> IS THAT YOUR MAMA?

Nope didn't think so either. We all know parents don't get this.

I can show you how to be the virtuoso your folks could only dream about, but I first need your help:

* Pm me and I will show you where to start. I am online every day and I will help you out directly!

* Join my mentoring program. I will customize your learning experience in a way you haven't experienced before. We will have regular contact so that you can remain inspired every day and eventually reach a new level.

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Oh and did you know that to become a killer guitarist you just need to focus on one thing? Everything
else is secondary. Pm me and I will explain.

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
My Band 101
Fran
Sep 13 2012, 05:53 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
What to say, there' so much experience and wisdom in this thread, so I followed Todd's advice and made it fit in a wiki entry that should make our Wiki Main Page soon.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/inde...Tips_%26_Advice

Keep them coming guys.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 14 2012, 07:06 PM
Instructor
Thank you Fran!

I will come up with goodies tomorrow biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Fran
Sep 15 2012, 04:18 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Cool, looking forward to more tips cool.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 16 2012, 03:40 PM
Instructor
How do I find the right people for my band?

I have chosen this particular topic as I am confronting the issue at this very moment!

Out bass player in Aria is rowing too much in other boats - if you dig what I am saying and far too less in ours. This has taken us to a great turning point, as his presence is questionable for the upcoming gig with 'Accept' on October the 21st.

How do we find the right people for our band? Well, I for one am looking for the following things in a new crew member:

- skill with the instrument
- looks/ attitude
- his OWN gear
- willingness to get involved
- character
- love for the project

In my opinion, these are the 6 essential things which you need to have in a band member/ team member in any field.

They may come in various proportions, so one who is less skilled but learns everything perfectly and has an immense level of involvement Plus love for the project, is clearly a winning option versus a super skilled dude who you have to go for at home in order to get him in the rehearsal room, or worse, on stage! Been there, done that wink.gif So, don't imagine that it's not possible biggrin.gif

So, talk with the candidate and do not make him feel at home already, if you decide you like him. He has to earn your trust and act as a professional in the first place. Making him feel at home could mean that he already IS a part of the band, which may not prove as a good idea. Instead, give him all the necessary support for performing well in the band both musically and logistically and be demanding.

Indeed, in each band, there are some people pulling all the strings and the rest which are only following, but make sure that your cart has all the necessary wheels to be able to move as fast as possible.

Remember: your band/ team is as weak as it's weakest member

I'm sure everyone here had similar experiences regarding band members, so let's hear some stories! I know Ben has some input here for certain!

Cosmin

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Sep 16 2012, 03:40 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 15 2012, 03:56 PM
Instructor
Permanent guest members

Well, as many of you may know, I am in the process of releasing a 6 song EP called 'Seeds' with my band, Aria, having all of it backed by a music video for the single - 'Meta'. As all things tend to happen at the right time smile.gif our bass player's options in life have changed and he decided it was time to quit Aria, to join a pop band having commercial success here in Romania. We didn't hold it against him, as he has a family to take care of - 1 kid and 1 on the way.

Now, we had to move fast and find a solution, which materialized itself in the idea of having guest bassplayers. There are two dudes with whom we are working - the bass player from Goodbye To Gravity, Alex, which is very good and has an awesome attitude on stage and another one, which is technically more advanced but has less attitude.

I think it's an easy out solution which keeps things simpler until we find THAT guy who'll have the chops, attitude and heart to stay with us.

We also shot the music video in 4 people, lacking the bass player as this is the current formula smile.gif it felt a little odd knowing there's no bass player in the video smile.gif Surprise!

Have you ever had to deal with finding a new member to fill in REALLY fast? If yes, tell us yer story! Arrrrrr! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
geoboi
Nov 5 2012, 10:26 PM
GMC:er
Hey Cosmin
Wow amazing what you are doing! I know effective logistics can help make a business run effectively. I'm sure your computer is involved in this venture some way. So to address a rather mundane point do you have your data backed up and is your backup backed up. If you lost your information, your computer was damaged or stolen, how would that impact what you are doing? Perhaps it's no big deal but a business must have data security. I used to be a technology guy and saw many businesses suffer greatly as a result of inaccessible or lost information, contacts, media, etc.
geo

This post has been edited by geoboi: Nov 5 2012, 10:41 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 6 2012, 09:44 AM
Instructor
Hey George, well, yes, I honestly confess that I have neglected the backing up lately, due to lack of time but thanks for reminding me man!

It would be hell on earth to lose all my stuff, as my whole activity revolves around my two computers, the laptop I am using this instant and the big pc in the studio.

Thanks again!

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 15 2012, 05:27 PM
Instructor
The LP/ EP CD - Making it the Oldschool Way

Well, since these days a lot of my time is dedicated to running around the city to solve various big/ small issues regarding the physical form and reproduction of the Days of Confusion - 'Seeds' CD, I had the un-opportunity of getting bumped in the face by the endless necessary procedures:

- The most important aspect - if you don't have a record label and you want to produce legal CDs on your own, you need a company having music business related things as a legally recognized activity to be recognized as the CD seller.
- Second, you need to sign contracts with a company that reproduces CDs having all the legal procedures taken care of
- The company that sells the CDs needs to give up the CD sales rights to the band
- There's an authority here called ORDA which keeps track of all the printed music material and you need a contract with them, having about 10 forms as appendixes.

