2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Question On Alternate Picking - String Changing, Finally put a video about it on YT!
dark dude
Jan 22 2013, 02:09 PM
GMC:er
Record yourself playing at higher speeds and you'll be able to analyse it a lot better afterwards, as opposed to in the heat of the moment. You can also try playing with less gain (however, I'd practice with a clean sound and with a high gain sound, as both present their own difficulties).

I wouldn't suggest spending large amounts of time on exercises that don't really have any real-world usage. It's demotivating as you'll spend so much time doing your chromatics, open string exercises, etc and after all that effort, you'll still need to get used to playing something you enjoy hearing. Try to pick licks that appear in the genres you enjoy listening to, but licks that include the technique you want to work on.

Bursts are a fantastic way to build up speed and technique. Careful with your hands though, if they start to hurt after playing high speed bursts for a while, then shake it off, take a break. If you have multiple times in the day at which you can play, I'd advise doing lick #1 for a few minutes, then go onto something else. Take a break, then come back to the licks, starting at #1 again (as opposed to playing lick #1 for a long time, then not touching it again that day). It seems to help me build muscle memory and stamina faster.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by dark dude: Jan 22 2013, 02:09 PM

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 22 2013, 02:58 PM
Instructor
Darkdude is right smile.gif say - let me propose you a deal smile.gif pick up your favorite speed lick, learn it and post a video where you play it very slow and post one each time you go up 5 BPM. The purpose is to keep a clean, tight technique in perfect timing and have means to observe yourself and to allow us to help out on your progress tongue.gif How does that sound?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
dark dude
Jan 22 2013, 03:00 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 22 2013, 01:58 PM) *
Darkdude is right smile.gif say - let me propose you a deal smile.gif pick up your favorite speed lick, learn it and post a video where you play it very slow and post one each time you go up 5 BPM. The purpose is to keep a clean, tight technique in perfect timing and have means to observe yourself and to allow us to help out on your progress tongue.gif How does that sound?

Sweet idea.

dairwolf, the stage is yours wink.gif

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 23 2013, 11:26 AM
Instructor
Thank you Adam - dairwolf - what say you? smile.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 24 2013, 01:38 AM
What your suggesting in this post is a fine way forward smile.gif I wouldn't say you "never" need to go beyond burst mode, but that really isn't important yet. Just keep moving forward keeping an eye on your technique. Using all the tips that have been talked about. To be honest, I"d say take a look at my lesson series as it focuses HEAVILY ON alternate picking. Start with LESSON 1 and work your way up. You are also more than welcome to join my SHRED BOOTCAMP smile.gif

http://bit.ly/twtcgmc

As for hitting other strings without meaning to. PALM MUTE!!!! That way you can get used to muting the strings you are not trying to hit. I've seen players ignore their muting and end up having to use strings mutes or scrunchies, or sweat bands to reduce string noise.

Todd

QUOTE (dairwolf @ Jan 22 2013, 07:57 AM) *
Thank you all very much for your responses.

The video by Paul Gilbert about the van Halen style lick is pretty cool, I didn´t know that one yet.

I actually noticed something. I might have been practicing my problem movement in a wrong way.
What I did until now was the following: Set the metronome to a certain tempo (I think my maximum speed was somewhere around 120 BPM, four notes per beat), then practice the move for a couple of minutes. So basically I did it like this:

(random strings)

G--0----0---0---0----0---0---0---0---0---0-----------------------
D----0----0---0---0----0---0---0---0---0---0---------------------

and on and on and on...

Now the thing I noticed is this: You hardly ever need to do that specific movement as long as this at a high tempo (let´s say 200BPM), right?
For example, in the famous Paul Gilbert lick, there are actually three strings skips.

G-------------9--------------------
D--9-10-12-----12-10-9--------

There are other cases where you have to play four fast string skips in a row (for example going down the pentatonic in steps of three).

However, the point I am trying to make is this:

I think that praciticing fast string changes in a "bursting" manner is better than going for stamina because you hardly ever need to play five, six or even more string changes very fast, right?

So what I am trying to practice now is this: doing two, three or four string changes, then a very short break, and then repeat. Do you know what I mean? I´d really like to know what you think about it and how you practice it.

Finally, I´d like to know if someone knows a good exercise if I have the following problem: When I am practicing fast string changes, I actually don´t really know whether I am hitting a string unintendedly or not because of the high tempo! In other words, I don´t know if I sometimes hit two strings with one strokes or if I manage to get over the next string. Any help?

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 24 2013, 10:05 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 24 2013, 12:38 AM) *
What your suggesting in this post is a fine way forward smile.gif I wouldn't say you "never" need to go beyond burst mode, but that really isn't important yet. Just keep moving forward keeping an eye on your technique. Using all the tips that have been talked about. To be honest, I"d say take a look at my lesson series as it focuses HEAVILY ON alternate picking. Start with LESSON 1 and work your way up. You are also more than welcome to join my SHRED BOOTCAMP smile.gif

http://bit.ly/twtcgmc

As for hitting other strings without meaning to. PALM MUTE!!!! That way you can get used to muting the strings you are not trying to hit. I've seen players ignore their muting and end up having to use strings mutes or scrunchies, or sweat bands to reduce string noise.

Todd

Aside Guthrie Govan tongue.gif he is allowed to use a scrunchie because he has a good reason biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 24 2013, 10:33 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 24 2013, 04:05 AM) *
Aside Guthrie Govan tongue.gif he is allowed to use a scrunchie because he has a good reason biggrin.gif

We can give Guthrie a pass on this one smile.gif He's earned it.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 11:08 PM