2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Alternate Picking
Gert1973
Dec 9 2022, 10:26 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
This is where I am now on the alternate picking lesson from Bear.

Look forward to feedback smile.gif

Cheers,

Gert

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Gert1973: Dec 9 2022, 10:29 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Dec 9 2022, 12:13 PM
Learning Tone Master
Hi Gert!

That's a promising start. But...from what I see this lesson requires a little more work at a lower speed for two reasons:

1. You have timing issues. In order to manage this technique at a faster speed, we need to make you able to play perfectly at a lower tempo.

2. The left hand - at this moment your hand is not used to so much movement. You learned the melody from the lesson, you are aware which are the notes that you must play, but your hand still requires practice at a lower tempo.
Once the left hand starts working in a good way, most of the timing issues will disappear.

Now, I would like to add something in your practice (besides the normal way of practice to this lesson).

1. Set the backing at a lower tempo.

2. Block all the strings with your left hand. We need to have a muted sound because we don't use this hand.

3. Start the backing track and make the alternate picking like you would play the lesson. Focus on keeping the perfect timing. In this way, your right hand will get used to keeping the timing and have equal strokes.

4. Once you manage this at a lower tempo, start to raise the speed. It would be awesome if next time you would make a very short recording for this particular task.

Let's see how things work and we will decide the next steps. wink.gif

Have a great day!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Dec 9 2022, 12:21 PM
GMC Founder
Very cool Gert

This is promising and you are doing a great job practicing within your range (yet still progressing fast!)

There are some 'hick-ups' when something challenging happens such as a position shift (00:45). The way to go about this is to practice the difficult parts separately, in order to avoid repeating the same mistake over and over (this is dangerous as it can create bad habits).

Then, when you can play the whole thing - your goal should be to practice and build speed with no mistakes at all.

As far as your picking goes, I would advice you to angle your pick so it's not completely parallel to the string. Here is an exaggeration of the pick angle, so you can see what I mean:

Attached Image

When you do this, the string crossing requires much less effort - which has many advantages.

Pro tip:

You are using lots of wrist movement here on not that much thumb joint movement. Here is an opportunity for you to economise your movement and build speed much faster.

I explain those movements in detail in part 2 here:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/How-To...ernate-Picking/

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gert1973
Dec 13 2022, 02:17 PM
Hi Monica,

Here's a record of the task you gave me...

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Dec 13 2022, 03:43 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gert1973 @ Dec 13 2022, 01:17 PM) *
Hi Monica,

Here's a record of the task you gave me...

Hi Gert!

First of all, thanks for the fact that you spent the time doing this additional task. smile.gif In this way, you can analyze and focus on your right hand movement without being distracted by the left hand.

Now a few words about your take.

Overall, you keep a very good timing. The only exception is the part from 0:41 - 0:45 where you rush the timing.

The upstroke picking - are moments when the upstroke is not well audible/ not well defined. What causes this issue is simple:

- strength management - we need to use an equal strength for both: downstroke and upstroke.

- be very careful because you tend, when you play, to change the angle of the pick and this causes issues. I mean when you start the recording, you have the pick angled as Kris told you and that is a very good thing. When you finish the recording (starting with 0:42) your pick returns to a much more straight position (parallel to the strings) and this is not good for the alternate picking technique.

Look, we use the pick in a straight position when we play something slow or soft because it gives us the maximum amount of tone and less amount of pick noise. BUT...when we have fast patterns, a lot of string skipping or alternate picking, we always use the pick in an angled position.

Now let's solve another problem. Kris gave you golden advice about using the thumb joint movement.
I can see in your video that you "locked" your hand and you make some movement with the thumb, but it is not the correct one.

Watch Kris's video again about the alternate picking ( https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/How-To...ernate-Picking/ ) and look very close at his thumb finger. You will see that his thumb doesn't remain straight, he bends the finger to be able to make the movement. Think that your thumb finger is going to the gym to do some abs. biggrin.gif

Here you can see the difference:
Attached Image

If you succeed in making this thumb movement, it will help you in your further development because it's a short cut which will make you able to play at high speeds. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Gert1973
Dec 13 2022, 07:31 PM
Good evening Monica,

I've practised some more on my alternate picking technique.

I noticed I didn't use the same method as Kris and made this new recording. I think I got the right 'movement' now.

Still struggle with making a decent sound with strings muted with my pic. I see Kris uses a pic with a much sharper point then my pic. My end is more blunt. Maybe this makes it a little bit more easy on the strokes to get the right sound when playing with muted strings?

