muris.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Apr 20 2009, 12:55 PM
Instructor
Of course Monte, post what you've got, it doesn't have to be whole lesson atm,
do it with drum beat or backing , as you please!! smile.gif

And as for using AP in your playing,
you'll notice one thing in a while that happens with
everything we practice actually, legato, tapping, picking etc,
once you really get comfortable with it
you'll start throwing it in without any thinking, normal thing. wink.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Apr 30 2009, 03:30 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hi Muris,
I've already explained to you my lack of posts this month so no need to go into it again. smile.gif I FINALLY have your whole AP etude memorized.....this was probably the hardest lesson I've done. One of the reasons for that is that I am determined to beat my AP demons....I don't care how long it takes. tongue.gif For this reason I have been really disciplined to play this lesson using ONLY AP, whereas in the past if I couldn't play one of your lessons using AP I would tap or play it legato. I've posted plenty of videos demonstrating this. tongue.gif laugh.gif I'm gonna take the next few days to start practicing playing the whole etude from start to finish.....I broke it up into about 8 mini passages and even broke that up into a couple picking excercises to try and make some progress on this. On Sunday I am going to play this to a drum machine at whatever I can play it at cleanly....maybe 80 or 90 bpm....and then post a vid of it. Then you can tell me to get back to work. tongue.gif laugh.gif I FINALLY got my recording issues sorted out for the most part. Andy (wrk) has been kind enough to put up with me bothering him to help me with logic 8. I will be bothering David Walliman and Berko to I am sure. tongue.gif laugh.gif I also got a new video camera so I can make some better quality videos for you to see.

I just wanted to let you know that I am still around and working hard on my AP.....I'm gonna post some vids of me playing some different diatonic patterns that are more "shred friendly" so you can see that I am really making some good progress. smile.gif Your AP etude is going to be a long term project I think....but I am noticing that after playing it consistently that it makes alot of the other AP stuff I am working on a lot easier. Thanks a lot for helping me with my AP and everything else. I shall post on Sunday.....I promise. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Apr 30 2009, 07:33 AM
Instructor
Hey Monte!!

What can I say, best way is to split lesson or a solo
into small pieces and work on them independently,
then take some single licks and use them
as individual exercises, sometimes even for warm-up, good job!
You don't have to rush on AP etude tho,
there is plenty more stuff that you can record and most in a meanwhile,
AP is something that would never be 100% in shape
so we all have to work on it endlessly. wink.gif
Glad to hear about Logic, now I can expect your second tune as we agreed? smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Apr 30 2009, 10:48 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Apr 30 2009, 07:33 AM) *
Hey Monte!!

What can I say, best way is to split lesson or a solo
into small pieces and work on them independently,
then take some single licks and use them
as individual exercises, sometimes even for warm-up, good job!
You don't have to rush on AP etude tho,
there is plenty more stuff that you can record and most in a meanwhile,
AP is something that would never be 100% in shape
so we all have to work on it endlessly. wink.gif
Glad to hear about Logic, now I can expect your second tune as we agreed? smile.gif

Yes Muris....I'll get what I have written so far on my second tune as well so you can do your take over my backing. Thanks. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Apr 30 2009, 04:53 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (lcsdds @ Apr 30 2009, 11:48 AM) *
Yes Muris....I'll get what I have written so far on my second tune as well so you can do your take over my backing. Thanks. smile.gif

Sounds cool Monte, keep me updated! smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
lcsdds
May 2 2009, 06:38 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hi Muris,
I have 3 videos I am gonna upload in the next few days. Here is the first one. This is me just playing a scalar sequence using 16th triplets. First tempo is 105 and second tempo is 120. It sounded and felt pretty clean to me.....the cleanest I've ever played ANYTHING with AP for sure. laugh.gif I just wanted to show you this little clip to show you that I think I have totally worked out my right hand hand position issues that I had when I first started MTP with you. I think I am doing a good job of curling my right hand fingers and I think I am doing a decent job of rollling my right hand up and down as I ascend and descend.

Tomorrow I am gonna upload the AP etude. I might just upload it in chunks rather than me trying to play it from start to finish. To be honest with you I see myself practicing this for a year or so. Even though I can't play it any where near full tempo.....although I will someday laugh.gif .....I have found this etude invaluable for my AP development. thanks for recommending it.