I got through here up to this day so, tomorrow I will get bumped into the following stuff - keep your fingers crossed - Monday is the last day available when they should start production so that we're gonna get the CDs until the 29th smile.gif

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Nov 15 2012, 07:30 PM
Instructor
Man that sounds like a lot. It also sounds quite archaic in terms of music procedure ! ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 15 2012, 10:55 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Nov 15 2012, 06:30 PM) *
Man that sounds like a lot. It also sounds quite archaic in terms of music procedure ! ohmy.gif

Bro, it is sad.gif Archaic and anarchic biggrin.gif We are running short on cash, but we'll get some from somewhere... It's a hell ride!

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Nov 16 2012, 09:53 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 15 2012, 04:27 PM) *
The LP/ EP CD - Making it the Oldschool Way

Well, since these days a lot of my time is dedicated to running around the city to solve various big/ small issues regarding the physical form and reproduction of the Days of Confusion - 'Seeds' CD, I had the un-opportunity of getting bumped in the face by the endless necessary procedures:

- The most important aspect - if you don't have a record label and you want to produce legal CDs on your own, you need a company having music business related things as a legally recognized activity to be recognized as the CD seller.
- Second, you need to sign contracts with a company that reproduces CDs having all the legal procedures taken care of
- The company that sells the CDs needs to give up the CD sales rights to the band
- There's an authority here called ORDA which keeps track of all the printed music material and you need a contract with them, having about 10 forms as appendixes.

I got through here up to this day so, tomorrow I will get bumped into the following stuff - keep your fingers crossed - Monday is the last day available when they should start production so that we're gonna get the CDs until the 29th smile.gif

Cosmin

For the UK/US and most others what you need are the ISRC and UPC where necessary. You don't however need to be recognised as a CD seller - the ISRC refers to
the record label. The CD needs to be released on a recognised label, in the UK/US etc you can apply to be the label yourself and receive the appropriate ISRC.

MCP and equivalent digital permissions depending on format are also required if there are any covers of copyrighted material - including samples. As a professional mastering engineer I ask the client to ensure that they have these in place and I also ask for copies where necessary for our records. Replicators expect the same, some duplicators don't.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 16 2012, 03:40 PM
Instructor
Unfortunately, there are no labels here interested to help out ... The only ones are the dance/ house/ pop/ rnb ones, making loads of money off silly music smile.gif

It's DIY all the way, but if it's working, why not? I would very much like to take advantage of the things offered by a big serious label, but till then, I got a lot of mileage to cover biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Nov 16 2012, 06:14 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 16 2012, 02:40 PM) *
Unfortunately, there are no labels here interested to help out ... The only ones are the dance/ house/ pop/ rnb ones, making loads of money off silly music smile.gif

It's DIY all the way, but if it's working, why not? I would very much like to take advantage of the things offered by a big serious label, but till then, I got a lot of mileage to cover biggrin.gif

Yeah there's no matching the level of reach that a label can offer with promo, marketing, distribution etc.. but there's also no matching the level of control one has over their product when they're doing it alone..

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 17 2012, 02:02 AM
GMC:er
Thanks for keeping us in the loop!!! Sounds like you are seriously earning it!!!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Nov 17 2012, 02:03 AM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 17 2012, 02:21 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Nov 16 2012, 05:14 PM) *
Yeah there's no matching the level of reach that a label can offer with promo, marketing, distribution etc.. but there's also no matching the level of control one has over their product when they're doing it alone..

Indeed Ben, well, we chose to be DIY for this EP (not that we had other options tongue.gif) but who knows what will happen in the future? There is an opportunity of managing to send our stuff to Roadrunner, but hey, most probably there are another 100000 bands doing it smile.gif We'll try it anyway!

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 17 2012, 01:02 AM) *
Thanks for keeping us in the loop!!! Sounds like you are seriously earning it!!!

laugh.gif Todd biggrin.gif It's more like seriously spending it laugh.gif for now, I hope biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Nov 17 2012, 03:35 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 17 2012, 01:21 PM) *
Indeed Ben, well, we chose to be DIY for this EP (not that we had other options tongue.gif) but who knows what will happen in the future? There is an opportunity of managing to send our stuff to Roadrunner, but hey, most probably there are another 100000 bands doing it smile.gif We'll try it anyway!

Don't forget Nuclear Blast, Metal Blade etc.. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 18 2012, 02:28 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Nov 17 2012, 02:35 PM) *
Don't forget Nuclear Blast, Metal Blade etc.. smile.gif

Thanks man! On the list NOW biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 28 2012, 12:28 PM
Instructor
The Almighty Three

As I was telling you guys when I started this thread, Days of Confusion joined by Goodbye to Gravity and White Walls have formed a brotherhood of modern rock/ metal bands, in order to be able to better promote themselves and their music.

On December 5th, we have the first gig in this formula and at the gig ending, we will mix up among us to perform covers of famous metal bands - for the 5th, we have Killswitch Engage, Deftones and Breaking Benjamin on the list! biggrin.gif

Check out the artwork - done by the same dude that designed the Days of Confusion artwork, it features a trio of superheroes! One for each band!

Days of Confusion's hero is a sort of a Judge Dredd/ Edward Scissor Hands - complex yet straightforward, we unmasks people, stripping them to bare soul!

White Walls have the time wielding octopus/ scuba diver

Goodbye to Gravity have the astronaut dealing with gravity!

Together, they join forces to fight on the side of good music!

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Nov 28 2012, 02:15 PM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Nov 28 2012, 02:33 PM
Instructor
Brilliant idea C-Maestro !! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 28 2012, 05:50 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Nov 28 2012, 01:33 PM) *
Brilliant idea C-Maestro !! smile.gif

Thank you Ben biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 01:26 PM