It Is Starting To Make Sense!
JTaylor
May 28 2012, 05:06 PM
Apprentice Roadie
I have often wondered just how the exercises I have been learning here are supposed to really help. Last night, I started seeing it! I only play rhythm but even playing rhythm to a lot of songs has been very difficult for me. There is a song I have liked for over 20 years. It is by a group called Ratt (real big group in the 80's) and is called "Nobody Rides for Free." At times, I have tried learning the rhythm to it and became so frustrated that I quit trying for months.
After practicing with various GMC lessons (all level 2 and 3) for about 6 months now, I decided to have another go at it yesterday afternoon. I cannot believe how much easier it is! Parts that were insurmountable are actually playable now! I have learned over half the song and am able to play it at full tempo. This is a HUGE milestone for me. So, to instructors and fellow students alike, I thank all of you for the help and inspiration you have been giving. I look forward to more improvement! biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nihilist1
May 28 2012, 05:18 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (JTaylor @ May 28 2012, 04:06 PM) *
I have often wondered just how the exercises I have been learning here are supposed to really help. Last night, I started seeing it! I only play rhythm but even playing rhythm to a lot of songs has been very difficult for me. There is a song I have liked for over 20 years. It is by a group called Ratt (real big group in the 80's) and is called "Nobody Rides for Free." At times, I have tried learning the rhythm to it and became so frustrated that I quit trying for months.
After practicing with various GMC lessons (all level 2 and 3) for about 6 months now, I decided to have another go at it yesterday afternoon. I cannot believe how much easier it is! Parts that were insurmountable are actually playable now! I have learned over half the song and am able to play it at full tempo. This is a HUGE milestone for me. So, to instructors and fellow students alike, I thank all of you for the help and inspiration you have been giving. I look forward to more improvement! biggrin.gif

Just wait until you are playing all of 'Round and Round' wink.gif

That is still the greatest hair metal solo of all time. I have to go find my copy of 'Out of the Cellar' and listen to it now.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
All the elders have fallen down...

Heal her now...

All the elders have fallen down...

Heal her now...

Grandfather elk
Turned to me
And spoke:

Light the fire deep inside.
Light the fires!

+Quote Post
Opetholic
May 28 2012, 05:25 PM
Learning Guitar Lord
QUOTE (JTaylor @ May 28 2012, 04:06 PM) *

Sounds great man! Congratulations. Hope this kind of improvement gives you more enthusiasm to practice more and get better and better smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 28 2012, 05:47 PM
Instructor
Great thread mate! I'm glad to read this and thanks for sharing your experience here!
This will really motivate everybody here. smile.gif
Keep on the hard work!!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 28 2012, 06:40 PM
Instructor
This is great to hear, Jon ! It all creeps up on you when you're not looking smile.gif

+Quote Post
carminemarotta
May 28 2012, 10:59 PM
GMC:er
Thanks for sharing.
This is really what I want to achieve. Will keep me motivated.

Regards,
Carmine

+Quote Post
Dinaga
May 29 2012, 01:31 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Congrats mate! smile.gif I'm very happy for your success, and you did it because you practiced the right way! If you had started with lessons which are too hard you'd never learn anything properly and that's what most people do in the beginning, and then wonder why they didn't make any real progress. Just keep on practicing and have fun smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
maharzan
May 29 2012, 02:34 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
And ain't that fun now ? Thats why I am trying to get as much RECs as possible and following mentoring programs. It should all come to one piece sooner or later. Congrats man!

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
awat
May 30 2012, 05:11 AM
GMC:er
Rhythm playing is very important. Play a Dmin7 chord, now make that chord sound funky or reggae or rock sounding, but only use different strumming patterns. Get the point :-).
I did not play guitar in the 80s, but as I hear more and more of it. The solos sound like minor petatonic scales mixed with Dorian mode of music. I can see the minor pent scale shape in the dorian scale shape if you start with C ionian then the next mode D dorian that minor pent shape is in it, so it is easy to go between the 2. Even though I have not been playing guitar long, theory is important
and analyzing the songs you are learnining is important as well.

Tony

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 31 2012, 09:41 AM
Instructor
Congratulations Jon! smile.gif I'm glad you are starting to feel the good things coming into your guitar playing biggrin.gif

Your words are a real motivation for a lot of people here, so keep up the good work and we'll be here to help as well wink.gif

Cosmin

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 01:52 PM