To Much Pickangle, Help?
jstcrsn
Apr 29 2009, 09:57 PM
Learning Tone Master
over the last couple of years i've been trying to figure out why i can not play alt picking . my original guitar teacher did not realize that i was not alt picking but rather down up down change strings down up down etc. I developed to much pick angle ,so that when i alt. pick correctly , i get to the point where i am playing outside the strings on string changes , the pick plucks the string so hard it either plays it to loud , i miss the string completely or i play the note off time . no matter what happens i am not playing very fast . Have i been playing with bad habits for so long that i will never be able to alt pick? been playing 20 years , can play live solos like crazytrain, symphony of destruction,perfectly but these solos don't have alt picking played outside the strings and it get frustrating seeing someone who's been playing 2 years do something i can mentally see and hear but can't get my fingers out of there bad habits. When i practice with correct pick angle i can not play faster then 120 notes per minute without loosing the pick. tried practicing with pinky down , pinky not touching guitar ,with metronome, will someone please shoot me! orrrrr tell me how to get over this hump

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
Apr 29 2009, 10:16 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
For how long have you been playing with the new technique?

When I changed my way of holding the pick and way of picking (after doing it "wrong" for 15 years) it took me a full two weeks after starting over and feeling like a complete newbie until I felt the new way felt more comfortable than the old way. Then it took off and I became more accurate and had more speed.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Apr 29 2009, 10:21 PM
Learning Tone Master
at least two months since i tried changing pick angle two and a half years of practicing alt. picking with what i would consider very little improvement.very frustrating !

This post has been edited by jstcrsn: Apr 29 2009, 10:24 PM

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 29 2009, 10:30 PM
Instructor
Don't get discouraged about one bad habit, remember - everything is fixable if you put your mind to it. Also don't forget that playing/practicing guitar should be FUN, and not frustrating, and it all comes down how we look at it. Try to see this as a new positive step forward, and just continue using the way that is more suitable for you now. Don't THINK too much WHEN you will start playing normally, just practice hard and the results should be visible.
If you are unsure, it would be good to upload some kind of a clip/picture where you show how you pick so we can actually see what is the problem.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Apr 29 2009, 10:32 PM
Instructor
I can't talk a lot about your pick angle (I don't see the way you hold the pick)
but pick angle is often changing during picking to get different sound, articulation etc,
many players do that and you should be aware of that as well.
I understood correctly you were playing economy picking only
for like 20 years and it must be tricky for you
to switch to pure alternate only, I can feel your pain.
But you have to be patient and focus on that heavily,
you shouldn't think a lot about how long it's gonna take tho,
it varies a lot from person to person + individual commitment,
just work on it and you'll get rid of old habits. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Apr 29 2009, 10:33 PM
Learning Tone Master
how do i do that , never have before , don't think i have the gear

+Quote Post
MickeM
Apr 29 2009, 10:39 PM
I suggest you drop everything and only practice the technique you desire. Nothing else! No fun riffs or anything but only the technique, scales, up and down the neck. A couple of hours a day.

I think it's most important to isolate what you want to learn and do only that. Repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat !!! When you do that soon it will be your prefered technique which your brain and muscle memory will make use of without you even have to think about it.

And don't be lazy, scales up and down using the desired technique, every day, several hours at a time to get it to stick.

EDIT: 20 years of playing doesn't change over night. It takes work.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Apr 29 2009, 10:47 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (MickeM @ Apr 29 2009, 11:39 PM) *
Repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat !!!

+1 the key

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Apr 29 2009, 10:53 PM
Learning Tone Master
i have and will keep on keepen on. thanks ! and still need to know how to upload for your laughter filled enjoyment

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Apr 29 2009, 10:57 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Apr 29 2009, 11:53 PM) *
i have and will keep on keepen on. thanks ! and still need to know how to upload for your laughter filled enjoyment

If you wanna upload video the best way is to
upload it to Youtube first and then paste embed code here in forum.
And if you wanna upload mp3 only then you need to use attachment feature
which is open when you're writing or replying to thread/topic,
upload file then click on "add to post" option, ain't that hard to find. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
MickeM
Apr 29 2009, 11:00 PM
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Apr 29 2009, 11:53 PM) *

No one will laugh smile.gif

There's a part of the forum called "Uploads". Go there.

Below the text frame there's another box for attachments. Browse the file and press upload. Then "Manage current attachmentns" and press the green add sign.

EDIT: For videos, like Muris said, youtube is the best source.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 29 2009, 11:03 PM
Instructor
No one will laugh that's for sure we're here to help you man! smile.gif

If you have a webcam or a photo camera that can shoto video, record something zoomed in on your picking hand and make sure it is visible.
But as Muris and MickeM nicely said, don't feel discouraged at all, picking technique is something that changes and evolves as you progress and learn new stuff, so it is perfectly normal that you want to change it.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Apr 29 2009, 11:06 PM
Learning Tone Master
nevermind,i just erased my last post because ivans told me what to do Thanks . if i have enough time to record i'll try but, if i can find time ,practice comes before recording . peace.

This post has been edited by jstcrsn: Apr 29 2009, 11:11 PM

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Apr 29 2009, 11:09 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Apr 30 2009, 12:06 AM) *
how do i record myself for you tube , do i need a web cam

Some kind of cam you DO need, regular cam or web cam, doesn't matter,
anything that can record video. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
superize
Apr 30 2009, 07:52 AM
Ultimate Tone Guru
It takes some time to learn a new pick technuiqe so you need to play it super slow and make sure you get it right

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
May 1 2009, 02:11 AM
GMC:er
Playing with the metronome will help to.

Hold the pick and let you hand be very relaxed and just start slow and play with the metronome at whatever speed your heart desires.

You want to try to build muscle memory in your hands so your fingers within the switch of a "button"
can go between Economy and Alternate.

And monitering your progress with a Metronome can make the : REPEAT REPEAT REPEAT method a little bit more fun.

See ya smile.gif

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
May 1 2009, 11:59 AM
Instructor
I agree with Muris here.

Picking angle is changed mostly to determine some sort of special effect in sound. Whether its pinched harmonic, warmer or sharped sound, it all depends where you play and how you hold the pick.
Remember also that sound that you produce is also in left hand. Think about how hard or soft you are pressing the string, what finger you are using etc. All this determines the sound that you get.
Don't even get me started on picks ! Playing the same passage on the same place with different pick gives you different sound !

What I am trying to say is, don't feel discouraged at all. I have seen many students that hold pick in a very weird way (in my opinion) but since they were practicing that way for long time, it became normal to them. I would never be able to pick that way , it would take me ages to do it , as it would take them the same to relearn my way of holding pick !

Things aren't bad as you think just focus on the sound itself and expression, picking is just a tool that lets you express yourself. If you are unhappy with your sound, change it, if on the other side you are happy with your sound - stick to it - no matter what others might tell you.

Best of luck smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
May 1 2009, 10:41 PM
Jazz Instructor
I did same thing, same mistake. Not changing picking when I change string, for about 2 years, then I read in Petrucci's book that you actually have to do alternate picking all the time:) I started practicing like crazy 4-5 hours daily only technique, and....it helped:)

Alot!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 10:16 AM