But when I play unmuted, I don't have the issue of getting a good sound out of my string with my more blunt pic.

But anyway... I want to show you this record so you can look and tell me if I'm going in the right direction or I need to make some more adjustments.

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Dec 13 2022, 09:45 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gert1973 @ Dec 13 2022, 06:31 PM) *
Good evening Monica,

I've practised some more on my alternate picking technique.

I noticed I didn't use the same method as Kris and made this new recording. I think I got the right 'movement' now.

Still struggle with making a decent sound with strings muted with my pic. I see Kris uses a pic with a much sharper point then my pic. My end is more blunt. Maybe this makes it a little bit more easy on the strokes to get the right sound when playing with muted strings?

But when I play unmuted, I don't have the issue of getting a good sound out of my string with my more blunt pic.

But anyway... I want to show you this record so you can look and tell me if I'm going in the right direction or I need to make some more adjustments.

Hi Gert!

Yes, you got the idea of the thumb movement. Great work! smile.gif

See, this technique, it's almost like you're moving the pick in circles because your thumb and index finger extend when picking downward and they come back when picking upward.

Of course, you need a little more time to get used with this technique, but now you are going in the right direction.

The only adjustment that, if it's necessary, we can make in the future is related to the pick angle. Be careful when you play to not angle the pick too much. To have a reference point, always compare your pick angle with Kris's pick angle.
But...don't worry when you will play the lesson, we will hear in the sound how good the pick angle is.
At this moment, I don't want to give you too many tasks at the same time. All I would like you to do, is to get used with the thumb movement and add this technique to your current lesson.

Gert, it doesn't matter what type of pick you use. It's all about technique. If you have a good technique, you can play with a sixpence coin like Brian May and things will still sound awesome. wink.gif
I personally use Jazz III XL Black.

The difference that you hear between muted and unmuted strings comes from a strength management issue. On muted strings we need to add more force when we play to make things sound good.
It's the same thing like practicing with guitar unplugged (you will see this in future). If things sound good played with the guitar unplugged, it will sound amazing with the guitar plugged.

BTW, you noticed the big improvement that you have made today with this thumb movement? When you maintain a good movement, we can hear in the sound that you pick using an equal strength for both: downstroke and upstroke. This makes me happy. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gert1973
Dec 14 2022, 12:32 PM
Thanks Monica for the positive feedback! Always good to hear things are going in the good direction

I already started practising the lesson with focus on the thumb technique.

Another question...

I also started learning and practising C major scales after the lesson from bear and learning all the 7 positions.

Do I also have to play them with this thumb technique? The same way as alternate picking?

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Dec 14 2022, 01:38 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gert1973 @ Dec 14 2022, 11:32 AM) *
Thanks Monica for the positive feedback! Always good to hear things are going in the good direction

I already started practising the lesson with focus on the thumb technique.

Another question...

I also started learning and practising C major scales after the lesson from bear and learning all the 7 positions.

Do I also have to play them with this thumb technique? The same way as alternate picking?

You're welcome. smile.gif

About your question. You can practice the scales in every way possible, even playing the scale with slides or bends.

If you choose to play the scales using alternate picking and you do this at a slow speed, you can play using the wrist movement (what you already know and how Kris also shows in his lesson).
But the faster you go with the tempo, I recommend you to add the thumb joint movement. Our purpose is, at fast speeds, to have minimum of movements, control and flexibility.

Have a great practice time! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gert1973
Dec 16 2022, 11:48 AM
Kind of proudly present... smile.gif

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Dec 16 2022, 12:45 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gert1973 @ Dec 16 2022, 10:48 AM) *
Kind of proudly present... smile.gif

Hi Gert!

Wow...that's a really huge improvement!!! smile.gif

Your right hand looks really cool, the thumb joint movement works great and the angle of the pick is good.
I like that we don't have a difference in sound between the downstroke and upstroke. This means that you pick using an equal strength for both movements.

Now the next step to improve your playing, is to make your left hand play the notes more glued. So, in order to fix this you need to be careful at:

1. When you play a note, don't release the pressure of the finger too early because the note will stop sounding and you will have a pause between the notes (as, for example, 0:26 - 0:27 when you switch from ring finger to pinky finger).
If you look at the instructor playing, you will see that his finger release the string pressure after he plays the next note (of course it doesn't apply this when he makes slides).

2. When you have that big switch of position (0:18 - 0:20; 0:41 -0:42; etc), my advice is to use the index finger to make that long slide (as the instructor does). It's much easier to use the index finger because it's already positioned on the string and the slide will have better precision.

