New Amp, marshall etc. which brand?
Giacinto
Dec 27 2007, 05:46 PM
GMC:er
hi guys,
recently bought a jem 7v and i got some money left so i wanted to ask you for your opininions.
thing is: the jem sounds not that good as i expected and i guess its due to my amp which is not that good
"fender frontman 25r"~ ca. 110 €.
can you give me any good suggestions for a new amp? i tend to buy marshall, because i heard the distortion is really nice but i have not kept track of an explicit amp.

also do i have to keep my pickups in mind buying a new amp or do they work good with everything ( dimarzio evo).

ah and i dont want to spend more than 460 if possible ~ except for much a better amp that costs 470 or so biggrin.gif

thanks! laugh.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
Dec 27 2007, 08:44 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Giacinto @ Dec 27 2007, 05:46 PM) *
also do i have to keep my pickups in mind buying a new amp or do they work good with everything ( dimarzio evo).

Keep those!

About amps.
Hughes and Kettner Edition Blue DFX (60W) for a good solid state
Laney LC 15R a small tube amp
Peavey Valve King 1x12 50W for a bang for the buck tube amp made in china

H&K has one called Edition Tube, 20W for about €550 in mid europe.

Whare do you live?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Giacinto
Dec 27 2007, 08:50 PM
hey i live in germany.
i forgot to say : it would be good if the amp has got "almost" no effects, maybe just reverb or so because i want to pay for the tone quality not for the effects and im anyway going to buy effects later or.
ah i forget to say i had an H&K amp that was total crap for around 120€, gave it away years ago, so please no H&K biggrin.gif
cheers

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Dec 27 2007, 08:57 PM
Instructor
I never liked Fender amps, so I think that's the problem, hehe, so you are right thinking in selling another one. I'm not gonna recomend any amps because I love Marshall so I don't have a good point of view tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Pavel
Dec 27 2007, 08:59 PM
Instructor
Yeah right, go ahead, buy new pickups.....man i bought JEM because of those pickups biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Amps below 50Watts should be forbidden worldwide - you can't judge about guitar playing on a 25Watts amp! smile.gif Also - if you want to judge about guitar you better get a good distortion sound because guitar itself doesn't affect distortion too much - maybe just a bit of difference in gain presentation. What i like about high quality guitars is how you can easily make them scream with harmonics and screamy vibrato smile.gif So that's what you can easily do with JEM

Marshall AVT50 can easily do the trick for you smile.gif It only has reverb - it's a mix of tubes and solid state technology so you can play it on low volume.

This post has been edited by Pavel: Dec 27 2007, 09:04 PM

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
MickeM
Dec 27 2007, 09:10 PM
QUOTE (Giacinto @ Dec 27 2007, 08:50 PM) *
hey i live in germany.
i forgot to say : it would be good if the amp has got "almost" no effects, maybe just reverb or so because i want to pay for the tone quality not for the effects and im anyway going to buy effects later or.
ah i forget to say i had an H&K amp that was total crap for around 120€, gave it away years ago, so please no H&K biggrin.gif
cheers

I'm suggesting H&K since it's be best amp I've ever owned. But the cost wasn't 120€, more like 1200€ laugh.gif

But so you want a solid state or tube amp? I think it's very wise of you to go for a "clean" amp. Make sure it's got a send and return when you can plug in effects and like you said, a reverb is nice.
So I'd still stubbornly say, the H&K Edition tube laugh.gif

Or the Peavey classic 30, has a great clean for your effects and the lead channel is very bluesy. But it's more expensive.

Otherwise if you wanna go cheap and take your chanses maybe musicstore.de has something... GTA-40 combo eh? I have no clue to what it is but looks cheap and with a couple 5881 it's certainly clean for when you add your effects later on.

+Quote Post
Giacinto
Dec 27 2007, 09:14 PM
nonono you got me wrong i dont want to change the pickups i just wanted to know if they affect my sound so that some amps work better with them : D

http://www.musicstore.de/is-bin/INTERSHOP....mpTo=OfferList#
i think thats the amp your talking about right? was also looking forward to this one! have to check it soon thanks! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Pavel
Dec 27 2007, 09:21 PM
Instructor
Oh, ok i understand you! smile.gif

I have the AVT50 and the one in the link is AVT50x which is a newer model and i think Ivan owns it and did a review on it! It sure is a great amp so check it out for yourself! smile.gif I hope you like it.

