6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Bleez's Bootcamp, Torture! Pain! And Glory!
bleez
May 5 2013, 09:01 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
cool, thanks for those vids smile.gif
I had tried messing around with the classical hand position a while ago but it was 'different' and I just gravitated back.... but for the sake of shred I'll definitely try and develop it.
cheers dude.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 7 2013, 05:49 AM
GMC:er
It's worth doing to be sure smile.gif Being able to switch between "Classical" and "Rock" position is something that is really essential to progressing as a player IMHO.

Todd

QUOTE (bleez @ May 5 2013, 04:01 PM) *
cool, thanks for those vids smile.gif
I had tried messing around with the classical hand position a while ago but it was 'different' and I just gravitated back.... but for the sake of shred I'll definitely try and develop it.
cheers dude.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
bleez
Sep 13 2013, 01:17 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
took me a bit to get used to the classical position but I think Im getting used to it now rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 13 2013, 09:13 PM
NICE!!!!! Soldier, you have really gained serious ground. And thats a SPIFF Marshall BTW!!! Also BIG POINTS for using the pinky up high. This is the part where you bleed just a bit.

One more vid like this, but start with SINGLE PICK like your doing. Transition to DOUBLE PICK (two strikes per note slow down the speed if needed) then transition to QUAD PICK four strikes per note.

This FLAT OUT FREAKING HARD I know. You will have to adapt your picking to do each one of these. Keep your pick strikes very close to the string before and after so you have very little way to travel back to the next strike.

This is TOUGH but it's worth doing. Your multi picking will carry with you as you advance as a lead player and open up options you hadn't considered.

Sarge

QUOTE (bleez @ Sep 13 2013, 08:17 AM) *
took me a bit to get used to the classical position but I think Im getting used to it now rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
bleez
Sep 14 2013, 10:26 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
cool, thanks sarge biggrin.gif
you aint kidding about the double / quadruple picking ohmy.gif I had a quick go at it..... 'quite' difficult! but that just means it will be all the more awesome when mastered smile.gif

My Marshall cool.gif its a beast! Its a JMP 50W from 1980, Im not sure if it qualifies as 'vintage' yet but its seen a fair amount of action and still sounds like Satan's unholy backline smile.gif I think the cab is older, it used to belong to the band 'Nazareth'.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 17 2013, 04:22 AM
80's Marshalls are actually My Fave Vintage!! smile.gif Some folks do of course prefer the 1969, but I really do dig the one's from Metal's Golden Age smile.gif That's pretty darn cool you have cab from Nazareth! Baptised in Blood and Southern Rawk!!

BACK TO THE FRONT!!!

Soldier, those DOUBLES, QUADS can feel like the Guitar Version of DROP AND GIVE ME 1,000!!!! But they will seriously make your picking hand nimble and have been known to promote beard growth!!!

Sarge

QUOTE (bleez @ Sep 14 2013, 05:26 AM) *
cool, thanks sarge biggrin.gif
you aint kidding about the double / quadruple picking ohmy.gif I had a quick go at it..... 'quite' difficult! but that just means it will be all the more awesome when mastered smile.gif

My Marshall cool.gif its a beast! Its a JMP 50W from 1980, Im not sure if it qualifies as 'vintage' yet but its seen a fair amount of action and still sounds like Satan's unholy backline smile.gif I think the cab is older, it used to belong to the band 'Nazareth'.

+Quote Post
bleez
Oct 5 2013, 06:21 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Yo Sarge........ by the beard of zeus, quad picking this lesson is a thoroughly manly task smile.gif

here's where Im at with the single, double and quad picks.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 8 2013, 12:25 AM
You are making some truly fine progress here Soldier!!!! These Picking Missions will put hair on your chest!!!! I'm making you a quick vid to demonstrate some right hand approaches that may improve your kill ratio!! watch the range of motion on the pick hand. How it reduces at speed. Also, I"m using a Sharp Von Hotch pick and just picking with the very tip.

Sarge.

QUOTE (bleez @ Oct 5 2013, 01:21 PM) *
Yo Sarge........ by the beard of zeus, quad picking this lesson is a thoroughly manly task smile.gif

here's where Im at with the single, double and quad picks.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 8 2013, 03:28 AM

+Quote Post
bleez
Oct 8 2013, 08:48 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
thanks for the vid smile.gif
so, what Im thinking is my right hand needs smaller movements and also I should have my pick more angled, I think my pick is a bit flat against the string?
I had been trying out those petrucci picks but Ive switched back to the dunlop sharps you recommended for the bootcamp stuff.

also, Ive got myself a bit confused with the timing. Im not sure if this is correct but what Ive been attempting to do is -
my left hand frets each note of the pattern on each beat of the metronome. so the speed of my left hand does not change between single, double and quad picks. only my right hand changes speed.
Heres an example of what Im trying to do, its a bit scrappy rolleyes.gif but this is quad then doubles then singles with my left hand always at the same speed :

would that be the correct way to play this, timing wise?

watching your vid it looked like your left hand fretted singles and doubles at the same speed but slowed for the quad picking. I do struggle with timings especially at this sort of fast speed so I confuse myself quite easily!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 8 2013, 09:51 PM
BINGO!!! You must be a bit psychic as those are ALL of the bits I was trying to convey in the vid and you picked all of it up despite the fact there is no talking in the vid!!!!

