2 Pages V  < 1 2  
I Just Bought....
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 28 2014, 07:59 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Oct 27 2014, 03:13 PM) *
I'm meeting with him tomorrow night, so will post the info on Wednesday for you both. I had a quick chat with him last night and he was saying that he's come up with a slightly different set up to his old way, he's now incorporated a 4th Mic to pick up the Room dynamics/reverb too.
biggrin.gif

Whahah! Amazing, but where am I gonna get 4 mics from? biggrin.gif

Let's see what the techniques look like and what they involve and I'll take it from there - thank you once again, Neil!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Oct 29 2014, 06:52 PM
GMC:er
I had a very interesting chat with Mike last night and he explained his new approach to me. It goes a bit like this:-
"As per normal I use 2 SM57's. One pointing at the Soundhole, slightly angled like you would when mic'ing a Cab, one at the Fingerboard, perpendicular and about halfway along the neck. Then I also use a Kick-drum Mic at the Soundhole to get a better Bass response. Finally I use an Omni-directional Mic about halfway between the player and the furthest wall to pick up the natural Reverb of the Room. There are no 'set' rules, as all the positioning is open for adjustment at any time. The main other thing to remember is to Double Track EACH Mic so you can play with the Panning whilst mixing. The Ambient Mic being panned hard left and hard right (about 85% each side) to give the feeling of the Room Space."
As he says, everything is open to adjustment and the best thing is to play around with things until you are happy with it all but these are good starting Guidelines!!
He also said he'd be interested in hearing the results if you do have a go at recording this way and if he can hear anything that he thinks he could help you with he'd be willing to do so!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Sensible Jones: Oct 29 2014, 06:53 PM

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Oct 29 2014, 08:54 PM
Learning Rock Star
Seems like pairing mics would be more challenging when dealing with out-of phase issues. Had any noticeable issues with that? How did you overcome them?

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 30 2014, 09:56 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Oct 29 2014, 05:52 PM) *
I had a very interesting chat with Mike last night and he explained his new approach to me. It goes a bit like this:-
"As per normal I use 2 SM57's. One pointing at the Soundhole, slightly angled like you would when mic'ing a Cab, one at the Fingerboard, perpendicular and about halfway along the neck. Then I also use a Kick-drum Mic at the Soundhole to get a better Bass response. Finally I use an Omni-directional Mic about halfway between the player and the furthest wall to pick up the natural Reverb of the Room. There are no 'set' rules, as all the positioning is open for adjustment at any time. The main other thing to remember is to Double Track EACH Mic so you can play with the Panning whilst mixing. The Ambient Mic being panned hard left and hard right (about 85% each side) to give the feeling of the Room Space."
As he says, everything is open to adjustment and the best thing is to play around with things until you are happy with it all but these are good starting Guidelines!!
He also said he'd be interested in hearing the results if you do have a go at recording this way and if he can hear anything that he thinks he could help you with he'd be willing to do so!

Hey Neil, thanks a bunch man! I also had a talk with a friend who's a very experimented acoustic player and he knows a lot of stuff about recording acoustic guitars as well. He recommended the following mic:

http://www.thomann.de/ro/oktava_mk_01201_black_cardioid.htm

He said that getting a matched pair would also be a good solution, but I could very well do the job with just one mic, placed around the 12th fret and as you said, moving around it (keeping it as a center) in order to find the best position.

I will take both opinions into consideration and I will see what I get wink.gif I will also need to change my audio interface unfortunately, as I need an SPDIF in, so I decided to get this one:

http://www.thomann.de/ro/maudio_fast_track_c400.htm

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Nov 2 2014, 05:23 PM
QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Oct 29 2014, 08:54 PM) *
Seems like pairing mics would be more challenging when dealing with out-of phase issues. Had any noticeable issues with that? How did you overcome them?

Hey Chris, this setup is the way a friend of mine records. As far as I know he's not had any Phase issues, or not that he's mentioned at least! I'll ask him next time I see him and let you know what he says!!

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 30 2014, 09:56 AM) *
Hey Neil, thanks a bunch man! I also had a talk with a friend who's a very experimented acoustic player and he knows a lot of stuff about recording acoustic guitars as well. He recommended the following mic:

http://www.thomann.de/ro/oktava_mk_01201_black_cardioid.htm

He said that getting a matched pair would also be a good solution, but I could very well do the job with just one mic, placed around the 12th fret and as you said, moving around it (keeping it as a center) in order to find the best position.

I will take both opinions into consideration and I will see what I get wink.gif I will also need to change my audio interface unfortunately, as I need an SPDIF in, so I decided to get this one:

http://www.thomann.de/ro/maudio_fast_track_c400.htm

No worries Cos!
That looks like a nice Mic and Interface!!
Let me know how the recording goes!!
smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 3 2014, 08:22 AM
Instructor
Sure thing smile.gif I'll get the mics on Tuesday, so I delayed my recordings a bit wink.gif Thanks again man!

I will try both approaches - the one you suggested and the one suggested by my friend and I'll see what results I'll get smile.gif

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Nov 3 2014, 05:47 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 3 2014, 08:22 AM) *
Sure thing smile.gif I'll get the mics on Tuesday, so I delayed my recordings a bit wink.gif Thanks again man!

I will try both approaches - the one you suggested and the one suggested by my friend and I'll see what results I'll get smile.gif

I'll look forward to hearing your thoughts/results!!
smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 4 2014, 06:24 PM
Instructor
As soon as I will begin, I'll leave my thoughts here smile.gif Thank you once again!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 04:26 AM