The third upload will be the tune I am working on that we agreed you would do a take over.....Just gotta record it. smile.gif Thanks again Muris. I'm really starting to enjoy using AP and I think it will start popping up in my playing soon. smile.gif I still need to gain a little more control but it is getting better every day.

I look forward to your thoughts. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
May 2 2009, 08:02 PM
Instructor
I can see one clip atm Monte and what can I say,
it works GREAT!!
Your picking hand looks smooth and relaxed,
fingers and nicely curved and there is no wrist rolling, good job. smile.gif
A note, to test it even better you can try to play
regular up and down without repetition, 3nps only, not 6.
Try it (maybe even record) and let me know how it goes. smile.gif

QUOTE (lcsdds @ May 2 2009, 07:38 PM) *
Tomorrow I am gonna upload the AP etude. I might just upload it in chunks rather than me trying to play it from start to finish. To be honest with you I see myself practicing this for a year or so. Even though I can't play it any where near full tempo.....although I will someday laugh.gif .....I have found this etude invaluable for my AP development. thanks for recommending it.

Let me throw some light on you,
I tried the same lesson few days ago and I had real problems first I started,
I took me several minutes to play it without too much troubles and fully clean.
My point is, practicing goes on and on, we are never done. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
lcsdds
May 2 2009, 08:18 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ May 2 2009, 08:02 PM) *
I can see one clip atm Monte and what can I say,
it works GREAT!!
Your picking hand looks smooth and relaxed,
fingers and nicely curved and there is no wrist rolling, good job. smile.gif
A note, to test it even better you can try to play
regular up and down without repetition, 3nps only, not 6.
Try it (maybe even record) and let me know how it goes. smile.gif

Let me throw some light on you,
I tried the same lesson few days ago and I had real problems first I started,
I took me several minutes to play it without too much troubles and fully clean.
My point is, practicing goes on and on, we are never done. smile.gif

Can't fool you can I. laugh.gif I actually was thinking this morning that I really need to just play it with 3nps as well. I'll add this into my routine tomorrow as well.

I am gonna upload the AP etude tomorrow but I decided I'm gonna break it up into the 8 or so chunks like I told you earlier. That way you can comment on a specific section if you feel it is appropriate. Thanks Muris and I'll upload again tomorrow. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
May 2 2009, 10:30 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (lcsdds @ May 2 2009, 09:18 PM) *
Can't fool you can I. laugh.gif

Hmm, I had no idea that you wanted to fool me. laugh.gif

QUOTE (lcsdds @ May 2 2009, 09:18 PM) *
I actually was thinking this morning that I really need to just play it with 3nps as well. I'll add this into my routine tomorrow as well.

I am gonna upload the AP etude tomorrow but I decided I'm gonna break it up into the 8 or so chunks like I told you earlier. That way you can comment on a specific section if you feel it is appropriate. Thanks Muris and I'll upload again tomorrow. smile.gif

Agree, you can upload it in segments, no problem at all Monte. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
lcsdds
May 3 2009, 04:26 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ May 2 2009, 10:30 PM) *
Hmm, I had no idea that you wanted to fool me. laugh.gif

Didn't really try to fool you but you picked up right away that it is easier to play 6nps pattern than to run the scale using 3nps. I didn't really think about it being easier until you said something....but it is easier since there is less string crossing....at least I think so. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
lcsdds
May 3 2009, 05:54 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hi Muris,
Here is the video of the AP etude. Sorry I'm not very good at putting video together. I basically just made a video of my practice session this morning and then tried to pick out the fastest cleanest bits.....that is why the tempo varies and it is split up into chunks. I don't see any point in trying to string this thing together until I get it closer to full speed. Some parts I can play at 120 bpm and others only 75 or 90. The parts I have the hardest time with is when there is only one note on a string....a shape that I would normally sweep. Like I told you earlier this is a LONG term lesson for me but I am getting better at AP....at least I think I am. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
May 3 2009, 11:44 PM
Instructor
Ohh, you're not using your pinky AT ALL at the end,
those 3nps runs higher on the neck, I feel fooled once again. sad.gif unsure.gif laugh.gif

Joking of course, that part isn't crucial here
so you can use any fingering you want, no problems. wink.gif

And I really like the way you broken the lesson into smaller parts,
one lick or arpeggio pattern as a single exercise , I really like that Monte!

