> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

23 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > »   
Tom51's Practice Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 26 2015, 07:49 PM
Instructor
Hi Tom, the lesson is evolving good but I feel that you should complement this work with some technique exercises that help you take this techniques to the next level:

- Alternate picking
- Vibrato
- Bending
- Legato

How much time per day do you have to play guitar?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tom51
Jul 27 2015, 08:02 AM
Learning Roadie
Hi Gab,
usually I spend 2 hours daily on my practise. The detailed schedule was last week this one:
(Maybe I am "overoptimzing" things - but I just try to compensate my slow learning a little with a clear to do list)

30min Warmup, theory and ear training
5min= learn notes on fret 1-12
20min= ear training (I recorded some intervals and single notes for me to hear ands sing...)
5min = stretching and warmup, playing a simply scale as clean as possible (G or Am pentatonic)

45min Chords and Rhythm (15min per lesson)
5 String Barre
Slash Chords
Oasis Style

15min Fingerpicking Pattern
Mandorino lesson (we will have to change for something new soon, I loose concentration on this)

30min Bending and Vibrato
Buckethead lesson

I always want to improve my tone but end up having no time left for this.

Not sure If I unterstood your thoughts behind the question? Do you just want me to work on technique exercises intensely to get a big improvement with the buckethead lesson?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Tom51: Jul 27 2015, 08:04 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 27 2015, 02:33 PM
Instructor
Thanks mate. Let's try a small change for this week to see how it works. Ok?

20 min Warmup, theory and ear training
5min= learn notes on fret 1-12
10min= ear training (I recorded some intervals and single notes for me to hear ands sing...)
5min = stretching and warmup, playing a simply scale as clean as possible (G or Am pentatonic)

15 min Chords and Rhythm
Oasis Style

75 min technique workout
25 minutes - Bending: https://youtu.be/Hh_pYY6UYIw (practice the exercises over backing tracks)
25 minutes - Vibrato: https://youtu.be/4Lo9DSA4wXk (practice the exercises over backing tracks)
25 minutes - Alternate Picking https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Altern...Picking-Basics/ (check the spoken videos and practice the last vid exercise)

10min
Buckethead lesson

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Tom51
Jul 27 2015, 03:02 PM
Learning Roadie
OK Gab - I will start today with the new plan.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 27 2015, 03:03 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Tom51 @ Jul 27 2015, 11:02 AM) *
OK Gab - I will start today with the new plan.

Great! Please keep me updated.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Tom51
Aug 2 2015, 04:38 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Gab,
last five days I worked with the new schedule that has the 75 min technique workout. I feel that it is very useful although its hard to get 75min done. I usually end up with 60min. Also the idea to have a backing track during the bending and vibrato workout is really good.

I recorded a new Buckethead take. The 16th notes licks are still not tight but its getting better each day. Bends and timing should also much better now. About vibrato: I feel its wide and fast enough. Is that right?
The more I work on this lesson the more little thing I hear that I need to improve ohmy.gif
I have no idea how to get a good tone on this.

https://youtu.be/MaHLVoeYyEY

Oasis Lesson: Still do not get the change into the middle part (from G to F Barre) fast enough but working on it.

I will post the 5 sting barre lesson at REC to get some further feedback. I have been working on it about 3month and I will not significantly improve at my current level. I am somewhat tired now.
Will play 5/6 string barre lessons or own progressions daily a few times to keep these chord in mind. (warmup)
Maybe we find a new lesson here or use a backing where I have to play a own chord progression and strumming pattern?

All the best, Tom.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 3 2015, 06:01 PM
Instructor
Hi Tom! This new video shows that the current plan is good for you at this moment. I notice improvements on the technique elements that I've marked so we are on the right track!

I extremely recommend you to continue with the current plan for another 10 days in order to keep on improving the different required elements. As you've said, picking is better and require more polishing (be careful with timing), vibrato is getting better and bends are reaching the correct pitch most of the times.

On a side note, it would be good if you can mix the backing louder on your future videos.