3. When the notes don't sound glued (legato sound), also verify the fingering used by the instructor. Sometimes, copying the same fingering can fix the issues.

Overall, your take started to sound really good. You did an amazing job!

Gert,....I'm very, very, very proud of you!!! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Dec 16 2022, 10:38 PM
GMC Founder
I just want to shime in with some praise here - you are doing an excellent job developing your right hand Gert! 😎👌

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gert1973
Dec 17 2022, 02:42 PM
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Dec 16 2022, 12:45 PM) *
Hi Gert!

Wow...that's a really huge improvement!!! smile.gif

Your right hand looks really cool, the thumb joint movement works great and the angle of the pick is good.
I like that we don't have a difference in sound between the downstroke and upstroke. This means that you pick using an equal strength for both movements.

Now the next step to improve your playing, is to make your left hand play the notes more glued. So, in order to fix this you need to be careful at:

1. When you play a note, don't release the pressure of the finger too early because the note will stop sounding and you will have a pause between the notes (as, for example, 0:26 - 0:27 when you switch from ring finger to pinky finger).
If you look at the instructor playing, you will see that his finger release the string pressure after he plays the next note (of course it doesn't apply this when he makes slides).

2. When you have that big switch of position (0:18 - 0:20; 0:41 -0:42; etc), my advice is to use the index finger to make that long slide (as the instructor does). It's much easier to use the index finger because it's already positioned on the string and the slide will have better precision.

3. When the notes don't sound glued (legato sound), also verify the fingering used by the instructor. Sometimes, copying the same fingering can fix the issues.

Overall, your take started to sound really good. You did an amazing job!

Gert,....I'm very, very, very proud of you!!! smile.gif

Hello Monica,

Thanks for the positive feedback! Always good to hear... biggrin.gif

In his video, Bear suggested to use fingering at own taste (or something like that biggrin.gif) I wanted to take the opportunity to train my pinky finger. That's why I make the big switch with my pinky and also some other fingering choices that are different to Bear's.
But I will try to play this lesson with the same fingering as bear and see if this makes a difference. Probably yes because the ring finger is more powerfull and accurate then the pinky one.

Do you suggest on fixing these issues at the same speed in this lesson? Or can I switch to a higher gear? laugh.gif

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Dec 16 2022, 10:38 PM) *
I just want to shime in with some praise here - you are doing an excellent job developing your right hand Gert! 😎👌

Thanks Kris for this kind feedback! Always great to hear!

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Dec 17 2022, 05:18 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gert1973 @ Dec 17 2022, 01:42 PM) *
Hello Monica,

Thanks for the positive feedback! Always good to hear... biggrin.gif

In his video, Bear suggested to use fingering at own taste (or something like that biggrin.gif) I wanted to take the opportunity to train my pinky finger. That's why I make the big switch with my pinky and also some other fingering choices that are different to Bear's.
But I will try to play this lesson with the same fingering as bear and see if this makes a difference. Probably yes because the ring finger is more powerfull and accurate then the pinky one.

Do you suggest on fixing these issues at the same speed in this lesson? Or can I switch to a higher gear? laugh.gif

Hi Gert!

Sure, you can increase the tempo. smile.gif This kind of detail can be fixed even if you will switch to a higher speed.

I like the fact that you used your pinky finger more. The fingering that you use is not a bad one at all (actually it's a great one). Just keep in mind to apply what I said at point number one.

Only on that particular switch position (the long slide), the pinky finger gives you some trouble in sound. There are a few ways you can fix this issue. So, I will give you 3 solutions and let you choose the one which sounds better and is more comfortable for you.

1. Use the index finger. It will give you more precision, but you will be forced to change the fingering for the next lick.

2. Use your ring finger. You will have more power in it and it doesn't require many changes in fingering for the next lick.

3. Use the pinky finger. That's the best solution because it is the most comfortable (when the pinky finger is already trained and have more strength) and good looking one (pro level).
I think we can make this work if I give you a different explanation and let you see things in a different way. smile.gif

At this moment, on that particular spot, we hear a beginning of the slide which comes from your index finger, a huge pause and then the note played by your pinky finger. The purpose note is pressed from the air by your pinky finger.

