How To Make A Really Grainy Distortion Tighter
Marc_Maiden
Mar 9 2009, 07:51 AM
GMC:er
hey guys, i wanna try to make my mesa distortion less "grainy" and a lot more smooth...and violin like

if its possible

im on a mesa mark I right now

i know a lot of the sound has to do with where my ears are in relation to the cab, but i just wanted to know if there was something i could do to tighten the sound up!

thanks!
Marc

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:
Atomic Reactor 2x12 Cab/power amp with a Digitech rp1000 as a preamp
Schecter c1 plus electric guitar

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
Mar 9 2009, 09:55 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Well... difficult to know really. A sound clip would maybe help to get a feeling for it.

But I'll give it a shot.
Too much gain is often a problem, roll back on the guitar volume knob or lower the gain on the amp or both. That
The volume knob on your guitar can do wonders and can really soften up the sound.

Playing with an closed back cab will also give a more tighter sound.

You could try different giutars or gifferent pickups i.e humbucker vs. single coils.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Skalde
Mar 9 2009, 10:07 AM
Learning Roadie
For a solo sound I use a lot of mids and not too much treble. Then I slightly add Reverb and some Chorus. For a really smooth sound I always try to use my neck pickup. I can advice the Dimarzio PAF Pro. It's a great solo pick up for the neck position.
Not sure if this was helpful biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Mar 9 2009, 01:30 PM
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product...edal?sku=150347

I use this with my Mesa. Instead of using the dirty channel I run this thing through it's clean channel. Most distortion pedals make playing full barre chords impossible, however this pedal is very articulated and responsive. It also delivers singing sustain (on my Les Paul). I really can't say enough about how awesome I think this pedal is. I used to be OCD about buying pedals, this one has sorta ended my search for distortion..

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Mar 9 2009, 01:44 PM
Instructor
Those are the advices I was gonna give too, try less gain, it will clean up your tone, especially in recordings!
I also use more mids while in lead mode, adds more harmonics and helps your lines come out more in the mix without necessarily having to put your guitar louder.

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Mar 9 2009, 02:27 PM
Instructor
I never use too much distortion and always sounds like it's more than enough. Many factors are important. Pickups, speaker, type of amp/preamp... If your amp distortion doesn't do the job, try only 30 or 40% of that distortion plus a bit more drive from some overdrive pedal. Don't go for extreme metal distortion pedals, those are only making noise. Overdrive pedal should be good.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Mar 9 2009, 03:05 PM
Instructor
Some great advices already in this thread !

I would lower gain and guitar volume at first. It is also very important to mess with EQ's a bit and find setting that works best for your sound. Higher mids seem to work , but I also like to do a bit opposite with higher Highs and Lows and lower Mids !
Try it out wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jesse
Mar 9 2009, 05:19 PM
Try, what emir said, turn volume/gain a bit lower, then use a pedal and turn the gain to around 2 and the level all the way up! Should work!

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Mar 9 2009, 05:53 PM
Instructor
And of course record clips of your different settings so that you can compare them.

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 9 2009, 06:11 PM
Instructor
Post a clip so we can hear it - then we will know what's it all about. But as others said mate, probably too much distortion is the issue. Sound is compressing when you record it on PC and it sounds more flat and grainy. There are a lot of tricks for making a good guitar sound, so sending a clip to hear what you hear would help us greatly in determining the sound you want.

PS if you have some examples on how you want your guitar to sound, that would help greatly too.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Sircraigery
Mar 13 2009, 12:07 AM
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Mar 9 2009, 03:05 PM) *
Some great advices already in this thread !

I would lower gain and guitar volume at first. It is also very important to mess with EQ's a bit and find setting that works best for your sound. Higher mids seem to work , but I also like to do a bit opposite with higher Highs and Lows and lower Mids !
Try it out wink.gif

I agree, I'd try the EQ first. On my mesa, my treble is always around 10:00, although I have that contour control which really helps to dial in a tone. It's sort of an instant sweep to adjust to what your looking for.... I can't really explain it. lol

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG2610E [BKP Cold Sweat]
Ibanez Prestige RG2550E [Carbon Fiber Plastics]
Ibanez Roadstar II RS-135 [Stock]
Quest Acoustic [Stock]

Effects:
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Boss DR-3 Dr. Rhythym

Amp:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

'Only the dead have seen the end of the war.' - Plato

+Quote Post
JamesT
Mar 13 2009, 02:43 AM
Accomplished Tone Master
Not sure if I saw anyone mention using a compressor yet. I like to turn the gain on the amp down, sometimes below what I normally use, and then add subtle compression to smooth it out.

Not sure if that will give you what you're after, but to me it sort of does what you describe especially on a solid state amp. I used to do this on my Boogie Mark II (should not have gotten rid of that amp mad.gif ) and it was a really cool sound. Kind of a growl. I haven't been able to re-create that sound since.

--------------------

Check out my YouTube Channel

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Mar 13 2009, 02:45 AM
QUOTE (JamesT @ Mar 12 2009, 06:43 PM) *
Not sure if I saw anyone mention using a compressor yet. I like to turn the gain on the amp down, sometimes below what I normally use, and then add subtle compression to smooth it out.

Not sure if that will give you what you're after, but to me it sort of does what you describe especially on a solid state amp. I used to do this on my Boogie Mark II (should not have gotten rid of that amp mad.gif ) and it was a really cool sound. Kind of a growl. I haven't been able to re-create that sound since.

didnt think of that one although using the presence + mids eq and turning down the treble i was able to achieve the sound i was looking for...

however, i am planning on getting a fully loaded pedal board soon, so ill give the compressor a try once i get it

thanks for your help everyone!

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:
Atomic Reactor 2x12 Cab/power amp with a Digitech rp1000 as a preamp
Schecter c1 plus electric guitar

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 03:23 AM