Strong Noise With When Only One Pickup Is In Use
Victor
Jan 5 2008, 06:35 AM
GMC:er
Hi, Recently I've got Fender Strat (about $700), but when I use only one pickup, I have really strong noise, especially when using distortion pedal. Is it an issue of this kind of guitar and single pickups, or it's just a bad one. Or may be there is some very strong electromagnetic field (WiFi, Cell phone.. whatever) cause this problem? Also noice getting louder if I rotate my guitar in space.
Is it any way how to reduce noise without using two pickups turned on simalteneously?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sabbz
Jan 5 2008, 06:40 AM
Right off the top of my head, I'd say check all the soldered connections for the pickup, especially at the 5-way switch. (I've found those connections usually fail before the others) and sometimes cleaning out the volume and tone pots with some compressed air can make a difference with scratchy/crackling noises. Truthfully though, you might just have a noisy pickup, too.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Sabbz: Jan 5 2008, 06:41 AM

--------------------
Gear I wish I still owned:
Schecter C-S1 Elite
Ovation CC48
Peavey 6505+ HS
Dunlop DB01 Crybaby From Hell
MXR KFK 10 Band EQ
EHX Holy Grail + Stereo Memory Man
MXR Smart Gate

+Quote Post
KloCkWorXx
Jan 5 2008, 07:11 AM
single coils hum, maybe u want some noiseless pickups, always could try shielding tape under the pick guard

--------------------
My gear:
epi zakk wylde
ec 1000 cherry
js 100 w dimarzios
dean from hell
5150 half stack
micro cube
Effects: boss delay dd-6, EH small clone chorus, Wylde Wah, Heil talkbox, Boss super overdrive, Rp 250
NS2 Noise Suppressor, DOD YJM308 Yngwie Malmsteen Overdrive

+Quote Post
Ctodd
Jan 5 2008, 07:38 AM
i have a mexican strat, and i got a similar humming/buzzing noise.

but only when the pickup switch is set to the second position (one click back from the front)
( so I would assume that this would combine 2 of the pickups) I dont really know that much, about my guitar, I'm still new.

it has bothered me forever! sad.gif

could anyone diagnose this problem as well?

It seems that the surroundings dont impact it at all, it seems to be just the guitar

is there anything i can do personally to stop the buzzing???

thanks,

Chris

--------------------
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Feb 5 2009, 03:41 AM) *
When you hear something that you really like, take guitar and kill the beast.

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jan 5 2008, 07:55 AM
it is hum. it's a strat. there is a reason it sounds like a strat. any attempt to change that will take away the pure strat sound. noiseless pickups do not sound like the classic strat sound. just work with it. when the hum is too bad, just use the two pickups together, that is in effect a humbucker.

+Quote Post
Victor
Jan 5 2008, 07:59 AM
Mine is also Mexican. I have identical hum on all of my pickups, and it's completely disappears if I use nearest coupe pickups. I've looked under the pick guard, everything looks good, weldings, etc. also it has shielding tape over there. May be you are right guys, noisy pickups.. But how I can be sure that if I'll buy new, they will be better? Is it any specific brand name or where I have to look on that.

Thanks fkalich, but it's getting too loud if I use distortion, and sound is really odd with two pickups which I don't want.

This post has been edited by Victor: Jan 5 2008, 08:00 AM

+Quote Post
Jakub Luptovec
Jan 5 2008, 08:58 AM
Learning Tone Guru
Hmm.. try to lower trebles - I have EMG's actives humbuckers and play through Death Metal pedal:-D But when i use distortion and get those trebles too high, even active humbuckers hum:-D Try to geek with the settings on amp and effect (or if you have built in distort - they suck most of the time:-D ) play with distorted channel knobs..

--------------------
my youtube account with riffs and ideas: https://www.youtube.com/user/Phoenygzus

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 5 2008, 12:03 PM
Instructor
Don't worry my friend lots of strats have that same noise. IT is from single pickups. You must shield them - take them to the repair shop, and wax them or something if you have good pups. If not, try putting some hums and noiseless pups in there.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jan 5 2008, 03:12 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Another thing to try is moving where you play your guitar around the room - it will probably vary a lot depending on where you stand and what angle you are. Turn off any obvious sources of hum such as PC monitors.

If you play with this you may find you can get a decent humless sound without sacrificing the tone of your single coil pickups.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jan 5 2008, 04:07 PM
Instructor
That's typical issue with singles,no worries. smile.gif
Bad thing would be if you have same noise on clean sound,hope you don't tho.
All you need is some NR and be sure not to stand too close to your amp,TV etc.

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Victor
Jan 5 2008, 10:28 PM
Thanks a lot guys. I'll try. Also I found on the internet Fender SCN Samarium Cobalt Noiseless Stratocaster Pickup Set. They are single too but as it written noise-free.. stange. Is anybody tryed them? Do they kill strat single coil sound or not?

+Quote Post
KloCkWorXx
Jan 5 2008, 10:42 PM
"Electro-Harmonix Hum Debugger Hum Eliminator Pedal completely and totally eliminates hum from any audio source." could try that pedal out.. quoted from there ad..

oh and do u play with your guitar with your cell phone in your pocket?? i know when i do i get weird hums and hisses haha...

--------------------
My gear:
epi zakk wylde
ec 1000 cherry
js 100 w dimarzios
dean from hell
5150 half stack
micro cube
Effects: boss delay dd-6, EH small clone chorus, Wylde Wah, Heil talkbox, Boss super overdrive, Rp 250
NS2 Noise Suppressor, DOD YJM308 Yngwie Malmsteen Overdrive

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jan 5 2008, 10:47 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Victor @ Jan 5 2008, 06:35 AM) *
Also noice getting louder if I rotate my guitar in space.

Nooo, that can't be true! Cos in space, noone can hear you play wink.gif

That's the thing with single coils, they are noisy that way. You could get a noice gate of some sort, a pedal, to get rid of it.

+Quote Post
Victor
Jan 5 2008, 11:04 PM
I found the reason! Thick wire goes along my all apartment unit under the ceiling. I have no idea what it is for, but when I move guitar closer to it, hum is getting extremely loud. May be shield tape over it helps.

Nooo, that can't be true! Cos in space, noone can hear you play

Haha smile.gif English isn't my native language and sometimes I can write funny things.

+Quote Post
Freebird
Jan 5 2008, 11:08 PM
Maybe they carry electrical signals like television or something other... electrical signal = magnetic field = noise on your pickups! Just stay away from it smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 6 2008, 03:33 PM
Instructor
GEt those noisless pickups, they are quality ones and they do have a bell like tone just like regular ones. They don't have exactly the sound like yours, but you will get used too them. There are several different noisless single pups, available from SD and DImarzio as well. Find what best suits for you on their sites.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 02:47 PM