2 Pages V  < 1 2  
My First 'real' Guitar - But I Need Advice!
Pavlov
Nov 14 2008, 11:24 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (MickeM @ Nov 14 2008, 11:21 AM) *
Focusing on the reach, LP and SG both have tilted necks which makes the reach to the lower frets even shorter.

Which is a good thing for me, right? Sounds fantastic.

I also know that the Mustang has a shorter-than-normal neck. But the Gibson/Epi models have an even bigger advantage in that regard?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Pavlov: Nov 14 2008, 11:27 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
Nov 14 2008, 11:45 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Pavlov @ Nov 14 2008, 11:24 AM) *
Which is a good thing for me, right? Sounds fantastic.

I also know that the Mustang has a shorter-than-normal neck. But the Gibson/Epi models have an even bigger advantage in that regard?

My guess is that you'll have a closer reach on the lower frets with LP or SG, Mustand has a shorter scale than Gibson (24" vs 24,75") but that doesn' tell anything about the reach, just the measure from the nut to the bridge. Where, at which fret, the strap locker sits could in fact have a bigger impact on the reach where as it could position the guitar a little to the right or to the left.

Still, you should try out the Mustand vs Gibson to find which is more comfortable for you. This ^ is only qualified guesses until someone states the facts.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Pavlov
Nov 22 2008, 07:47 PM
Hi!

After a week or so of indecision, this is my new 'axe'. I believe I can proudly call it that way.

<- Not mine, but the same looks.

It's a Gibson Les Paul Studio in worn brown. It was a bit of a hard decision, as I tried almost every guitar in the shop and ended up with two models - a Fender Highway One strat in sunburst, and this one. The highway one had a beautiful tone whereas this one is sort of 'rough'. I thought both had its charms. Both were equally playable. The highway one had a fantastic fast neck with strings you could easily push, but this neck seemed to be a bit shorter and friendlier for those barre chords.

I had however, promised myself that I'd not leave the shop with a standard sunburst strat - exactly what the fender was. Its amazing quality surprised me, however, but ultimately when both guitars were tied to me, I went for looks. And seeing as this was the very last of these Gibsons in that shop I had made up my mind. After all, I can always get another sunburst strat, but I felt that if this one escaped me I'd never be able to get it.

I got it for 800 euros, including the hardcase. Again, I'd like to thank each and every one of you for the advice.

The only problem I seem to have is fret buzzing on the lower (6th) e string. Highly annoying, not noticable through the amp.

This post has been edited by Pavlov: Nov 23 2008, 12:15 AM

+Quote Post
berko
Nov 22 2008, 08:27 PM
I can see that it's none of the guitars you have listed earlier, but this axe is incredible anyway!!!

Wise choice, may it serve you well!! wink.gif cool.gif

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post
Pavlov
Nov 22 2008, 08:29 PM
QUOTE (berko @ Nov 22 2008, 08:27 PM) *
I can see that it's none of the guitars you have listed earlier, but this axe is incredible anyway!!!

Wise choice, may it serve you well!! wink.gif cool.gif

Thanks!

Yeah, I didn't expect to walk away with a Les Paul that wasn't Zakk Wylde. Still, this one looks a bit more 'mature' and I thought, for potential resale value in the (very far, hopefully), it'd be wise to buy a Gibson.

I'm still on the lookout for a Mustang or Jag-stang to own, but that's mostly for collecting. This is just such a great instrument!

+Quote Post
Fran
Nov 22 2008, 10:20 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Cool axe, I wish you thousands of happy playing hours with it smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 08:58 AM