Help! Never Recorded Before
Iron King
Feb 7 2008, 09:31 AM
GMC:er
Hi,

I just looked through the pinned articles but there are so many programs and I don't know where to start.

All I want to do is be able to plug in my guitar and record riffs with a good tone. I've heard good things about Guitar Rig and I know someone that uses some Line 6 products, but nearly all of the products I find online are hundreds of dollars.

What do the instructors do to record their lessons and backing tracks?

thanks

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Feb 7 2008, 09:44 AM
Get to da Chopper!
Well first thing before software you'll need either a mic (to record from your amp) or an audio interface (so that you can plug into you computer). Do you have one of these yet?

There are some effects processors like the Pod family (POd xt live, X3 etc..) or like Muris uses the Pandora (the new px5d is good) both have an audio interface so that you can record...

guitar--->processor with interface----> computer

then you can choose your software

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Iron King
Feb 7 2008, 10:14 AM
ok, so if I buy the POD XT, I would do

guitar -> POD -> Computer

then I can use the software that comes with the pod to record and edit

cool, thanks

just out of curiosity... If I were to plug my guitar into my distortion pedal and then into my sound card, would I be able to record using the basic recording device on my computer? or will that make my computer explode?

This post has been edited by Iron King: Feb 7 2008, 10:15 AM

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Feb 7 2008, 11:01 AM
QUOTE (Iron King @ Feb 7 2008, 09:14 AM) *
ok, so if I buy the POD XT, I would do

guitar -> POD -> Computer

then I can use the software that comes with the pod to record and edit

cool, thanks

just out of curiosity... If I were to plug my guitar into my distortion pedal and then into my sound card, would I be able to record using the basic recording device on my computer? or will that make my computer explode?

I've destroyed a sound card by doing that before. It really isn't advised. You can mic up your amp and it should be fine but I'd just buy a Toneport UX1 or UX2 as they are fairly cheap and that has program with it to get perfect tone for you and you can record using Reaper, Sonar or Cubase depending on what you prefer/can afford.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Feb 7 2008, 11:10 AM
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Feb 7 2008, 11:01 AM) *
I've destroyed a sound card by doing that before. It really isn't advised. You can mic up your amp and it should be fine but I'd just buy a Toneport UX1 or UX2 as they are fairly cheap and that has program with it to get perfect tone for you and you can record using Reaper, Sonar or Cubase depending on what you prefer/can afford.

I'm not sure what you ment with this.
You don't need to connect the POD to a soundcard, you shouldn't be needing a soundcard at all actually.
You CAN connect to a soundcard to get monitoring through PC-connected speakers, but that's not a problem. It's just like connecting anything else to the soundcard. If you do things wrong it can go bad.

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Feb 7 2008, 11:11 AM
QUOTE (blindwillie @ Feb 7 2008, 10:10 AM) *
I'm not sure what you ment with this.
You don't need to connect the POD to a soundcard, you shouldn't be needing a soundcard at all actually.
You CAN connect to a soundcard to get monitoring through PC-connected speakers, but that's not a problem. It's just like connecting anything else to the soundcard. If you do things wrong it can go bad.

I was talking about connecting guitar through distortion pedal straight to sound card that Iron King asked about. Not through POD as that is USB isn't it?

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Feb 7 2008, 11:22 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I have a multieffect pedal, they come in very cheap if you don't want the best. Mine was 60$ and it's ok for recording. Before having the multi FX I just plugged had a mic in front of my amp, or I put a jack in the headphone out and then in my pc's line in! That works great aswell.

The pedal I use is a Korg AX5G, it has an expression pedal and a lot of effects. If you want even cheaper there's the AX3G which doesn't have an expression pedal, but you can record with that aswell. If you dont' have a lot of money, then then a Pod can be very expensive.. I'm 14 years old so for me the price was way to high. The Pocket Pod is a bit cheaper..

If you want to hear how the recording sounds, just check out my take on the rocker style ballad.

grtz, kaz

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Feb 7 2008, 11:51 AM
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Feb 7 2008, 11:11 AM) *
I was talking about connecting guitar through distortion pedal straight to sound card that Iron King asked about. Not through POD as that is USB isn't it?

Ah, roger. Stupid me.
Yeas, the later PODs are USB.

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 7 2008, 03:39 PM
Instructor
You can check out my Toneport UX1 review here, and go to Ebay to check out prices. You get Ableton Lite and Gearbox with the hardware - plenty enough to get you started for the money if you ask me.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
Feb 8 2008, 12:23 AM
Instructor
you can connect any pedal or multi effect to the sound card directly .cause the pedal and multi effect doesnt powered
but if you want to connect your amp you have to plug the line out from the amp to the sound card thats send only signal fromyour amp to the sound card.
it will work good .finally any power go throw the sound card can damage your PC. only signals .for the soft wares recording these are studio tracking you can record your music and mix down it and adding some effects ...have a nice day

+Quote Post
Iron King
Feb 8 2008, 06:23 AM
thanks for all the help guys

+Quote Post
Dejan Farkas
Feb 8 2008, 02:10 PM
Instructor
check this one wink.gif

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/JamLab-main.html

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 10 2008, 06:48 PM
Instructor
No problem. We're glad to help smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 09:07 AM