Now what you should do to fix this is by making with your pinky finger a "slide from nowhere". It is called "from nowhere" because it doesn't have a particular note for the beginning.
This means that after you play the note with your index finger, your pinky finger should make the slide and reach the purpose note. The accent is put on the purpose note. You just let your finger slip on the string and stop on the purpose note. 
You know, it's like you slip on an ice and you stop in a wall (the accent is when you hit the wall laugh.gif ). biggrin.gif

So...our goal is to replace the pause which we have now, with the sound of a slide made by your pinky. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Monica Gheorghevici: Dec 17 2022, 05:26 PM

+Quote Post
Gert1973
Dec 17 2022, 05:36 PM
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Dec 17 2022, 05:18 PM) *
Hi Gert!

Sure, you can increase the tempo. smile.gif This kind of detail can be fixed even if you will switch to a higher speed.

I like the fact that you used your pinky finger more. The fingering that you use is not a bad one at all (actually it's a great one). Just keep in mind to apply what I said at point number one.

Only on that particular switch position (the long slide), the pinky finger gives you some trouble in sound. There are a few ways you can fix this issue. So, I will give you 3 solutions and let you choose the one which sounds better and is more comfortable for you.

1. Use the index finger. It will give you more precision, but you will be forced to change the fingering for the next lick.

2. Use your ring finger. You will have more power in it and it doesn't require many changes in fingering for the next lick.

3. Use the pinky finger. That's the best solution because it is the most comfortable (when the pinky finger is already trained and have more strength) and good looking one (pro level).
I think we can make this work if I give you a different explanation and let you see things in a different way. smile.gif

At this moment, on that particular spot, we hear a beginning of the slide which comes from your index finger, a huge pause and then the note played by your pinky finger. The purpose note is pressed from the air by your pinky finger.

Now what you should do to fix this is by making with your pinky finger a "slide from nowhere". It is called "from nowhere" because it doesn't have a particular note for the beginning.
This means that after you play the note with your index finger, your pinky finger should make the slide and reach the purpose note. The accent is put on the purpose note. You just let your finger slip on the string and stop on the purpose note. 
You know, it's like you slip on an ice and you stop in a wall (the accent is when you hit the wall laugh.gif ). biggrin.gif

So...our goal is to replace the pause which we have now, with the sound of a slide made by your pinky. smile.gif

Ok! Got it and understand it all... biggrin.gif

Now time for practise all this wink.gif

+Quote Post
Gert1973
Dec 17 2022, 08:10 PM
Hi Monica,

I quickly tried out the slide with my pinky finger.

Is this going in the direction you want it to go? biggrin.gif

I think the second slide is a little bit better.

This post has been edited by Gert1973: Dec 17 2022, 08:11 PM

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Dec 17 2022, 09:51 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gert1973 @ Dec 17 2022, 07:10 PM) *
Hi Monica,

I quickly tried out the slide with my pinky finger.

Is this going in the direction you want it to go? biggrin.gif

I think the second slide is a little bit better.

You are almost there. smile.gif

When you start the slide with the pinky, don't stay on that fret because we don't want you to highlight that note. The only note that we want to highlight is the purpose note.
If you remember, we had a similar kind of issue with the slides when we started working on the " C major scale" lesson. Then I said to you "Make the slides a little faster. Don't spend too much time on the note that is played with the pick".
So, we want to have a "slide from nowhere" and hear the final note, not the beginning note of the slide.

Also, at this moment you add one more pick (one when you start the slide and one on the purpose note) and this is not ok.
The slide should be played very fast and you have two possibilities:

1. You pick the string when you go with the pinky on the slide. Keep in mind when you touch the string with the pick, your pinky finger should be already in movement.

2. You make the slide and you pick only the purpose note. It's something similar to how Bear does in the lesson.

To understand better how you should match this slide at a good timing, think in this way:
After you finish with the index finger and you do the last downstroke, the next upstroke should highlight the high note. If you look very careful in the lesson, you will understand what I want to say.

Let me know if you can manage this thing. If not, I will explain to you in a different way. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gert1973
Dec 19 2022, 12:59 PM
I decided to go for the index finger on the long slide.

I played it in a slow tempo. To me it sounds right biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Dec 19 2022, 02:01 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gert1973 @ Dec 19 2022, 11:59 AM) *
I decided to go for the index finger on the long slide.

I played it in a slow tempo. To me it sounds right biggrin.gif

Yes, sounds perfect!!! That's exactly the sound of the slide that we need. Also, this time the number of picking strokes is correct.
I knew you could manage these details. Awesome work!!! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gert1973
Dec 22 2022, 07:29 PM
Hi Monica,

Any last issues or recommendations before going to full speed?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 07:47 PM