Now here's a deal, try to find a tempo that will allow you to play whole lesson
without too much troubles, play it few times and even record a clip for me.
Doing that is really good since you really have to bother yourself with
all parts that you can play a lot faster but still you have to follow tempo
determined by few trickier licks, like those 1nps arpeggios you mentioned.
And at the end you become sooo frustrated with those few licks that cause
you troubles and keep you on slower tempo and then you go nuts,
you play them alone like thousand times and you nail them nicely,
I've tortured myself that way many times. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
lcsdds
May 4 2009, 01:11 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ May 3 2009, 11:44 PM) *
Ohh, you're not using your pinky AT ALL at the end,
those 3nps runs higher on the neck, I feel fooled once again. sad.gif unsure.gif laugh.gif

Joking of course, that part isn't crucial here
so you can use any fingering you want, no problems. wink.gif

And I really like the way you broken the lesson into smaller parts,
one lick or arpeggio pattern as a single exercise , I really like that Monte!

Now here's a deal, try to find a tempo that will allow you to play whole lesson
without too much troubles, play it few times and even record a clip for me.
Doing that is really good since you really have to bother yourself with
all parts that you can play a lot faster but still you have to follow tempo
determined by few trickier licks, like those 1nps arpeggios you mentioned.
And at the end you become sooo frustrated with those few licks that cause
you troubles and keep you on slower tempo and then you go nuts,
you play them alone like thousand times and you nail them nicely,
I've tortured myself that way many times. biggrin.gif

Breaking it down like that is the only way I'll EVER be able to get this to tempo. This lesson has really pushed me. It has taken me a LONG time to learn this lesson....meaning memorize it.....because almost EVERY lick is a pattern that up until now I would NEVER play on top of using a technique that I NEVER use......at least used to never use. tongue.gif laugh.gif

I'm sure you noticed in my little video that I turned the first diminished arpeggio the arpeggio right before that into a repeating excercise that I could just cycle over and over.....and over. tongue.gif laugh.gif I just did that about a week ago for the very reason that you mentioned. Most of the lesson I can play pretty decent at 120. But those two arpeggios had really been holding me back so I made an excercise out of them so I could play them over and over without stopping. It has really helped too.

So my uploads for next week will be my own tune so you can do a take over the backing and give me some direction there.....and then I'll work on doing a non-stop take of the whole AP lesson.

Also Muris....and this is pretty big for me.....on that E Lydian take I posted yesterday that I am still working on, I just wrote out a really cool AP lick to end it. It is about 11 bars long and it is 16ths at 160bpm. I am actually pretty close to being able to pull it off too. When I started MTP with you.....I think about 3 months ago.....I was only at MAYBE 100 bpm with 16ths...... and that was pushing it too. So I think I have made some pretty good progress on my AP. I have told you as well that I am actually looking for opportunities to use it.....which NEVER happened before MTP. It's amazing what a little detail like curling your right hand fingers makes. laugh.gif

BTW Muris.....not using my pinky was pretty difficult for me. I don't know why I did that but I SWEAR that I saw that that was what you did in your lesson and I was really trying to play it exactly the way you did.....that was one of my main goals for this lesson. No cheating!! tongue.gif laugh.gif I'm gonna have to make sure I wear my glasses next time I watch the video for this lesson. laugh.gif

Thanks Muris.

EDIT:

I just watched the video of your AP lesson again and you do use your pinky.....although your fingers are moving so freaking fast that it is still a judgement call. tongue.gif laugh.gif I'm gonna switch my fingering on this to use my pinky. Like I said before, my main goal for this lesson was to play it exactly like you did....no switching picking strokes or fingering or note positions etc. Now that you pointed out that you use your pinky I think I will actually be able to play those last 3nps runs cleaner because I can use fingerings I am more comfortable with. I don't think that is dirt on your axis fingerboard Muris.....I think it is burn marks. laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

BTW....did your stuff arrive yet?

This post has been edited by lcsdds: May 4 2009, 01:11 AM

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:08 PM