For playing your own ideas, what about creating your backing tracks with Reaper?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Tom51
Aug 3 2015, 06:14 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Aug 3 2015, 05:01 PM) *
Hi Tom! This new video shows that the current plan is good for you at this moment. I notice improvements on the technique elements that I've marked so we are on the right track!

I extremely recommend you to continue with the current plan for another 10 days in order to keep on improving the different required elements. As you've said, picking is better and require more polishing (be careful with timing), vibrato is getting better and bends are reaching the correct pitch most of the times.

On a side note, it would be good if you can mix the backing louder on your future videos.

For playing your own ideas, what about creating your backing tracks with Reaper?

Okay...will do so. I alway had the backing -6db compared to my recorded playing. No idea where I got this from but I will change that with the next recording.

- What do you mean with creating backing tracks with Reaper? (btw. I use Cubase Elements - but that should work too)

- Can we add an alternate picking lesson instead of Darius lesson that is more musical (like Tycho?). I could also join the timing workout?

Ahmm...I should have better listened to your advise to ask before posting a take to REC . I do not want to end up with that detuned mediocre chord performance there. Will give it a few extra minutes each day to work on. I also learned that I need a more suitable sound next time. So I will record from my Amp directly with a crunchy sound (instead of GuitarRig) and no fancy FX. Hopefully Ben will enjoy the next take a little more. unsure.gif

This post has been edited by Tom51: Aug 4 2015, 12:32 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 4 2015, 01:22 PM
Instructor
Hi Tom.

Yes, creating backing tracks with Cubase will work. It's good to have some training creating tracks to then be able to record your own music.

About picking lesson, yes, we can go for Tycho's style. This one seems easy but has some dynamics work that require special attention.

Finally, regrading the REC take. It's cool to post it here even at this level because you receive more points of view. I think that it's ok to use guitar rig but adding modulation can confuse the tuning when playing this kind of stuff so I recommend a cleaner sound.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Tom51
Aug 11 2015, 03:22 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Gab,
Please find below assignment 10 ear training. I listened to the 4 note melody once and played it then with my guitar from the sound I had in mind. Maybe I misunderstood this? Was it allowed with the guitar or should I only find the notes by listening and singing?

1 = CEGD
2 = CABC
3 = CDFA
4 = CGCE
5 = CBAF
6 = CDGE
7 = CEAG
8 = CADE
9 = CFED
10 = CAFD

Most of them should be ok?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 12 2015, 01:20 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! The results are excellent!

It's ok to use your guitar but it's also really helpful to try to do this without your guitar, and trying to identify the melody only with your ear and voice. Maybe you can re-do it and then compare answers... what do you think?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Tom51
Aug 12 2015, 02:53 PM
Learning Roadie
Yes, I will try to find this without guitar and let you know how it was.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 13 2015, 03:01 PM
Instructor
Ok. Keep me updated.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Tom51
Aug 22 2015, 04:58 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Gab,
some news... Its holiday season and I practiced a little less than weeks before (about 1h). But it was very focused and I really enjoyed it. Ear training without guitar is really tricky but gets better. I still use 15min for finding notes and ear training daily. Ear training helps a lot with finding the bending pitch. I no longer try to remember how much the string has to be bend to rech a certain note, I start relying on my ear.

Barre Chord Lesson
Was trying to be tight with the beat and get chord changes smoother. Sound comes from GuitarRig. Not so happy with my tone choice yet.
https://youtu.be/jj2K9S1HKmI

Buckethead Style Lesson
Did only play it about 15min daily but very concentrated and I feel I made some good progress here. At least I enjoy playing this one a lot. tongue.gif
https://youtu.be/bbCSbCaSAgI

I like the tone here more. Maybe if it gets better I should post a GR5 screenshot for what I used?

