2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Beta Test New Gmc Site Functionality
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 27 2023, 06:05 PM
GMC Founder
This functionality allows you to play with the instructor in any lesson and get automatic feedback to know how you're doing.

Examples:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Crying...&GMC_tester
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Acoust...amp;GMC_tester=

Then click the red record button in lessons!

A few notes..

* this is still "beta", meaning there are still bugs  😅
* it has worked on all lessons I have tried, except for lessons with hi-gain chords / chugging.

In spite of the above, I have been having a lot of fun with this functionality, so hopefully you will enjoy it too. I found it very rewarding to browse around the archive, learn a new lick, and then instantly get feedback on how I did.

The plan is to make it a permanent feature.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Kristofer Dahl: Feb 1 2023, 06:25 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Jan 27 2023, 08:06 PM
Learning Tone Master
Wow...Kris, that's a really awesome idea!!! I haven't tested it yet but I'm sure most of us will have a lot of fun with it. smile.gif
Also, it's something that I never saw on other sites.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
FreePizza
Jan 27 2023, 11:34 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Great addition to the site. I've been working on a Bending and Vibrato lesson for a bit now and am approaching a REC I think. I might try this feature beforehand. smile.gif

Thanks for the hard work, Kris. It's very much appreciated.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 28 2023, 12:13 AM
GMC Founder
🤩 Yes hopefully this will be very cool, and it should indeed be able to give you a hint as to when it's time to start sharing your playing on REC etc.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Arvedahl
Jan 28 2023, 04:39 PM
Learning Chord Basher
Very cool idea!

I just tried it out on a lesson and it seems very nice.

Maybe it could be useful to use this feature in lower speeds to help you practice?

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 28 2023, 05:26 PM
GMC Founder
Awesome feedback! 🤗

I agree this could be very useful. Unfortunately the regular method we use to slow down video without affecting pitch does not work here.

It might still be doable but will be a project of its own. If others request this as well I could prioritise it!

--------------------

+Quote Post
FreePizza
Jan 28 2023, 09:01 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
After some use I gotta say, this is probably the coolest feature I have seen. So useful for me, especially in this bending lesson I am doing. I am hitting most of the intonation but my timing is off in spots and it is just so cool that this is telling me where things go wrong. It's a great challenge and keeps me coming back for more to make gains. It's like playing one of those rhythm games in a way. Definitely adds a new dynamic to study that is lots of fun. Instant feedback is awesome.

*UPDATE* One thing I noticed and I am probably just missing something, but once I complete a run and it tells me "Keep it up! You are not ready to submit a REC take yet." I cannot seem to find a button to retry without reloading the page and hitting the red record button again. Maybe a try again button could be useful. Just some constructive feedback. Love it!

This post has been edited by FreePizza: Jan 28 2023, 09:14 PM

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 28 2023, 10:41 PM
GMC Founder
Awesome mate, and I agree I have also been impressed by how it handles bending. You really have to phrase it right to pass 😅

I am working on the reload functionality, hope to have it up asap!

QUOTE (FreePizza @ Jan 28 2023, 09:01 PM) *
After some use I gotta say, this is probably the coolest feature I have seen. So useful for me, especially in this bending lesson I am doing. I am hitting most of the intonation but my timing is off in spots and it is just so cool that this is telling me where things go wrong. It's a great challenge and keeps me coming back for more to make gains. It's like playing one of those rhythm games in a way. Definitely adds a new dynamic to study that is lots of fun. Instant feedback is awesome.

*UPDATE* One thing I noticed and I am probably just missing something, but once I complete a run and it tells me "Keep it up! You are not ready to submit a REC take yet." I cannot seem to find a button to retry without reloading the page and hitting the red record button again. Maybe a try again button could be useful. Just some constructive feedback. Love it!

Btw which lesson are you working on?

--------------------

+Quote Post
FreePizza
Jan 28 2023, 10:51 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Guido's Basic Rock Guitar: Bending and Vibrato. I thought it would be a good follow up after the feedback from my last REC on John Mayer's Crossroads. This feature is a super upgrade for the site. 👍😍

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 28 2023, 09:41 PM) *
Btw which lesson are you working on?

This post has been edited by FreePizza: Jan 28 2023, 10:56 PM

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 29 2023, 12:12 AM
GMC Founder
Very nice I will give it a try as well, here is the full url in case anyone wants give it s a shot:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Basic-...amp;GMC_tester=

Thanks mate, I also have a good feeling about this one 🤩

edit - the solution seems to be a little unreliable in HQ mode, so please use LQ video for now when testing

--------------------

+Quote Post
FreePizza
Jan 29 2023, 03:39 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
I got up to an 84, getting closer to a pass maybe lol. I don't know if I even want to know what it takes to pass. I think I like not knowing right now - I'm not there yet. That last run is pretty tricky.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 29 2023, 08:22 AM
GMC Founder
You can also stop recording before the end, and you will get an assessment up to that point!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 29 2023, 11:36 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (FreePizza @ Jan 29 2023, 03:39 AM) *
I got up to an 84, getting closer to a pass maybe lol. I don't know if I even want to know what it takes to pass. I think I like not knowing right now - I'm not there yet. That last run is pretty tricky.

