Advice On A Good, Affordable Axe For D-tuning
Southern Gent
Jun 10 2012, 07:42 PM
GMC:er
Hey,

I'm in the market for a new guitar, one that would be used mostly for playing Mastodon songs, and some other alternate tuning stuff. I'm looking to spend $150-$350(US). Not looking for extraordinary quality, just something that is well-built and will sound good and stay in tune at the lower tunings Mastodon songs require. I believe that you can find really decent guitars at a decent price, especially when its use is destined for higher distortion. If I find a decently built guitar, I can upgrade the tuners and pickups later for a fraction of the price of buying a top of the line Gibson or PRS or whatever, and will sound pretty good for my purposes.

Most Mastodon songs are in D-standard (DGCFAD), but many are also in drop-C (CGCFAD) and drop-A (AGCFAD) tunings. I would think a longer scale would help with the guitar not sounding too muddy with the lower string tensions, especially when talking about drop-C and drop-A. Correct me if I am wrong in that assumption. I'm tall too (6'6"), so the longer scale wouldn't bother me.

Any suggestions for brands/specific models that would be a good match for what I need? Something that is decent quality, relatively cheap, and will sound good and stay in tune with lower, aggressive tones?

Thanks

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Southern Gent: Jun 10 2012, 07:43 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:11 AM