Tomorrow I would like to start with this lesson (in addition) because I really like the sound. Good idea?
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...ciante-lesson2/

Next week I will get back to my 1,5-2h routine.
Thanks much for your time and help!
Cheers Tom

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 22 2015, 08:46 PM
Instructor

Bare chords: Your guitar has tuning issues on this take. Your playing is good, you are changing chords smoothly most of the time. Your rhythm is also better and tight but I think that a more relaxed right hand movement would be this lesson groovier and with more natural dynamics. Try to feel more the overall groove while playing.

Buckethead lesson: Good job! This one is also getting better! There is off course room to improvements but the good news are that the overall lesson sounds much better, and that the second half which have more important problems is starting to get polished. The parts that I've marked on previous comments are the ones that are improving but also the ones that still need work to do so keep going!
About the tone, you're right! The clean tone sounds really good, and the solo section is also nice for this one. It sounds a bit like "stoner" but I like it...

Frusciante style lesson is a good choice to continue!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Tom51
Aug 25 2015, 03:22 PM
Learning Roadie
Tuning issues again...its a nightmare and makes me feel like an idiot.
I found out that my strings loose tuning very soon and B and G string are not in tune at 12th fret. (according to GuitarRig 8-9cent above tune) So just changed strings again. This time with some quality strings that hopefully will last longer. (Elixir 009-042)
Now I understand why there are professional guitar players that put on new set of strings before each stage session.
I have also learned to tune not only open string but check at 12th fret too.
Maybe I should have better bought one of these new Gibson LP with automatic tuning instead of a strat sad.gif .

Thanks for the encouraging feedback about Buckethead lesson. Will work hard to get this right.

This post has been edited by Tom51: Aug 25 2015, 03:23 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 25 2015, 07:18 PM
Instructor
Strats tuning can sometimes give some headaches. Good strings usually are more resistant and can last more time but the tuning is more related to tuners and guitar calibration. Professional guitarists change strings for each show, first because they have the money, secondly because there is less risk to break a string while playing, and on third place because of the extra bright that you get when strings are new.

I recommend you to take your guitar to a luthier to adjust calibration and to ask him about the quality of your tuners. That's the best move mate.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Tom51
Aug 28 2015, 01:01 PM
Learning Roadie
Thanks for your advise Gab. I will just give it a last try with the new strings. I tune it so often right now and except the B and C string where there is a very tiny difference at 12th fret its on spot. If I will have the same issues I will have it checked at a luthier.

Just recorded the Frusciante 2 lesson - do you hear any tuning issues?
https://youtu.be/nJhbkW8UywY

Btw: this is the first lesson I have learned in one week with 15min/day at final speed. I really enjoyed playing and learning it. Was very relaxed this time wink.gif

This post has been edited by Tom51: Aug 28 2015, 01:04 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 28 2015, 08:08 PM
Instructor
Hi Tom! Good job with this lesson! Your timing is really good! You have to continue playing it twice every day to get more comfortable and make the licks sound smoother, and also to adjust two things.

Vibrato: There are some of them that are weak and not consistent. (00:07, 00:16).

Slides: The slides at 00:23 are not sounding clear and smooth. Isolate them and make them sound strong.

Besides this, please work on the lick at 00:26, and the connection between slides and this lick exactly at 00;25.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Tom51
Sep 6 2015, 01:55 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Gab - here are some updates an videos.

Practice Schedule is currently (about 90min/day)

15min Ear Training
45min Improvising Workshop
10min Frusciante Lesson (new recording next weekend)
10min Buckethead
10min Barre Chords

Usually I spend a little more on the three lesson and often end up with 2h. My practice atmosphere has changed in that way that I am much more relaxed and enjoy each minute of playing. Even if progress is slow.
I stopped the learning notes on fretboard part as I now feel quite comfortable about that and can apply the knowledge at the Improvising workshop. That helps a lot.

Here is a new Buckethead - was also trying to get more dynamics in my playing (besides better timing, bending and vibrato)
https://youtu.be/Hisg5526iGA

Barre Chord - trying to feel the groove and play with a tuned guitar wink.gif
https://youtu.be/1CVL4LlUtPE

Cheers Tom

+Quote Post

23 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 11:08 AM