The score system only considers the amount of notes you have nailed, and right now if you have nailed (roughly!) 70% of the total notes you played, it gives you a passing grade.

So for a slow/easy lesson with a just a few notes in total, you can pass with a very low score.

Also if you nail more than 70% of the notes in the first 10 seconds, and then click the stop button - you will pass as well.

All this (and much more) can of course be tweaked - so that's why your feedback is extremely important 🤗

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 30 2023, 10:01 AM
GMC Founder
I have now added the restart functionality, so you don't need to refresh the page and wait for loading again. (the restart icon will show once you first recording is finished or stopped)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 30 2023, 02:04 PM
GMC Founder
I have now fixed all the bugs I am aware of, also this seems to work well on a smartphone as well (as long as you use a headset).

Now we just need a name for this...maybe Machine Tutor ™ ? 😁

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 31 2023, 12:32 PM
GMC Founder
Just a quick update - the solution now shows you the problem regions when recording is over. I am not sure how precise it is, but you can easily adjust the loop regions by dragging the start and end points.

--------------------

+Quote Post
FreePizza
Feb 1 2023, 05:58 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Just wanted to keep you posted on the testing I did with the new Machine Tutor. Last night I ran it a bunch with the same lesson mentioned above. I noticed at times it would appear inconsistent with capturing my notes. For instance the very first two notes D and E - sometimes it would register them and give me points and other times it would not. So I would try refreshing the page and starting again and in a lot of cases this seemed to fix the issue. But then I would notice at times it would seem to just stop registering notes even if I was sure I played them correctly. I know it's a beta so I expect issues, I just wanted to post my experience to possibly help in the development if needed.

I will be doing more testing tonight and will post any findings I think may be helpful.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 1 2023, 06:24 PM
GMC Founder
Thanks a lot for the reporting and well spotted, I fixed various bugs related to restarting. So hopefully it should be a lot smoother for you today.

Also, I made some changes so that it's much more accurate for clean/acoustic strumming.

Do let me know you you find anything else 🤗

--------------------

+Quote Post
FreePizza
Feb 2 2023, 01:12 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Just finished some more practice (same lesson) with the Tutor. It seemed to really register all notes this time. The points seemed to accumulate much faster. I scored somewhere over 100 on my first run I think. When I completed that, I tried the new re-run button (thanks Kris). Accumulative runs seem to have an effect on its accuracy or possibly cause another issue as its registering of notes diminishes and the score doesn't climb properly (or so it would seem).

So I would refresh the page. Now here is where I could recreate an issue repeatedly. Once refreshed, the record button with the ripples would not work. I would need to refresh once more. This would work and bring me back to the app working as well as did in the first run of the evening. If I had 26 points by the first bend up to C#(0:14) I felt like it was working well, mostly because every time I felt I played almost perfectly up until that point the score was up to 26. Subsequent runs using the new re-run button would produce a smaller score up to that point, even if I knew it was played close to the original.

After numerous runs, double refreshing like this, I was able to get my score up to 160. It would still tell me I was not ready for a REC but it did seem to be much more accurate/responsive after the double refresh. For info, I am using the latest Chrome browser.

It definitely felt better tonight. Thanks for all your efforts on this handy tool.

This post has been edited by FreePizza: Feb 2 2023, 01:31 AM

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 2 2023, 10:15 AM
GMC Founder
Awesome feedback!

QUOTE (FreePizza @ Feb 2 2023, 01:12 AM) *
When I completed that, I tried the new re-run button (thanks Kris). Accumulative runs seem to have an effect on its accuracy or possibly cause another issue as its registering of notes diminishes and the score doesn't climb properly (or so it would seem).

I have tried to address this issue and it seems better to me now.

So I would refresh the page. Now here is where I could recreate an issue repeatedly. Once refreshed, the record button with the ripples would not work. I would need to refresh once more. This would work and bring me back to the app working as well as did in the first run of the evening.

Very cool idea here. I have made it so that if you have already tried the Tutor it will speed you through the initial popups (it still needs load the entire instructor video - so it won't be as fast as the "restart" button).

It would still tell me I was not ready for a REC but it did seem to be much more accurate/responsive after the double refresh.

I need to do more testing here. However, if you play the first notes perfectly in an easy lesson (remember bending can be very hard to replicate to 100% and the Tutor will catch bending nuances) - and then stop right away - does this make it easier for you to get a 'passing grade'?

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 06:29 PM