Here is the link to the review on our forum: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...?showtopic=8830

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

+Quote Post
MickeM
Dec 27 2007, 09:25 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Dec 27 2007, 08:59 PM) *
Amps below 50Watts should be forbidden worldwide - you can't judge about guitar playing on a 25Watts amp! smile.gif

laugh.gif don't get me started! 25W has 80% of the loudness of a 50W amp. But the 25W (tube amps ok!) will work harder and sound better when they are set at the same loudness.

I've tested the Orange 7/15W tiny terror on a 4x12 cab... it's too loud already at 7W. cool.gif
I didn't like it at that time btw... now 6 months later it has shrunk in a bit and I think it's pretty neat. But perhaps a 3/7W amp would be better for home.

+Quote Post
Pavel
Dec 27 2007, 10:12 PM
Instructor
The loudness can be the same but the sound quality makes huge difference. A friend of mine has a 30 Watts Marshall and i have 50Watt Marshall - i tried them with the same pedals and guitars - the difference is H.U.G.E! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Dec 27 2007, 11:20 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Dec 27 2007, 10:12 PM) *
The loudness can be the same but the sound quality makes huge difference. A friend of mine has a 30 Watts Marshall and i have 50Watt Marshall - i tried them with the same pedals and guitars - the difference is H.U.G.E! smile.gif

Both AVT's?

It may be that the difference in loudness is caught as HUGE but in fact it's not. Given we're comparing apples with apples (tubeamp vs tubeamp) it's a fact that 30W is about 85-90% of 50W (25W as mentioned earlier is 80% of the 50W's loudness). But in a side by side situation the 50W will be heard more and understood as "much louder" since it's the one being heard. It drowns the 30W at that point.
We had that experience when rehearsing when my buddy had a 50W Marshall (something like the AVT I belive, but older, has a preamp tube) and drowned my 30W Peavey when we turned up the volume. Then when I used my 100W against his 50W it was the opposite. And at the moment one amp is taking over just a little bit it happens too easy that the other gets drowned.

If you refered to sound quality I don't relly get the point that a 50W should have better sound quality than a 30W. mellow.gif

This post has been edited by MickeM: Dec 27 2007, 11:39 PM

+Quote Post
Pavel
Dec 28 2007, 01:45 AM
Instructor
Yep i was referring to sound quality. And it WAS a big difference. In the end we all pick up the amp which sounds best to us. I tried JEM with smaller AMP and it sucked....maybe it was just my experience but i know it sucked.

This post has been edited by Pavel: Dec 28 2007, 01:50 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Dec 28 2007, 01:01 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Dec 28 2007, 01:45 AM) *
Yep i was referring to sound quality. And it WAS a big difference. In the end we all pick up the amp which sounds best to us. I tried JEM with smaller AMP and it sucked....maybe it was just my experience but i know it sucked.

Alright that is very well a fact since it's personal experience, can't argue with that, but I'm positive that has nothing to do with whether it says 30, 50 or 100W on the amp. Probably the one sounding worse had some problems or Marshall maybe built them differently?
Regarding tube amps ->30W can often be eqipped with EL84 wile a 50W likely has EL34 tubes, and the character between the two is different. So then if playing the 30W and expecting it to sound like the 50W will be a disappointment. And vice verca.
It also happened to my buddy who I mentioned earlier in this thread, with an old Marshall that sound great. His amp is getting old so he was trying out the exact same model to replace it with but never found one that sounded as good as his. ...probably Marshall should buy his for research laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Giacinto
Dec 28 2007, 04:20 PM
"probably Marshall should buy his for research" lol biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 29 2007, 06:07 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Pavel @ Dec 27 2007, 10:12 PM) *

The sound quality does not neccecarily depends on power of the amp. As I said earlier on my review, the locall bluesguy I know is playing with his Marshall Studio 15W tube amp everywhere and it sounds great, so when you give this type of constatation, please tell us what exactly 30W Marshalls are you referring to. The difference is not so huge, excpecially if you puyt AVT50W and some all tube40W. Off cource all tube 40W will blow it away, both in terms of loudness and quality. If you are saying that your friends Marshall 30W is not so good, than I think you have a responsibility to write that 30W Marshall is NOT tube amp at all and that it has a 10" speaker. That is not far comparison.

This post has been edited by Milenkovic Ivan: Dec 29 2007, 06:07 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:52 PM