How to practice the guitar - video lesson, Not one day to early..??
Kristofer Dahl
Nov 13 2006, 01:15 PM
GMC Founder
How to practice the guitar video lesson

In this week's lesson we will go through what to do with your first third of your practice session. The rest is explained next week.

My first idea was to make whole serie out of this - but as I realised there was an urgent need, so I decided to put together something a bit "lighter".

The provided backing track will be further explained next week. I hope this can be an eye-opener for those of you who aren't quite sure what to include in their practice session.

Oh - and watch out for the bonus update this Thursday!

--Kris biggrin.gif

[Comments/questions in the feedback section under the lesson article]

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Matt_Herd
Nov 13 2006, 05:00 PM
GMC:er
Sounds great! biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
xhernan
Nov 13 2006, 07:33 PM
Bonus update on thursday!!

CHEER!

+Quote Post
recklessftw
Nov 15 2006, 06:19 PM
Right on Kris!

This was one of the biggest things I've struggled with after getting serious about guitar... how to practice. I like the idea of thrids because I've usually got just an hour a day to practice during a weekday because of a job and wife. This is a great way to get the best out of my time which is important to me.

Thanks Kris.

+Quote Post
BollyRotten
Nov 15 2006, 11:24 PM
Im finding those exersises hard! is it just me?
Still find tab hard as im a lefty and always get it the wrong way round! only on scale pattern tabs where no fret number is shown. Im pritty fed up with my playing a the mo. My private tutor has moved away and i have no one to jam with/ learn from. Show me something and i can play it , sit me down with a tab and im lost!
This practise regeme is a good thing and i know my problems , i like to play things i can play and dont push myself to learn new stuff, (i fall at the first hurdle!) I know scales and improvise of a fashon with backing tracks.
My problem is everyone seems to be obsesed with playing fast!!! Kris you play way to fast in the practice video (for me anyhow) My co ordination goes to pot. Im having a hard enough time understanding what note sequence i should play ( using Kris's example) im going 9-12-11-12 instead of 9-12-10-12 and already cannot seem to break this habit lol. Im sorry if it sounds like im moaning, i just get dissheartened seeing people playing fast so easly, when after 3 years im still really slow!!!!!!

--------------------
I need more fingers!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Nov 16 2006, 09:01 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (BollyRotten @ Nov 16 2006, 01:24 AM) *
Im finding those exersises hard! is it just me?
Still find tab hard as im a lefty and always get it the wrong way round! only on scale pattern tabs where no fret number is shown. Im pritty fed up with my playing a the mo. My private tutor has moved away and i have no one to jam with/ learn from. Show me something and i can play it , sit me down with a tab and im lost!
This practise regeme is a good thing and i know my problems , i like to play things i can play and dont push myself to learn new stuff, (i fall at the first hurdle!) I know scales and improvise of a fashon with backing tracks.
My problem is everyone seems to be obsesed with playing fast!!! Kris you play way to fast in the practice video (for me anyhow) My co ordination goes to pot. Im having a hard enough time understanding what note sequence i should play ( using Kris's example) im going 9-12-11-12 instead of 9-12-10-12 and already cannot seem to break this habit lol. Im sorry if it sounds like im moaning, i just get dissheartened seeing people playing fast so easly, when after 3 years im still really slow!!!!!!

How fast you want play an exercise is completely up to you. I often demonstrate the examples slow and very fast. From my private instruction I have found that the "very fast" bit tend to inspire people - and that's of course a good effect - it make people practice.

If you aren't comfortable with tabs - you might have a slight problem with the lesson. I'll see if I can slow things down even more in the future... smile.gif

--Kris

--------------------

+Quote Post
BollyRotten
Nov 16 2006, 04:08 PM
I think it was more to do with the camera angle, when you showed the slow bits i coulkd not quite see what notes you were playing, then when you speeded it up i didnt stand a chance lol.
I want to play faster but after 3 years surely i sould be improving! however i feel that anything i play thats not a pentatonic chromatic scale is far to slow.
I here that to train you muscle memory you should play very slow to start and every time you make a mistake rather than carry on you should stop and start again. Im now finding this very true with excersise. Your example in this lesson has prooved this. the fact that i read the tab wrong ment i was playing it wrong. Now im trying to play it right, i keep playing the exercise how i used to. How annoying is that.

Kris i dont think you need to slow it down that much, its just me moaning because of my bad habbits. The tabs are ok mate like i say im only stuck with scale patterns that do not show the fret numbers as i have to reverse it for my left handed issue. Thanks though Kris.

--------------------
I need more fingers!

+Quote Post
raqroso
Nov 17 2006, 06:23 PM
Kris:

When you play real fast in the lessons what metronome speed does that translate to?

In 16th note triplets for example.... not your max/top speed but in some of the examples when you
just do some fast runs .... how fast are you playing?

16th note tripplets I max out at 70 .... when you play fast are you over 90? 100?

It would give me a goal if I knew... other guys too I'm sure.

THanks in advance

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Nov 17 2006, 08:45 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE ([email protected] @ Nov 17 2006, 08:23 PM) *
Kris:

When you play real fast in the lessons what metronome speed does that translate to?

In 16th note triplets for example.... not your max/top speed but in some of the examples when you
just do some fast runs .... how fast are you playing?

16th note tripplets I max out at 70 .... when you play fast are you over 90? 100?

It would give me a goal if I knew... other guys too I'm sure.

THanks in advance

I do intend to give the exact bplm in the sticky thread we have for that - just haven't got to it yet.

An estimation for 16th note triplets would be around 140 bpm with legato and maybe around 120 with picking. This is of course with my most "comfortbale" exercises... smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:32 PM