You nailed all of the points on the head Soldier!! Thing of the right hand as almost separate. Just start it going at a steady pace and keep it moving. Like a Drill Bit set on HIGH smile.gif

The pointy picks should help and choke up to the point and get a more severe angle as you mentioned. Well done Soldier!!!

BITS ON THE VID>

Very well played and you are getting it!!!! Quick Tips

1.) Try (very slowly without the metronome at first) to articulate the pick using only your first finger and thumb.
-This will seem alien at first, but the more work you can get out of the finger/thumb, the better.

2.)Loosen up your right arm a bit. It's a natural instinct to tighten up and pick from the elbow , but try to pick from the fingers back not the elbow up. I'm not saying you are picking from the elbow, just that it's a natural thing that one has to fight. Try to slowly train your hand to pick from the thum/first finger, then wrist. So frome the fingers back, not the elbow forward, does this make any sense?

Sarge

QUOTE (bleez @ Oct 8 2013, 03:48 PM) *
thanks for the vid smile.gif
so, what Im thinking is my right hand needs smaller movements and also I should have my pick more angled, I think my pick is a bit flat against the string?
I had been trying out those petrucci picks but Ive switched back to the dunlop sharps you recommended for the bootcamp stuff.

also, Ive got myself a bit confused with the timing. Im not sure if this is correct but what Ive been attempting to do is -
my left hand frets each note of the pattern on each beat of the metronome. so the speed of my left hand does not change between single, double and quad picks. only my right hand changes speed.
Heres an example of what Im trying to do, its a bit scrappy rolleyes.gif but this is quad then doubles then singles with my left hand always at the same speed :

would that be the correct way to play this, timing wise?

watching your vid it looked like your left hand fretted singles and doubles at the same speed but slowed for the quad picking. I do struggle with timings especially at this sort of fast speed so I confuse myself quite easily!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 8 2013, 09:56 PM

+Quote Post
bleez
Oct 9 2013, 08:32 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I'll give those points a try. Picking from the finger/thumb feels like some sort witchcraft smile.gif
thanks dude, I shall forge ahead and see what damage I can do!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 9 2013, 06:41 PM
It's actually quite a bit of Witchcraft smile.gif "Snake Magic" or Snake Charming to be specific. You have to think of your hand as being two separate things. Like a snakes tongue that forks. One half/fork remains grounded on the bridge (as a mute and for leverage) the other half/fork dances about and does the striking. smile.gif Think of your hand as the head of the snake and allow it to rock back and forth a bit but don't let the left fork loose it's place on the bridge.

Attached Image

QUOTE (bleez @ Oct 9 2013, 03:32 AM) *
I'll give those points a try. Picking from the finger/thumb feels like some sort witchcraft smile.gif
thanks dude, I shall forge ahead and see what damage I can do!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 9 2013, 06:46 PM

+Quote Post
bleez
Dec 8 2013, 11:22 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
yo sarge. reporting in with a status update of lesson 4 with the added double and quad strikes.

thanks.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 9 2013, 08:47 PM
Well fought Soldier!!! You are making great progress here. Keep it up!!! You are putting all the tips to good use.

On to the debrief!!

MEDAL OF HONOR

1.)Clean and Tight picking
2.)Very Tight hand Synch
3.)Killer Endurance!

Soldier, you just

!!!!!!LEVELED UP!!!!!!!

Attached Image

QUOTE (bleez @ Dec 8 2013, 05:22 PM) *
yo sarge. reporting in with a status update of lesson 4 with the added double and quad strikes.

thanks.

+Quote Post
bleez
Apr 27 2014, 10:04 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Yo Sarge,
Here's my progress with Lesson 5.
Seems to take me ages to be at a stage where its worth recording but its not from the lack of practice cool.gif
Ive included the same picking we done in the last lesson - singles, doubles and quads.

thanks smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 28 2014, 07:13 PM
WELL FOUGHT SOLDIER!!!!!

Don't worry about having to spend time on the firing range, all part of the plan!!!! The more the better! As long as it takes Soldier!!!! Let's DEBRIEF!!

Soldier, you just

!!!!!!LEVELED UP!!!!!!!

MEDAL OF HONOR

1.)Right in GREAT position and LOCKED to bridge
2.)Tight hand synch right and left
3.)Spiff overall Picking Technique!

Attached Image

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Apr 28 2014, 07:16 PM

+Quote Post
bleez
Apr 29 2014, 08:16 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Awesome cool.gif thanks Sarge! Lesson 6 looks really cool..... locked and loaded smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 1 2014, 05:20 AM
Give em Hell Soldier!!!!!! smile.gif

QUOTE (bleez @ Apr 29 2014, 03:16 AM) *
Awesome cool.gif thanks Sarge! Lesson 6 looks really cool..... locked and loaded smile.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 18 2014, 07:41 PM
SOLDIER, Lesson 6 is in your sights!! FIRE!!!!

Sarge

QUOTE (bleez @ Apr 29 2014, 03:16 AM) *

+Quote Post
bleez
Jul 20 2014, 12:35 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 18 2014, 07:41 PM) *
SOLDIER, Lesson 6 is in your sights!! FIRE!!!!

Sarge

yo sarge... fresh from the front line here's where Im at with lesson 6(66) cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:03 PM